A series of unfortunate events.

Here you can chat about anything as long as it is legal, respectful and that respect the rules
CHVNGE

Post by CHVNGE »

Hello guys.

I have recently been have numerous error's with my laptop since updating to Windows 10 and have had display problems ever since. It was around November time i noticed I could no longer update Windows. I tried many different workarounds to no avail. I have recently restored my laptop to its factory settings and I am now running on Windows 8.1.
I have had many game crash problems with Windows 10. Initially I had some Audio problems playing a game called SQUAD where my audio would become muted and I would lose any kind of cursor display input. I would generally just restart the game and it would work fine and it rarely ever happen again.
But since updating my GPU with the latest drivers for Rise of the Tombraider I kept getting a "Windows Nvidia Kernal version xxx.x has stopped working and has restarted " at between 2-5 minutes of gameplay. I would also have more random crashes while trying to play a game called Naval Action.
While still on Windows 10 I tried using some older versions of Nvidia drivers and I had somewhat improved the problem with a driver that came out for Mad Max and MGSV. The problem seemed to crash less frequently and I received slightly longer gameplay between crashes.
I tried many times to uninstall drivers and use the latest available drivers and the problem still persisted.
I have used a number of hardware stress tests to see if there is any underlying problem with any hardware and I have found no faults with anything.
So since knowing that I could no longer update Windows 10 to the latest version I believed that this may have caused the problem along. So I decided to try to reinstall Windows 10 and at the end of trying to reinstall, Windows prompted me with a "Windows could not update properly and now changes have been made".
My laptop restarted but with no image displayed and I would get an 8 audio beep error. After doing some research I came across an article that explained that I needed to remove the battery then remove and return the CMOS battery. By doing this I can access the bios to check for a setting "Non-Turbo Flex Support" is enabled. I was to then hit F10 to save.
It worked.. my laptop monitor was once again working. But upon doing another restart I again had no display with an 8 beep audio error.
So I looked for other workarounds and came across an article mentioning to set the laptop to a second display using a HDMI cable. I did this and I was able to get around my PC using my second screen. And then randomly my laptop screen comes back on. it seems that for some reason that my laptop is switching between dedicated and onboard and for some reason sometimes my monitor wont respond to one or the other until I access my desktop using a second screen. I'm not to sure how accurate my description is so far trying to explain this to you. All these problems seem to have merged into on fine mess.
Basically I'm running on Windows 8.1 with the latest Nvidia drivers using your DDU program to uninstall any leftover remnants of previous drivers but I'm still getting these annoying crashes. That being said, once I initially used your program I honestly thought it fixed the problem because i managed to play my game for awhile and never crashed. But once trying to play earlier I crashed again,

I was wondering what that other tool you have created TDR Manipulater would help because I see another possible fix for my problem involving changing QWORD for TDR Delay in the registry but I'm not too confident messing around in that area.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated and any other info you need i can provide.

Thank you

David

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: A series of unfortunate events.

Post by Wagnard »

TDR Manipulator does exactly what you said with the Q-value in the registry. But its from a nice little GUI. (easier to manage)
For the rest of your issues, check to see if there is a BIOS update for your machine.
Also, if you updated from 8.1 to 10, you might want to consider fresh installing Windows 10 instead as sometimes the "upgrade" could be problematic. Anyway In my case I always fresh install as I have saw to many issues when upgrading to another OS version.
CHVNGE

Post by CHVNGE »

Hey thanks for speedy reply mate much appreciated.
I am sticking with the original OS that came with the laptop Windows 8.1 and I have downloaded and installed what dell diagnostics prompted me to install.. one of which was a pair of BIOS updates.

As for the TDR Manipulator is there any documentation on guidelines or maybe a tutorial source you could direct me to. And finally do you believe this tool can fix my problem regarding "Windows Nvidia kernel driver has stopped responding and has restarted".
I have also tried do put everything I can on high performance regarding GPU and system power management.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

CHVNGE wrote:Hey thanks for speedy reply mate much appreciated.
I am sticking with the original OS that came with the laptop Windows 8.1 and I have downloaded and installed what dell diagnostics prompted me to install.. one of which was a pair of BIOS updates.

As for the TDR Manipulator is there any documentation on guidelines or maybe a tutorial source you could direct me to. And finally do you believe this tool can fix my problem regarding "Windows Nvidia kernel driver has stopped responding and has restarted".
I have also tried do put everything I can on high performance regarding GPU and system power management.
Most is already quite well identified within the application.
In all honesty, changing the TDR value usually do not fix the issue you have. Most of the time it will either produce a System Freeze instead of recovering or simply get longer before the crash.
Anyway, you have nothing to lose from trying it.

According to what I'm ready, you are back to Win 8.1 Are you still experiencing the issues? It seems that you had the issues only on Windows 10?

If you are back on windows 8.1 and still having issues, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the hardware.

Anyway, I could analyse the ".dmp" for you and see if I see something weird. They are usually located there : C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG