So here is a bug I found with DDU.

James D

Post by James D »

What's up, boss? :lol:
Subject: notebook MSI GX70/GX60, different kind of these with 7970m or 8970m and Enduro (A8/A10 APUs like 5750M etc).
Problem: Using DDU for uninstalling all graphics drivers and then installing those brings a bug. Specifically Radeon Settings do not launch. However using AMD CleanUp Utility works like a charm.
Now further info is very important because this specific case is... very specific. These laptops have unique scheme of installing 2 drivers and I suspect that whereas some files or registries DDU misses don't bring a problem unless in specific scenarios like this.
In-deep details: 1. Uninstall drivers. 2. Install latest driver only (with a install inf method). 3. Install older legacy driver which installs full package of driver (for integrated only) and software. As you understood the Step 1 should be done with AMD CleanUp Utility instead of DDU otherwise... that bug.
Links: comment section of this youtube video and latest replies in AMD Community Forum
Now the funny part is I don't have this laptop:) I just shared the solution for GX laptops and got that feedback.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: So here is a bug I found with DDU.

Post by Wagnard »

James D wrote:What's up, boss? :lol:
Subject: notebook MSI GX70/GX60, different kind of these with 7970m or 8970m and Enduro (A8/A10 APUs like 5750M etc).
Problem: Using DDU for uninstalling all graphics drivers and then installing those brings a bug. Specifically Radeon Settings do not launch. However using AMD CleanUp Utility works like a charm.
Now further info is very important because this specific case is... very specific. These laptops have unique scheme of installing 2 drivers and I suspect that whereas some files or registries DDU misses don't bring a problem unless in specific scenarios like this.
In-deep details: 1. Uninstall drivers. 2. Install latest driver only (with a install inf method). 3. Install older legacy driver which installs full package of driver (for integrated only) and software. As you understood the Step 1 should be done with AMD CleanUp Utility instead of DDU otherwise... that bug.
Links: comment section of this youtube video and latest replies in AMD Community Forum
Now the funny part is I don't have this laptop:) I just shared the solution for GX laptops and got that feedback.
This is really interesting, i'll dig a little on this and see if I can find a solution.
I wish I had such a laptop, it would make things so much easier...

If you know someone with this laptop, could you ask them to use the latest DDU as it is possible it was fixed on 17.0.4.x version. I did add some more catch for the AMD Radeon Settings.
James D

Re: So here is a bug I found with DDU.

Post by James D »

Wagnard wrote:This is really interesting, i'll dig a little on this and see if I can find a solution. I wish I had such a laptop, it would make things so much easier...
If you know someone with this laptop, could you ask them to use the latest DDU as it is possible it was fixed on 17.0.4.x version. I did add some more catch for the AMD Radeon Settings.
I will ask but I sincerely doubt they will, they were stuck to 16.2.1 driver until recent method discovery (which involves several reboots) when they finally have all set up.
I didn't expect you spend much time on it considering everything, just decided to share interesting info. I know that this bug was noticed on 16.10 and above + legacy driver but surely will happen with other combos.