DDU breaks CUDA installation

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Hey there,

First of all: thanks for DDU, it is a fantastic tool.

An unfortunate side-effect of DDU, however, is that it breaks my CUDA SDK install. The SDK and functionality stays installed (binaries, tools, nsight plugin), but the actual installation reference gets broken. So when I have to uninstall the *current* CUDA SDK (which happens whenever a new version is released), it cannot find the uninstall files. The only way to cleanly get rid of the previous CUDA install is then to look up an installer for that exact version, install it again, then uninstall. This is quite the hassle.

I know it's probably a lot to ask, but can there be an option to leave the CUDA toolkit unharmed when doing the Nvidia Driver Removal dance?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: DDU breaks CUDA installation

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:14 am Hey there,

First of all: thanks for DDU, it is a fantastic tool.

An unfortunate side-effect of DDU, however, is that it breaks my CUDA SDK install. The SDK and functionality stays installed (binaries, tools, nsight plugin), but the actual installation reference gets broken. So when I have to uninstall the *current* CUDA SDK (which happens whenever a new version is released), it cannot find the uninstall files. The only way to cleanly get rid of the previous CUDA install is then to look up an installer for that exact version, install it again, then uninstall. This is quite the hassle.

I know it's probably a lot to ask, but can there be an option to leave the CUDA toolkit unharmed when doing the Nvidia Driver Removal dance?

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for reporting, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: I've done some work on this issue and so far it's looking good to be fixed in the next version of DDU.
Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Wagnard wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm Thanks for reporting, I'll see what I can do.
Edit: I've done some work on this issue and so far it's looking good to be fixed in the next version of DDU.
Whew, that actually would be great. Some caveats:
  • Standard CUDA installs also try to install an (older) GPU driver, PhysX and GFE. This is - of course - fine to delete, and does not break the CUDA installer reference
  • The CUDA installer resides in one of those weird Nvida "cached installer" folders in ProgramData, which DDU cleans out.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 pm
Wagnard wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm Thanks for reporting, I'll see what I can do.
Whew, that actually would be great. Some caveats:
  • Standard CUDA installs also try to install an (older) GPU driver, PhysX and GFE. This is - of course - fine to delete, and does not break the CUDA installer reference
  • The CUDA installer resides in one of those weird Nvida "cached installer" folders in ProgramData, which DDU cleans out.
Thanks for the tips, im close to get it working right, just need some free time to finish this up.
Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Hey Wagnard,

I recently had time to test this, and it seems to be working fine - my CUDA install survives a DDU and the uninstall options still seem to work.
However, I'm under the impression that introducing this fix now makes the cleaning less thorough - I see more folders surviving in Installer2, some of them which are dated from before the CUDA Install and seem unrelated ...

Cheers, and thanks for the hard work again,
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:26 pm Hey Wagnard,

I recently had time to test this, and it seems to be working fine - my CUDA install survives a DDU and the uninstall options still seem to work.
However, I'm under the impression that introducing this fix now makes the cleaning less thorough - I see more folders surviving in Installer2, some of them which are dated from before the CUDA Install and seem unrelated ...

Cheers, and thanks for the hard work again,
Thanks for the feedback, can you email me this ddu log so I can check the folders you were talking about?
Thanks [email protected]