Corrupted Windows 10 from using DDU???

johnny2x4

Re: Corrupted Windows 10 from using DDU???

Post by johnny2x4 »

I've since reinstalled Windows 10 and ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, which came up with no errors.

I also checked the Samsung Magician (SSD) software, which said the SSD was in good condition.

Everything seems to be running fast and smooth for now, I feel that DDU was the cause of this, maybe the problem was there before but maybe just dormant at the time - and once DDU attempted to access/delete something it may have caused a trigger of events (just completely guessing at this point)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

johnny2x4 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:42 pm I've since reinstalled Windows 10 and ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, which came up with no errors.

I also checked the Samsung Magician (SSD) software, which said the SSD was in good condition.

Everything seems to be running fast and smooth for now, I feel that DDU was the cause of this, maybe the problem was there before but maybe just dormant at the time - and once DDU attempted to access/delete something it may have caused a trigger of events (just completely guessing at this point)
It's possible, at least your are up and running stable now.
Still sorry for all the trouble. Probably in the future i'll try putting more safety like system restore enabled to be a requirement or something else.
Pirre

Post by Pirre »

My computer seems to have suffered noticable consequences after installing Display Driver Uninstaller 17.0.5.4. In other words, my Windows 10 PC is noticably slower than before, which is clear when I move an Excel file which contains a few formulas; the file moves behind the pointer as if there is network lag. The FIrefox add-on Dashlane also appears slowly when launching Firefox. The moving movement is equally laggy when moving the explorer window when attaching the log files to this post, and it takes a few seconds for the search window to open folders in the file explorer.

However, the most extreme difference from before installing the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller is that one of my hard drives has disappeared. Normally, I have an SDD as my C drive and then two hard drives as drive D and E. Drive E is the one that has disappeared.

At the time of installing Display Driver Uninstaller 17.0.5.4, I also installed the latest AMD Catalyst drivers; Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1, but it turns out that they were not at fault, because Windows is still corrupted if I install an older AMD driver.

The only other thing that has updated recently is Dashlane, and there are no viruses or the like present on this computer. Before this happened, Display Driver Uninstaller has been working successfully for about three years without any alarming defects, so I hope that the described problems are caused by something else.

Does anyone have a good idea as to what could have been taking place...? The log files from the Display Driver Uninstaller folder are attached to this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pirre on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Pirre wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:53 pm My computer seems to have suffered noticable consequences after installing Display Driver Uninstaller 17.0.5.4. In other words, my Windows 10 PC is noticably slower than before, which is clear when I move an Excel file which contains a few formulas; the file moves behind the pointer as if there is network lag. The FIrefox add-on also appears slowly when launching Firefox. The moving movement is equally laggy when moving the explorer windows when attaching the log files to this post, and it takes a few seconds for the search windows to open folders in the search windows.

However, the most extreme difference from before installing the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller is that one of my hard drives has disappeared. Normally, I have an SDD as my C drive and then two hard drives as drive D and E. Drive E is the one that has disappeared.

At the time of installing Display Driver Uninstaller 17.0.5.4, I also installed the latest AMD Catalyst drivers; Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.2.1, but it turns out that they were not at fault, because Windows is still corrupted if I install an older AMD driver.

The only other thing that has updated recently is Dashlane, and there are no viruses or the like present on this computer. Before this happened, Display Driver Uninstaller has been working successfully for about three years without any alarming defects, so I hope that the described problems are caused by something else.

Does anyone have a good idea as to what could have been taking place...? The log files from the Display Driver Uninstaller folder are attached to this post.
For testing purposes, (when computer is shutdown) disconnect drive e physically (both power and sata cable) and see if performance is back.

Personally I suspect that something has gone wrong with your E: or its connection. A slow down. like you described. is quite usual when a drive is plugged but not detected (either a bad drive or bad connection)

Also, does the bios see it?

EDIT: I have looked at your log and they look normal. No HDD controller or disk has been removed. It really seems to be a hardware issue. I really recommend that you check the E: drive and its connections,
Pirre

Post by Pirre »

Thank you for the quck reply, Wagnard!

I forgot to say that the E drive was empty and therefore not in use in Windows, so it was only connected and accessible in Windows. Anyhow, I formatted the C drive, but the computer was still running slowly. Just before the formatting, I also checked in the BIOS to see if the E drive was there, but it wasn't. It reappeared after the format, though.

After that, I disconnected the E drive completely and booted up the PC. At first, the computer was still running slowly, and it took a while to even load icons in Windows, but now it is running as fast as it normally does. I even checked the status of the SSD drive, which is where C: is, and its health is fine, according to SSDLife.

This problem is puzzling, but perhaps it is a hardware failure, as you say. The computer components themselves are about 3,5 years old, so one of them could be starting to wear out.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Pirre wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:02 pm Thank you for the quck reply, Wagnard!

I forgot to say that the E drive was empty and therefore not in use in Windows, so it was only connected and accessible in Windows. Anyhow, I formatted the C drive, but the computer was still running slowly. Just before the formatting, I also checked in the BIOS to see if the E drive was there, but it wasn't. It reappeared after the format, though.

After that, I disconnected the E drive completely and booted up the PC. At first, the computer was still running slowly, and it took a while to even load icons in Windows, but now it is running as fast as it normally does. I even checked the status of the SSD drive, which is where C: is, and its health is fine, according to SSDLife.

This problem is puzzling, but perhaps it is a hardware failure, as you say. The computer components themselves are about 3,5 years old, so one of them could be starting to wear out.
Yeah look like a hardware issue from what you say. Anyway I know DDU isn't at cause here since you formatted.

Also , check the windows event viewer, there could be some hint in there too.
Pirre

Post by Pirre »

Unfortunately, the logs from before the format are gone, and the current ones don't show anything especially troublesome. We will likely not get any further in finding the actual causeof the problem, aside from knowing that it isn't DDU.

Thank you for the help so far!