Need help running DDU in safe mode

Steph

Post by Steph »

As a disclaimer i'm running Windows 7 x64. So I'm having issues getting DDU (latest version) to open in safemode. I've gotten a launch screen fail almost immediately with a lot of file names listed in said window. I'll post the logs in this post as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2020-07-03__20-51-48_DDULog.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Need help running DDU in safe mode

Post by Wagnard »

Steph wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 pm As a disclaimer i'm running Windows 7 x64. So I'm having issues getting DDU (latest version) to open in safemode. I've gotten a launch screen fail almost immediately with a lot of file names listed in said window. I'll post the logs in this post as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2020-07-03__20-51-48_DDULog.txt
Hi, according to the log, there is something broken with your .net installation.
\Be sure you have at least version .NET 4.5 or higher installed
Steph

Post by Steph »

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm pretty new to Windows so is that something I can download directly from the microsoft website? Or do I need a program like ddu to do an uninstall and reinstall? Thanks.

I figured it out, thanks again mate!
Steph

Post by Steph »

So your recommendation helped, I was able to run DDU in safemode after updating .net. But i'm afraid I made a mistake selecting all the options for an AMD card, including the one regarding a chip set. Reason being I can't get the AMD control page to run after installing it. All I get is a "MOM.implementaion file not found" or something like that. It worked fine two days ago before I heard about DDU and had ran the AMD installer and updated the driver with from the control center, without uninstalling the factory driver version.

Also, my restore point isn't working. Something about antivirus software preventing it from completing the restore. So what are my options? This is a new computer so i'm not opposed to just wiping and starting over as not much is on here. But if there is a more direct solution that'd be ideal.

Here is the DDU log if you need it's reference.
2020-07-04__15-09-14_DDULog.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Steph wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:45 pm So your recommendation helped, I was able to run DDU in safemode after updating .net. But i'm afraid I made a mistake selecting all the options for an AMD card, including the one regarding a chip set. Reason being I can't get the AMD control page to run after installing it. All I get is a "MOM.implementaion file not found" or something like that. It worked fine two days ago before I heard about DDU and had ran the AMD installer and updated the driver with from the control center, without uninstalling the factory driver version.

Also, my restore point isn't working. Something about antivirus software preventing it from completing the restore. So what are my options? This is a new computer so i'm not opposed to just wiping and starting over as not much is on here. But if there is a more direct solution that'd be ideal.

Here is the DDU log if you need it's reference.
2020-07-04__15-09-14_DDULog.txt
I'm currently looking at the log, can you show me a screenshot of the error you get with the control panel ?

Edit: it seems the log is incomplete. Did DDU worked correctly until the end ?
Steph

Post by Steph »

I'm sorry to have wasted your time with this as I went ahead and wiped the computer.

To answer your question about DDU working until the end, I believe it did. It said the process was complete, however when it rebooted it did so back into safemode again. I thought it was a bit odd as tutorials i've seen have their PC's rebooting not in safemode after completion. So it's possible, however as I said I went ahead and wiped the computer so I don't suppose that matter much anymore.

However, do you think its necessary to use DDU to wipe the factory driver software for updating drivers for the first time? As I heard it wasn't necessary for the first update, only to clear prior updates and when replacing video cards.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Steph wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:46 pm I'm sorry to have wasted your time with this as I went ahead and wiped the computer.

To answer your question about DDU working until the end, I believe it did. It said the process was complete, however when it rebooted it did so back into safemode again. I thought it was a bit odd as tutorials i've seen have their PC's rebooting not in safemode after completion. So it's possible, however as I said I went ahead and wiped the computer so I don't suppose that matter much anymore.

However, do you think its necessary to use DDU to wipe the factory driver software for updating drivers for the first time? As I heard it wasn't necessary for the first update, only to clear prior updates and when replacing video cards.
DDU is not mandatory when updating a driver. When switching videocard, especially brand, it become more necessary to clean the old driver.
Steph

Post by Steph »

I actually just bought a new video card that will be coming next week so I will actually need to use DDU then. Thank you for your help!