DDU recommended I reboot my PC in safe mode, now can't boot PC from SSD

Xantaa

Post by Xantaa »

I installed DDU, opened the application, went to options and enabled safe mode and prevent windows from automatically installing updates. I then closed and re-opened the application and it recommended that I restarted my PC in safe mode as I was currently in normal mode. My PC has two OS, one old one which is on my HDD and the current one I use which is on my SSD. I can no longer boot from my SSD after this restart in safe mode that the DDU software initiated. I haven't changed any settings at all. I have checked in the BIOS and it is set to AHCI as previously and it still detects the OS on my SSD however when I try to boot from it, I am greeted with the following error: https://i0.wp.com/neosmart.net/blog/wp- ... .png?ssl=1

This is a huge problem for me as I cannot access the other account on the old OS.

Can you please advise?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: DDU recommended I reboot my PC in safe mode, now can't boot PC from SSD

Post by Wagnard »

Xantaa wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:20 am I installed DDU, opened the application, went to options and enabled safe mode and prevent windows from automatically installing updates. I then closed and re-opened the application and it recommended that I restarted my PC in safe mode as I was currently in normal mode. My PC has two OS, one old one which is on my HDD and the current one I use which is on my SSD. I can no longer boot from my SSD after this restart in safe mode that the DDU software initiated. I haven't changed any settings at all. I have checked in the BIOS and it is set to AHCI as previously and it still detects the OS on my SSD however when I try to boot from it, I am greeted with the following error: https://i0.wp.com/neosmart.net/blog/wp- ... .png?ssl=1

This is a huge problem for me as I cannot access the other account on the old OS.

Can you please advise?
Hi,
You should not have ticked the "enable safe mode" prior testing if you were able to boot the computer yourself into safe mode. (mentioned in the option of DDU)
Now, to revert what DDU did, you have to boot with a recovery disk or a windows iso disk, what ever that can bring you a command prompt, and you have to remove the "safeboot" attribute from the BCD. Usually the command for doing this is :

bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

* You may have to replace the "default" with the "identifier" you see the "safeboot" value when you run BCDEDIT.

Note: usually DDU should not be able to break the safe mode like that. It use Microsoft own BCDEDIT. it is possible that there were other factor that help breaking this.

I would appreciate if you can give the more information about the OS installed and if possible a screenshot of what "BCDEDIT" return to you.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you need further help.