A message to anyone using DDU, and if you do, why you should donate. (From a Team Green member)

zhair

A message to anyone using DDU, and if you do, why you should donate. (From a Team Green member)

Post by zhair »

So recently NVIDIA of course, was being screwy with stuff related to my computer. Right clicking the desktop was slow, and many other things.

Like normal, I download a fresh copy of DDU and do my normal Safe Mode, Clean, Restart, Install. I've never had issues with this before, but after trying to install GFE (I actually use it because I find it to be the best screen recording solution for me), it would give me this error "Something went wrong, try restarting Geforce Experience." So I whipped out my Google-Fu and my limited knowledge as a second year Computer Science student, and tried every solution I found on Google and everything I could think of. Checked services.msc, checked Task Manager, tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. After getting severely frustrated, I went ahead and restored my C: to a few days ago, and tried the process over (since the problem that started this in the first place was still there). Boot DDU, Safe Mode, Clean, Install. But yet the problem still persisted.

Frustrated and beaten, I took to the fourms, untill evenetually coming across the DDU creator on the NVIDIA fourms and sent him an email with all my logs. After a few emails were exchanged, he offered to TeamViewer into my system and solve the issue.

After quite a bit of troubleshooting on his end and trying to figure it out, (over the course of 1-2 hours on a Tuesday afternoon), he managed to track the issue down to my permissions being extremely wrong under C:\ProgramData. Something totally unrelated to both NVIDIA and DDU. I had assumed that DDU was the cause of my issues, but that was not the case. Ghislain Harvey, the creator of DDU, took a long while out of his day to fix the issue for me.

Now I NEVER buy software or donate to any free software. I know, I'm terrible. But as a college student making 10/hr with crappy hours, I went ahead and donated one of my hours work to him even though he didn't ask. He appreciated the cold beer :)

My thanks go out to Ghislain to spending the time to fix my issue. People, if you are considering donating to any software, donate to DDU.

Sponsor

Sponsor