Dual channel RAM not working

andyb99

Post by andyb99 »

I apologize if this is a duplicate, mods feel free to delete. I just wish I'd seen a post like this when I originally had this issue.

I built a Z270 system a while back and found that it would not boot (or POST at all - no beeps, nothing) with any DIMMs installed in slots A1 or A2. I was, however, able to get it to boot with DIMMs in slots B1 and B2. OK, no problem, I just lived with it. Still got my 16GB of RAM anyway.

Recently I became annoyed at the lack of dual channel so I decided it must be a board problem. Bought a new Z270 board, rebuilt. Guess what? DIMMs only worked in slots B1 and B2. Same chipset, different manufacturers. Gotta be the DIMMs, right? So I ordered new DIMMs on Prime Now and during the two hour wait I re-googled for the hundredth time about dual channel not working on a Z270, blah blah blah.

I came across a post from 2015 suggesting that the problem might be that the CPU cooler being bolted too tightly can cause issues like this. Something with board flex. Sounded insane to me but at this point I'd try anything because the next link in the chain was a faulty CPU. Well, guess what? Removed the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, loosened the nuts that hold the bracket to the board, reseated the heat sink and didn't tighten the screws that hold the cooler to the bracket as much. Then I moved the DIMM from B1 to A2 and...viola. It worked. Dual channel RAM. Go figure.

Sponsor

Sponsor