What am I doing wrong?

noparts

What am I doing wrong?

Post by noparts »

No matter how many times I COMPLETELY UNINSTALL my graphics card, and then REINSTALL the drivers provided by the oem, all my programs/games that automatically query my system for the card info - so that they can setup their respective programs/games - the result is ALWAYS the same! I happen to be using an Asus graphics card. However, my attempts to get some resolve via their support network, has been absurd. It is as if I'm getting support from a chat bot. I spell out my problem in as much detail as I can, citing the drivers I have tried - namely the AMD reference drivers and the obvious reason(s) why they are not correct; that the Asus-provided drivers are the correct choice - for my particular card. Each response is almost exactly the same as the previous. Plus, I am replying to each of their messages, so there is naturally a means for them to see that they aren't solving anything, but are creating a sort of loop. If that makes any sense.

All of that notwithstanding for the moment; as I was sure that the issue was the age-old problem of Windows not properly uninstalling, all of which was installed, in the first place. The lazy-a$$ coders at Microsoft, who get away with this type of thing, release after release after release... (A fix, they say, is always forthcoming; but it never comes). Okay, fine. That's where programs, such as DDU, can roll in and virtually save the day!
Unfortunately, even an app as powerful as DDU, could not right whatever is wrong - at least, not in my case. As I said, I went to Asus first, started a case - I even documented each point, with screenshots (which they suggested; otherwise I would never have thought to get driver-related screenshots...) In a nutshell:

I upgraded my graphics card to: ASUS Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB GDDR5.
I replaced a: MSI Radeon HD6670 1GB GDDR5.

No remnants of the MSI card were left, anywhere, on my system. (I checked. At this point, though, I was unaware of DDU.)
So, I thought, rather than use the drivers provided by ASUS, with the centuries-old-and-decrepit CatalystControlCenter, I would try the reference drivers from AMD. Moreover, I now have a card that would allow me to install the highly regarded Crimson GUI! CCC, is after all, so boring! (I know; what a douche - right?)
Because I had no reason to underestimate the remarkable Crimson Adrenaline package, I didn't realize what was really going on, for at least a week.
So the new install came out like this:

From inf: "%AMD6810.11%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6810&REV_00
Which equates to: AMD6810.11 = "AMD Radeon R9 200 Series"
Yes, the card I have does fall in the "200 Series". Yes, they were "Reference Drivers". Yes, I'm a moron. I made a really poor choice, by going with Crimson. And, to make matters (somewhat) worse, Crimson - in my opinion - wasn't all that great. But here I am, about sick to death over the fact that this should easily be resolved - but actually is not. Anyway, currently:

There are 15 instances of the "200 Series" in my registry (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet -thru- HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet003...) that won't go away. I've edited them one-by-one to reflect the correct information - EXTREMELY time consuming, even using a full featured registry editor! The edits just don't survive a system reboot. I thought for sure, DDU would be able to remove them for good. I even deleted them myself, booted into safe mode and ran DDU again; but to no avail. It would stand to reason, that it's these registry keys that are being used to determine the card and what it's capable of. Unless, of course, there is a data, bin, or other file that resides somewhere within the system, which programs use to get the information. Even dxdiag reports the wrong card.

My device manager, on the other hand, reports the correct card! Also, I only have the one inf file, oem2.inf, from ASUS that has the correct install information, as follows:

(Line 129): "%AMD6810.3%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6810&REV_00
(Line 3609) Which translates to: AMD6810.3 = "ASUS R9 270X Series"

I'm not knocking DDU - they perform an invaluable - MUCH NEEDED - service! I'm just wondering if they, or likely me, are missing something. I'm sorry that this is such a long read - I'm far from "a man of few words"; that, I'm afraid, is painfully obvious.
I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1 6.1.7601 (Up-to-date). Microsoft, in this case, was also no help at all! Not surprising, really.

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post by Wagnard »

noparts wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 pm No matter how many times I COMPLETELY UNINSTALL my graphics card, and then REINSTALL the drivers provided by the oem, all my programs/games that automatically query my system for the card info - so that they can setup their respective programs/games - the result is ALWAYS the same! I happen to be using an Asus graphics card. However, my attempts to get some resolve via their support network, has been absurd. It is as if I'm getting support from a chat bot. I spell out my problem in as much detail as I can, citing the drivers I have tried - namely the AMD reference drivers and the obvious reason(s) why they are not correct; that the Asus-provided drivers are the correct choice - for my particular card. Each response is almost exactly the same as the previous. Plus, I am replying to each of their messages, so there is naturally a means for them to see that they aren't solving anything, but are creating a sort of loop. If that makes any sense.

