[Solved] Can DDU be used on an offline windows image?

aramonkg

Post by aramonkg »

Hi,

as the title says I can't even boot to my Windows 7 system after installing the lastest amd drivers. Even safe mode will halt while loading amdkmpfd.sys. Is it possible to use DDU same way dism or sfc can be run targeting an offline windows installation?

Thanks!
Last edited by aramonkg on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Can DDU be used on an offline windows image?

Post by Wagnard »

aramonkg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:21 am Hi,

as the title says I can't even boot to my Windows 7 system after installing the lastest amd drivers. Even safe mode will halt while loading amdkmpfd.sys. Is it possible to use DDU same way dism or sfc can be run targeting an offline windows installation?

Thanks!
Hi, sadly,no DDU wasn't developed to be used this way.
If you made a restore point, you can try to do a system restore to revert the driver installation.
aramonkg

Post by aramonkg »

Wagnard wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks!
If you made a restore point, you can try to do a system restore to revert the driver installation.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I suspected it would be a long shot but still worth a try. Unfortunately System Restore was disabled on that drive, so I will need to come up with something else.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

aramonkg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:06 am

Thanks!
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I suspected it would be a long shot but still worth a try. Unfortunately System Restore was disabled on that drive, so I will need to come up with something else.
If you can enter the system up to a command prompt, you could use the Microsoft tool "devcon" to disable the problematic device.
Tell me if you can reach this safe mode with command prompt (something name this way).

You can also try the last known good configuration option too, it's worth a shot.
aramonkg

Post by aramonkg »

Wagnard wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 am

If you can enter the system up to a command prompt, you could use the Microsoft tool "devcon" to disable the problematic device.
Tell me if you can reach this safe mode with command prompt (something name this way).

You can also try the last known good configuration option too, it's worth a shot.
Unfortunately I can't get to a command prompt of that system, all safe mode options and last good configuration halt at the same point of boot sequence. Only thing I have managed is to use SysInternal's Autoruns, to disable said driver but that causes a BSOD. Anyway, I feel bad for taking up your time, especially when this is not DDU related issue. It's just that this system had a lot of things, most of them work related, installed and it will be very time consuming to migrate them, so I am trying to exhaust my options.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

aramonkg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am

Unfortunately I can't get to a command prompt of that system, all safe mode options and last good configuration halt at the same point of boot sequence. Only thing I have managed is to use SysInternal's Autoruns, to disable said driver but that causes a BSOD. Anyway, I feel bad for taking up your time, especially when this is not DDU related issue. It's just that this system had a lot of things, most of them work related, installed and it will be very time consuming to migrate them, so I am trying to exhaust my options.
Not a problem man. If I answer is that I have the time and it doesn't annoy me.
One thing I'm curious is how you manage to run Autoruns as you can't enter the os even in safe mode. Or maybe there is something I didn't understand.
aramonkg

Post by aramonkg »

Wagnard wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm
aramonkg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:36 am

Not a problem man. If I answer is that I have the time and it doesn't annoy me.
One thing I'm curious is how you manage to run Autoruns as you can't enter the os even in safe mode. Or maybe there is something I didn't understand.
I have since my last post been able to restore access to the system, through restoring my registry hives, by using the automated registry backup, which was to my good fortune, only 14 hours before the installation of AMD drivers took place, and with nothing major being installed in between. It's not the most elegant way, but it worked. Got the idea off of one of the tens of forum threads I read, on this and related subjects, throughout these days.

Since then I have used DDU to clean up the mess. :) However the problem still surfaces, after I attempt the installation of AMD drivers. I am now attempting to downgrade the AMD drivers till I get to one that works...

As for Autoruns, it gives you the option to run on an offline system, as long as you provide a valid path of the Windows installation folder you want to examine.