windows 10 20H2, OS build 19042.928

vors

Post by vors »

hi. so I don't know, I ran into an oddity. I made a post on guru3d because I thought DDU was being developed there.
I'm mainly writing bc I'm pissed windows took it upon itself to ignore ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate and maybe something else needs to be set.
While I did enable the 'no driver' option in DDU, I didn't want to check anymore what that really does (if it only sets ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate or does more)

I have set

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001
and every time I start windows after running DDU in safe mode, Windows keeps installing files into C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository specifically
u0360470.inf_amd64_35c64671e7fac064
u0360518.inf_amd64_bb1458fc01b97b57
which are 1 GB each and these are AMD drivers. I have no idea where fkn windows is pulling these from. nothing's being downloaded.

I deleted the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and the \Download folder came back (but not via download).

I deleted the files from \FileRepository with a SYSTEM cmd started via psexec and the \FileRepository crap came back.

Disk Cleanup gives me 4.38 GB for Windows Update Cleanup and I don't feel like using that yet.

I used amdcleanuputility.exe and same crap. Files in \FileRepository were gone but after about 30 seconds windows installed drivers.

Windows was fetching the drivers from somewhere after only 30-60s when rebooted. The driver was in
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization\Cache\edbbe5c647e34d7a3d5ff7b399cfdf932cbcae34
and it was called content.bin

I also wanted to find the call/service that invoked that download. ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate was not being honored at all. Once I disabled the network in ncpa.cpl and turned it back on after five or so minutes, while doing some other sh, Windows didn't download anything.

The screen shot tries to show what calls (C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs -p -s pushtoinstall) were being made to either start downloading content.bin or install content.bin. I eventually lost patience.
I forgot to write down what service it was too.

Clipboard01zcz.png

this one probably installs after the download

driv2.png

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2020-‎06-‎19
OS build 19042.928
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: windows 10 20H2, OS build 19042.928

Post by Wagnard »

Hi,
What DDU does when we are telling to not download driver is changing the value of "SearchOrderConfig" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching

What it does is preventing device manager from seeking windows update to download drivers.
It does not prevent Windows update to download driver.

The best option for DDU as always been disconnecting the internet , do your driver stuff, then enable internet at the end.

The are of course some group policy possibility too but they are not always applicable for both Windows home vs professional