Microsoft Released Windows 10 Build 10166

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Microsoft released 10166 on the FAST ring.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jackalito

Re: Microsoft Released Windows 10 Build 10166

Post by Jackalito »

Personal findings with build 10166 so far

Problems apparently fixed:
With build 10162 (Clean Install): In any session, the first time I would open 'Action Center' the 'Quick Action' buttons would not be displayed. Invoking 'Action Center' again would fix it until the current session was finished.
Now it's working as expected.
With build 10162 and previous ones: Specific item text size configuration would get reset to their default values after changing the general zoom (+100%). Moreover, after applying a new general zoom and having signed out and back in, the options for modifying the text size for specific items would be greyed out and, therefore, couldn't be changed.

Only 'workaround' I had found so far was setting the general zoom back to 100%, and after having signed out and back in, I could then set the text size of specific items from their default values again.
With builds 10158, 10159 & 10162 (Clean Install): As soon as I increased the default audio format for my built-in Realtek chipset (ALC887 on motherboard ASUS Z87-K), I would completely lose audio and couldn't keep on testing it. Only workaround I'd found so far was to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them manually or through Windows Update.

I had tried several drivers including v6.0.1.7550 BETA (July 2, 2015) without success. I realized there might have been some major changes in the Windows audio engine and new drivers may be needed for my system, as this had not happened to me in previous builds of Windows 10. Ultimately, it would seem it was a bug on Windows team.
Audio (including 5.1) is working as expected now.
With build 10162 (Clean install): Start Menu used to close itself after a few seconds if no action was done from my side (no key pressed no mouse cursor movement). This may have been something only I was affected with, because it doesn't seem very popular.
But, for what it's worth, it's working as expected with 10166.
Problems still to be solved:
With build 10166 (Clean Install): µTorrent application shortcut can't be found easily by using Windows Search, even though the application is installed on the system. Deeper search using Windows Search does find the shortcut. It may be related to the fact that the application is not installed on 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)', but on '%APPDATA%\uTorrent\'
With builds 10162 & 10166 (Clean Install): Sometimes when I copy files from a drive to different one, the default action while dragging-dropping the files is 'move' instead of 'copy'. I've reproduced this issue by attempting to copy files from a hard disk drive to a WD USB 3.0 HDD; and also while attempting the same operation from an internal SATA3 SSD to an internal SATA3 HDD.
With build 10166 (Clean Install): After setting a custom general UI zoom of 115%, some System Icons are not displayed correctly, especially the ones for Notifications and Network. This has been happening for some time with previous builds as well.
With build 10166 (Clean Install): Wrong time format is displayed on the Lock Screen under the following circumstances: When I switch on my computer, restart it or sign out. In other words, at the beginning of a new session as soon as I reach the Lock Screen.

In my case, I have properly set up the time to always display the 24-hour format, but in those cases it is shown in the 12-hour one.
Once I have signed in with my Microsoft account and I manually lock the screen by pressing (Winkey+L), the right time format is displayed, in my case the 24-hour one.

This did happen in build 10162 but not in builds 10158 and 10159.
With build 10166 (Clean Install) - Mail v17.6004.42261.0: Still having major issues with Gmail accounts. They don't get properly synced: their folders don't get automatically refreshed when I perform tasks such as deleting messages from another device, there's no real time notifications when new e-mail messages arrives. etc.

Additionally, real time notifications don't always work when Mail is closed. The notifications don't always show up on the new Notifications/Action Center. I've replicated this behavior by sending e-mails from the Gmail web client to my Insider Microsoft Account. The notifications are hit or miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

In short, it's a mess; it has been failing for a long time at doing such basic stuff. At this moment, I doubt about this app (Mail) to be ready for prime time on July 29th.
All of this has already been reported through the official channels to Microsoft.

What's your experience with the new build so far?
Cheers!
In space no one can hear you scream.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Jackalito wrote:Personal findings with build 10166 so far

Problems apparently fixed:
With build 10162 (Clean Install): In any session, the first time I would open 'Action Center' the 'Quick Action' buttons would not be displayed. Invoking 'Action Center' again would fix it until the current session was finished.
With build 10162 and previous ones: Specific item text size configuration would get reset to their default values after changing the general zoom (+100%). Moreover, after applying a new general zoom and having signed out and back in, the options for modifying the text size for specific items would be greyed out and, therefore, couldn't be changed.

Only 'workaround' I had found so far was setting the general zoom back to 100%, and after having signed out and back in, I could then set the text size of specific items from their default values again.
With builds 10158, 10159 & 10162 (Clean Install): As soon as I increased the default audio format for my built-in Realtek chipset (ALC887 on motherboard ASUS Z87-K), I would completely lose audio and couldn't keep on testing it. Only workaround I'd found so far was to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them manually or through Windows Update.

