ISLC 0.4882ms Timer Resolution (Please Help)

Helianthemum

Post by Helianthemum »

So I've installed Intelligent Standby List Cleaner earlier today to try to help with gaming performance on Windows 10. The problem is, I can't seem to get a perfect 0.5ms timer resolution; no matter what I do, it's sat at 0.4882ms. From everything I've read, if the resolution's not an even 0.5, it'll cause problems.

I followed the instructions on this post here, though it's made no difference. I should also mention that I am entirely unable to find HPET in BIOS, and I don't seem to have an HPET driver listed under system devices in the Device Manager, even with "show hidden devices" checked.

I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: ISLC 0.4882ms Timer Resolution (Please Help)

Post by Wagnard »

Helianthemum wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:21 am So I've installed Intelligent Standby List Cleaner earlier today to try to help with gaming performance on Windows 10. The problem is, I can't seem to get a perfect 0.5ms timer resolution; no matter what I do, it's sat at 0.4882ms. From everything I've read, if the resolution's not an even 0.5, it'll cause problems.

I followed the instructions on this post here, though it's made no difference. I should also mention that I am entirely unable to find HPET in BIOS, and I don't seem to have an HPET driver listed under system devices in the Device Manager, even with "show hidden devices" checked.

I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sometimes in the bios, HPET is referred as the High precision event timer. Also why do you need such a timer? usually 1ms is enough.
Helianthemum

Post by Helianthemum »

Unfortunately, no such option as "high precision event timer" exists either. I'd be willing to PM you screenshots of my BIOS screens if that'd help (if it's even possible to screencap BIOS—admittedly, I'm not the tech-savviest person in the world).

As for why I need the timer, my default system timer resolution is 15.6ms which is very noticeable in games; my research seems to suggest 0.5ms is ideal for gaming.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Helianthemum wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:30 pm Unfortunately, no such option as "high precision event timer" exists either. I'd be willing to PM you screenshots of my BIOS screens if that'd help (if it's even possible to screencap BIOS—admittedly, I'm not the tech-savviest person in the world).

As for why I need the timer, my default system timer resolution is 15.6ms which is very noticeable in games; my research seems to suggest 0.5ms is ideal for gaming.
Usually, games will set the timer to 1ms by themself, steam itself set it to 1ms
Helianthemum

Post by Helianthemum »

If monitoring ISLC is anything to go by, the games I play are not setting my timer resolution to 1ms (or, indeed, changing my timer resolution at all). I also don't use Steam for whatever that's worth.
Helianthemum

Post by Helianthemum »

Steam is unnecessary for the games that I play (mostly World of Warcraft, or older single-player games), and I get most of my games through GoG. I'm also not keen on having to fuss with DRM whenever I just wanna play an offline game, so Steam simply isn't for me.

If anyone else has any other insight on my issue, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've searched and asked in a few other places and everyone seems to be just as stumped as I am, so I'm really hoping I can find the answer here. :/
itzBenzo

Post by itzBenzo »

Hey,

To get 0.5 ms try this commands:

Firs run cmd as a Admin

Copy paste 1 at a time

bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

bcdedit /set deletevalue useplatformclock

If the last one says cant find the file, than HPET was disabled before and doesnt matter

Reset PC and it should Show 0.5ms, works for me

IMPORTANT:
DO NOT TURN ON HPET IF ITS ALREADY DISABLED. YOU SHOULD NOT USE THE TURN ON COMMAND UNLESS IT WAS ALREADY ON AND YOU TURNED IT OFF AND WISH TO RE ENABLE IT.

Turn OFF HPET is this command:
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

IF its disabled by default you get a error, but if it enabled and this command turns it off for you, and you want HPET to be ON again use this command.

Turn on HPET:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock yes

Again dont Turn it on if it was off by default, only if you turned it off before and wish to Turn it on again.

Because if you turn it ON , doing so can cause Major Slow downs and can take up to 20mins to get it back off.

Sry for Bad english, i hope it helps you and you have an even 1ms, 0.5ms after the 3 first commands

Edit: leave HPET in the BIOS enabled and dont disable it there, thats a big mistake, Enabled in BIOS and Disabled in Windows with CMD run as Admin.