Removed driver keeps re-installing

csteidl

Post by csteidl »

I've used DDU to remove an AMD Radeon driver (to prevent it from communicating with a failing auxiliary graphics card) which has worked quite successfully. Unfortunately, after a couple of startups, Windows (10) seems to keep re-installing the driver. Does anyone know how to keep this from happening so that the driver remains permanently uninstalled? Thanks!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Removed driver keeps re-installing

Post by Wagnard »

csteidl wrote:I've used DDU to remove an AMD Radeon driver (to prevent it from communicating with a failing auxiliary graphics card) which has worked quite successfully. Unfortunately, after a couple of startups, Windows (10) seems to keep re-installing the driver. Does anyone know how to keep this from happening so that the driver remains permanently uninstalled? Thanks!
The driver is probably re-downloading from windows update. There is no quite easy way to fix this.
The only workaround is to disable your internet connection when you use DDU. And re-enable it after you installed the new driver.
csteidl

Re: Removed driver keeps re-installing

Post by csteidl »

Thank you--yes, it seems to be hard to work around and is rather a pain.

If anyone else runs into a similar issue, there may be a way to solve this.

I've found a 'device installation settings' area within the Windows 10 settings menus. The prompt reads 'Do you want Windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices?' and while the default appears to be "No, let me choose what to do" (as opposed to "Yes, (recommended)"), it still defaults to a sub-setting, "Always install the best driver software from Windows Update". Changing this to the "Never install..." option seems to be working thus far (knock on wood).