Two Versions of DDU and Two Problems

collins

Post by collins »

About twelve hours ago I searched for an app that could clean out everything related to
my display drivers. DDU is that app.

Downloaded version 18.0.0.4 because it's compatible with XP Pro_SP3.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1316

Booted into Safemode and got this -> DDU has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Found an earlier version (17.0.6.6) at Bleeping Computer Forums.

Booted into Safemode again:

Started ok until it reached -> Cleaning Known RegKeys -> May take a minute or two.
The app froze solid. Waited 15 minutes. The window was frozen. Could not be moved.

Is there a version of DDU that's completely stable with XP Pro_SP3? All versions of .NET
Framework are installed up to 4.5.

(I've got traditional image backups and Horizon RollBack Rx Professional. My system can be
restored from a RollBack snapshot in two minutes or less.)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Two Versions of DDU and Two Problems

Post by Wagnard »

collins wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:08 am About twelve hours ago I searched for an app that could clean out everything related to
my display drivers. DDU is that app.

Downloaded version 18.0.0.4 because it's compatible with XP Pro_SP3.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1316

Booted into Safemode and got this -> DDU has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Found an earlier version (17.0.6.6) at Bleeping Computer Forums.

Booted into Safemode again:

Started ok until it reached -> Cleaning Known RegKeys -> May take a minute or two.
The app froze solid. Waited 15 minutes. The window was frozen. Could not be moved.

Is there a version of DDU that's completely stable with XP Pro_SP3? All versions of .NET
Framework are installed up to 4.5.

(I've got traditional image backups and Horizon RollBack Rx Professional. My system can be
restored from a RollBack snapshot in two minutes or less.)
Hi,
Please send me the logs of v18.0.0.4 and I'll see if I can do something about it.
you can send them at:
[email protected]
collins

Post by collins »

Thanks Wagnard.

Without an app like RollBack, I would not be using any Windows system. The moment
something destructive happens, I reboot and restore the system from a RollBack snapshot.
Saving logs was not my first priority.

I couldn't find a complete list of all the versions, but I found this:

https://www.afterdawn.com/software/vers ... ninstaller

I've got .NET Framework 4.5, so I'll try 18.0.0.5. If that fails I'll try another version. I'll save the
logs and send them to you if there are problems.

If one of the versions runs smoothly, I'll post the results in this thread.

(The password l created yesterday failed. I don't know why. Had to request a new password.)
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

collins wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:36 am Thanks Wagnard.

Without an app like RollBack, I would not be using any Windows system. The moment
something destructive happens, I reboot and restore the system from a RollBack snapshot.
Saving logs was not my first priority.

I couldn't find a complete list of all the versions, but I found this:

https://www.afterdawn.com/software/vers ... ninstaller

I've got .NET Framework 4.5, so I'll try 18.0.0.5. If that fails I'll try another version. I'll save the
logs and send them to you if there are problems.

If one of the versions runs smoothly, I'll post the results in this thread.

(The password l created yesterday failed. I don't know why. Had to request a new password.)
Usually we cannot install .Net 4.5 on windows xp. I guess you used some sort of trick.
Also, I don't recommend using older driver version. Use the latest supported for Windows XP and send me its log I'll try to fix the error for you.
collins

Post by collins »

There is no "trick" about installing .NET Framework v4.5 with XP.

A sluggish system (and many other problems) is a common complaint after installing .NET
Framework with almost any version of Microsoft Windows. Go to MSFN forums. There are
command lines provided by high level experts that will clear all problems. I don't want to list
direct links, because they may not be appropriate for all Windows systems.

DDU v18.0.0.1 ran from beginning to end without any glitches. There is a two minute pause
at "Executing SetupAPI remove audio controller."

DDU uninstalls display and audio drivers. The Hardware Wizard quickly installed new audio
drivers, but refused to install my new display drivers. I tried a manual install using the INF
file (Context Menu -> Install). No luck.

If I didn't have the correct drivers, the audio install would have failed. Not sure how to install
the new display drivers.