Window 10 Insider Fast ring 18952.1001 and DDU (possible) bug

wannagofast

Post by wannagofast »

First off,I am aware that I use Windows Insider software at my own risk and am not here to complain about it at all.
I make system images of all my installs and lost nothing. I was able to put things back to right in just a few minutes.
I make this post as purely informational to make the author of DDU aware of a potential issue with DDU/Windows 10.

Window 10 Insider Fast ring 18952.1001 seems to have a problem(at least on my machine)with rebooting into Safe mode.
Trying to boot into safe mode the normal way results in a few flashing screens and it booting back to normal Windows.
When using DDU to reboot into safe mode to update my video drivers, results in an unbootable install on my machine.
I was unable to find any easy way to get my machine booted back into windows except to restore the system image.
This was reproducible on my machine, and I tried it several times just to be sure it wasn't just a coincidence.

I am pretty sure the problem is Microsofts, and they need to fix it. But figured I would give you a heads up on it.

Thanks for all your hard work. DDU is great program and an invaluable tool in my pc tool box.

peace
wanna

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Window 10 Insider Fast ring 18952.1001 and DDU (possible) bug

Post by Wagnard »

wannagofast wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:45 pm First off,I am aware that I use Windows Insider software at my own risk and am not here to complain about it at all.
I make system images of all my installs and lost nothing. I was able to put things back to right in just a few minutes.
I make this post as purely informational to make the author of DDU aware of a potential issue with DDU/Windows 10.

Window 10 Insider Fast ring 18952.1001 seems to have a problem(at least on my machine)with rebooting into Safe mode.
Trying to boot into safe mode the normal way results in a few flashing screens and it booting back to normal Windows.
When using DDU to reboot into safe mode to update my video drivers, results in an unbootable install on my machine.
I was unable to find any easy way to get my machine booted back into windows except to restore the system image.
This was reproducible on my machine, and I tried it several times just to be sure it wasn't just a coincidence.

I am pretty sure the problem is Microsofts, and they need to fix it. But figured I would give you a heads up on it.

Thanks for all your hard work. DDU is great program and an invaluable tool in my pc tool box.

peace
wanna
Thanks for the feedback.
I will try to repro this on my end.
I need some details, are you using multiple OS ? when you say the result is unbootable, is it right after you ask DDU to reboot in safe mode or after the cleanup ?

If you could show be the result of the command BCDEDIT, it could be useful.

Thanks
wannagofast

Post by wannagofast »

Single boot. 18952.1001 was cleanly loaded and is the only OS on the drive.
The problem occurs during the reboot before you get into safe mode and use DDU.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/mbuzbmnw3 ... y.jpg/file

As I said before, I'm sure its just a goof on the part of MS. Since it wont boot to safe mode at all even without using DDU.

peace
wanna
Last edited by wannagofast on Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

wannagofast wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 am Single boot. 18952.1001 was cleanly loaded and is the only OS on the drive.
The problem occurs during the reboot before you get into safe mode and use DDU.

As I said before, I'm sure its just a goof on the part of MS. Since it wont boot to safe mode at all even without using DDU.

peace
wanna
Yeah probably, because DDU is using BCDEDIT to go into safe mode, so it's not custom made by DDU, just using Windows tools.
But I will. Probably set a VM and test later.
If you happen to test a newer insider preview and that it is fixed, a confirmation would be appreciated.
wannagofast

Post by wannagofast »

Sorry I couldn't get the BCDEDIT image to insert into post so II edited in a link.
That is taken in 18952.1001 before using DDU to try and reboot to Safe Mode.
I will let you know if I find this to continue to be a problem in future builds.

Thanks again for all your hard work. DDU is a great program.

peace
wanna
wannagofast

Post by wannagofast »

Update:
It seems that Microsoft has finally fixed the ability to reboot into safe mode on Fast Ring builds.
Safe mode and DDU are once again working fine in todays Insider Fast Ring release build 19603.1000.

peace
wanna
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

wannagofast wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:18 pm Update:
It seems that Microsoft has finally fixed the ability to reboot into safe mode on Fast Ring builds.
Safe mode and DDU are once again working fine in todays Insider Fast Ring release build 19603.1000.

peace
wanna
Thanks for letting us know, I really appreciate !