Error: Windows is running low on memory.

empleat

Post by empleat »

Hello,
i have 16GB ram and even when i have 8GB free ram, my game crashes with message ERROR: Windows is running low on memory. While i am have page file on 800mb, that can be it, but i don't wanna increase it, because it wears down ssd quickly. And i don't want put it to hdd, so i don't have freezes in my games, when stuff is loading... Windows memory management is joke... Some games won't even start, or crash with page file turned off. Even if i have 8GB ram free... And even with page file, games are crashing, probably because i put it to low value. I have currently ISLC set to 1024 and 6500MB, i am gonna try other settings, but this is annoying. I heard even with 32 GB ram, that games crashing, because memory leak, or what not. It is so annoying... Seems like there is no other option to put page file to certain value and leave it there. I will try different values for this and ISLC and will see, but still, it is annoying to be forced using page file with 16GB ram and it wears down ssd quickly!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Error: Windows is running low on memory.

Post by Wagnard »

empleat wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:10 pm Hello,
i have 16GB ram and even when i have 8GB free ram, my game crashes with message ERROR: Windows is running low on memory. While i am have page file on 800mb, that can be it, but i don't wanna increase it, because it wears down ssd quickly. And i don't want put it to hdd, so i don't have freezes in my games, when stuff is loading... Windows memory management is joke... Some games won't even start, or crash with page file turned off. Even if i have 8GB ram free... And even with page file, games are crashing, probably because i put it to low value. I have currently ISLC set to 1024 and 6500MB, i am gonna try other settings, but this is annoying. I heard even with 32 GB ram, that games crashing, because memory leak, or what not. It is so annoying... Seems like there is no other option to put page file to certain value and leave it there. I will try different values for this and ISLC and will see, but still, it is annoying to be forced using page file with 16GB ram and it wears down ssd quickly!
I don't think ISLC can fix your error message. I honestly would look to re-install your system because the crash with 8GB free of RAM is abnormal.
empleat

Re: Error: Windows is running low on memory.

Post by empleat »

Hmm that's not it, i reinstalled system for another reason. But that may be small page file, or i don't know, i dislike having large page file to not waste ssd, but i will be forced to probably. I had 44% of free memory and my game just freezes, no crash. And when i open task manager, it says: close some of these processes to free up system memory. So weird, yet 44% of memory is free. And when i increase ISCL's free remaining memory to 9000MB, it is not crashing, but problem each time standby memory is getting cleaned game freezes, just for a moment but it is annoying nevertheless.

I put pagefile to 2943 max and it works fine now 30 minutes. Seems like windows doesn't let you get away without page file. While ram is free, damn... :evil:

I also lowered value before ISLC acts to 4096, because when it cleared memory often game was freezing at that moment. Maybe i should try Process Lasso's smart trim, it says it is better than most ram optimizers and doesn't release every working memory at once, but it depends on many criterias, from setting it looks same.