I had tried several drivers including v6.0.1.7550 BETA (July 2, 2015) without success. I realized there might have been some major changes in the Windows audio engine and new drivers may be needed for my system, as this had not happened to me in previous builds of Windows 10. Ultimately, it would seem it was a bug on Windows team.
Audio (including 5.1) is working as expected now.
With build 10162 (Clean install): Start Menu used to close itself after a few seconds if no action was done from my side (no key pressed no mouse cursor movement). This may have been something only I was affected with, because it doesn't seem very popular.
But, for what it's worth, it's working as expected with 10166.
Problems still to be solved:
With build 10166 (Clean Install): µTorrent application shortcut can't be found easily by using Windows Search, even though the application is installed on the system. Deeper search using Windows Search does find the shortcut. It may be related to the fact that the application is not installed on 'Program Files' or 'Program Files (x86)', but on '%APPDATA%\uTorrent\'
With builds 10162 & 10166 (Clean Install): Sometimes when I copy files from a drive to different one, the default action while dragging-dropping the files is 'move' instead of 'copy'. I've reproduced this issue by attempting to copy files from a hard disk drive to a WD USB 3.0 HDD; and also while attempting the same operation from an internal SATA3 SSD to an internal SATA3 HDD.
With build 10166 (Clean Install): After setting a custom general UI zoom of 115%, some System Icons are not displayed correctly, especially the ones for Notifications and Network. This has been happening for some time with previous builds as well.
With build 10166 (Clean Install): Wrong time format is displayed on the Lock Screen under the following circumstances: When I switch on my computer, restart it or sign out. In other words, at the beginning of a new session as soon as I reach the Lock Screen.

In my case, I have properly set up the time to always display the 24-hour format, but in those cases it is shown in the 12-hour one.
Once I have signed in with my Microsoft account and I manually lock the screen by pressing (Winkey+L), the right time format is displayed, in my case the 24-hour one.

This did happen in build 10162 but not in builds 10158 and 10159.
With build 10166 (Clean Install) - Mail v17.6004.42261.0: Still having major issues with Gmail accounts. They don't get properly synced: their folders don't get automatically refreshed when I perform tasks such as deleting messages from another device, there's no real time notifications when new e-mail messages arrives. etc.

Additionally, real time notifications don't always work when Mail is closed. The notifications don't always show up on the new Notifications/Action Center. I've replicated this behavior by sending e-mails from the Gmail web client to my Insider Microsoft Account. The notifications are hit or miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

In short, it's a mess; it has been failing for a long time at doing such basic stuff. At this moment, I doubt about this app (Mail) to be ready for prime time on July 29th.
All of this has already been reported through the official channels to Microsoft.

What's your experience with the new build so far?
Cheers!
It generally work well for me except theses:

-nVidia Cuda seems to be unavailable for certain application. GPU-Z , DVDFAB

-Mail is having serious problem with Gmail and notification in general. (80% of the time I don't get notified)
Jackalito

Post by Jackalito »

Wagnard wrote:-Mail is having serious problem with Gmail and notification in general. (80% of the time I don't get notified)
This is something that's driving me crazy. After a quick glance at the feedback people are submitting through the Windows Feedback app on Windows 10 and on the forums in general, and it's quite clear it's an epic fail and a mess overall.

If this is going to be the state of Mail when RTM is among us, then I'll set out to find a replacement for it. I don't look for anything particularly fancy, just functional for heaven's sake :lol:
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Jackalito wrote:
Wagnard wrote:-Mail is having serious problem with Gmail and notification in general. (80% of the time I don't get notified)
This is something that's driving me crazy. After a quick glance at the feedback people are submitting through the Windows Feedback app on Windows 10 and on the forums in general, and it's quite clear it's an epic fail and a mess overall.

If this is going to be the state of Mail when RTM is among us, then I'll set out to find a replacement for it. I don't look for anything particularly fancy, just functional for heaven's sake :lol:
I hope RTM will magically fix everything lol.
Jackalito

Post by Jackalito »

Wagnard wrote:I hope RTM will magically fix everything lol.
So do I. Fingers crossed as I keep submitting feedback. But quite honestly, I can picture myself looking for a working alternative on 29th :lol:
Watcher

Post by Watcher »

I find AskVG to be a decent site to keep on top of OS topics.
You'll find a listing of topics about Windows 10 and how to resolve some of the common issue you may run across.

http://www.askvg.com/

http://www.askvg.com/category/windows-10/
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Got an MAIL app update today. Notifications seems to work. There are still a few bug here and there too complicated to write here... But at least they are improving .