All of that notwithstanding for the moment; as I was sure that the issue was the age-old problem of Windows not properly uninstalling, all of which was installed, in the first place. The lazy-a$$ coders at Microsoft, who get away with this type of thing, release after release after release... (A fix, they say, is always forthcoming; but it never comes). Okay, fine. That's where programs, such as DDU, can roll in and virtually save the day!
Unfortunately, even an app as powerful as DDU, could not right whatever is wrong - at least, not in my case. As I said, I went to Asus first, started a case - I even documented each point, with screenshots (which they suggested; otherwise I would never have thought to get driver-related screenshots...) In a nutshell:

I upgraded my graphics card to: ASUS Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II TOP 2GB GDDR5.
I replaced a: MSI Radeon HD6670 1GB GDDR5.

No remnants of the MSI card were left, anywhere, on my system. (I checked. At this point, though, I was unaware of DDU.)
So, I thought, rather than use the drivers provided by ASUS, with the centuries-old-and-decrepit CatalystControlCenter, I would try the reference drivers from AMD. Moreover, I now have a card that would allow me to install the highly regarded Crimson GUI! CCC, is after all, so boring! (I know; what a douche - right?)
Because I had no reason to underestimate the remarkable Crimson Adrenaline package, I didn't realize what was really going on, for at least a week.
So the new install came out like this:

From inf: "%AMD6810.11%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6810&REV_00
Which equates to: AMD6810.11 = "AMD Radeon R9 200 Series"
Yes, the card I have does fall in the "200 Series". Yes, they were "Reference Drivers". Yes, I'm a moron. I made a really poor choice, by going with Crimson. And, to make matters (somewhat) worse, Crimson - in my opinion - wasn't all that great. But here I am, about sick to death over the fact that this should easily be resolved - but actually is not. Anyway, currently:

There are 15 instances of the "200 Series" in my registry (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet -thru- HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet003...) that won't go away. I've edited them one-by-one to reflect the correct information - EXTREMELY time consuming, even using a full featured registry editor! The edits just don't survive a system reboot. I thought for sure, DDU would be able to remove them for good. I even deleted them myself, booted into safe mode and ran DDU again; but to no avail. It would stand to reason, that it's these registry keys that are being used to determine the card and what it's capable of. Unless, of course, there is a data, bin, or other file that resides somewhere within the system, which programs use to get the information. Even dxdiag reports the wrong card.

My device manager, on the other hand, reports the correct card! Also, I only have the one inf file, oem2.inf, from ASUS that has the correct install information, as follows:

(Line 129): "%AMD6810.3%" = ati2mtag_R575, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6810&REV_00
(Line 3609) Which translates to: AMD6810.3 = "ASUS R9 270X Series"

I'm not knocking DDU - they perform an invaluable - MUCH NEEDED - service! I'm just wondering if they, or likely me, are missing something. I'm sorry that this is such a long read - I'm far from "a man of few words"; that, I'm afraid, is painfully obvious.
I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1 6.1.7601 (Up-to-date). Microsoft, in this case, was also no help at all! Not surprising, really.
Hi,
I have read everything you said(without a coffee yet) but I'm not quite sure what is your EXACT problem. Is it only the way it is named ? r200 series?

Also to be sure, you can send me the DDU logs so I can check if something were left out. you can send them at [email protected]
noparts

Post by noparts »

At first I thought that, yes, it was just the name - which would have been fine. Then I thought about the '200 series' part and realized that the number of different cards that fall into that category, could be many. But you're right, it may be easier for me to send you the DDU logs. I will also include the inf file supplied by Asus, as well as the AMD reference inf file. It's much easier to understand when you compare both. Again, I knew better than to go with AMD drivers, if for no other reason than the Asus drivers are tailored for the specific card they sell.

I'll go ahead and send the logs via the email link you provided. Thank you, very much, for your quick response; and above all, for wading through my entire message! Wow.

Sean.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

noparts wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 pm At first I thought that, yes, it was just the name - which would have been fine. Then I thought about the '200 series' part and realized that the number of different cards that fall into that category, could be many. But you're right, it may be easier for me to send you the DDU logs. I will also include the inf file supplied by Asus, as well as the AMD reference inf file. It's much easier to understand when you compare both. Again, I knew better than to go with AMD drivers, if for no other reason than the Asus drivers are tailored for the specific card they sell.

I'll go ahead and send the logs via the email link you provided. Thank you, very much, for your quick response; and above all, for wading through my entire message! Wow.

Sean.
I'll wait your DDU logs and see what I can find.