DDU black screen on startup

viksra

Post by viksra »

Hi Wagnard,

I bought a GeChic 2501C monitor which is connected by HDMI and worked fine from the day I bought it. Tropical storm Isaias came through and the monitor worked fine. After the storm ended a few hours later (and the sky was blue), the power went out (not a power surge). Unplugged the laptop (HP 15-r082nr Notebook PC) that the GeChic is connected to. Power came back on after 2 & 1/2 days. Plugged laptop in, GeChic no longer worked and said "No Signal." Tried GeChic on another laptop, it works. Tried the basic stuff like "Extend these displays", restarting, adding/removing monitor, unplugging and replugging in wires, swapping wires, updating drivers, etc. Nothing worked. Tried DDU and it didn't make the GeChic work on the HP 15-r082nr. Tried DDU again and then opened msconfig.exe and selected Safe Mode under startup, and now my computer simply shows the HP logo on boot with the loading spinner, and then disappears with only a black screen remaining. I tried tapping ESC as soon as powering on, and that takes me to safe mode option which just lead me to the black screen. I tried pressing Windows Key + P and down arrow 1, 2, 3 and 4 times followed by Enter Key to cycle between possible phantom monitors, but it doesn't work.

I think I may have deleted Microsoft Basic Display Adapters. How can I restore it or roll it back? System restore fails as does "Refresh Your PC", which throws an error about there not being enough space (there's about 6 GB free). My understanding from researching this problem is that "when you delete files in System32, they also exist in WinSXS. The OS hard-links files from WinSXS into System32. When you delete a file from System32, it isn't really gone. All you've done is erase the 1KB $MFT entry, not the actual clusters." So, couldn't I just copy the necessary Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from WinSXS to Windows32 to fix this black screen? Or the Intel Graphics Driver?

Hope you can help, DDU was the last thing I used before the computer decided to only show me a black screen.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: DDU black screen on startup

Post by Wagnard »

viksra wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:31 pm Hi Wagnard,

I bought a GeChic 2501C monitor which is connected by HDMI and worked fine from the day I bought it. Tropical storm Isaias came through and the monitor worked fine. After the storm ended a few hours later (and the sky was blue), the power went out (not a power surge). Unplugged the laptop (HP 15-r082nr Notebook PC) that the GeChic is connected to. Power came back on after 2 & 1/2 days. Plugged laptop in, GeChic no longer worked and said "No Signal." Tried GeChic on another laptop, it works. Tried the basic stuff like "Extend these displays", restarting, adding/removing monitor, unplugging and replugging in wires, swapping wires, updating drivers, etc. Nothing worked. Tried DDU and it didn't make the GeChic work on the HP 15-r082nr. Tried DDU again and then opened msconfig.exe and selected Safe Mode under startup, and now my computer simply shows the HP logo on boot with the loading spinner, and then disappears with only a black screen remaining. I tried tapping ESC as soon as powering on, and that takes me to safe mode option which just lead me to the black screen. I tried pressing Windows Key + P and down arrow 1, 2, 3 and 4 times followed by Enter Key to cycle between possible phantom monitors, but it doesn't work.

I think I may have deleted Microsoft Basic Display Adapters. How can I restore it or roll it back? System restore fails as does "Refresh Your PC", which throws an error about there not being enough space (there's about 6 GB free). My understanding from researching this problem is that "when you delete files in System32, they also exist in WinSXS. The OS hard-links files from WinSXS into System32. When you delete a file from System32, it isn't really gone. All you've done is erase the 1KB $MFT entry, not the actual clusters." So, couldn't I just copy the necessary Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from WinSXS to Windows32 to fix this black screen? Or the Intel Graphics Driver?

Hope you can help, DDU was the last thing I used before the computer decided to only show me a black screen.
Try a different connector type, sometime in safe mode it won't show anything without a driver under some connector type.
But for you if you can refresh / restore from a backup your installation it would probably be best
viksra

Post by viksra »

Wagnard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:16 pm

Try a different connector type, sometime in safe mode it won't show anything without a driver under some connector type.
But for you if you can refresh / restore from a backup your installation it would probably be best
Wagnard, allow me to simplify for clarity. There are two screens, a GeChic screen, and my laptop screen. The GeChic screen I am no longer worried about in my question to you, because I am more worried about my laptop screen which is now not displaying anything just prior to the sign-in screen. My laptop screen is black. My laptop does not need a "different connector type" because my laptop screen is part of my laptop (it is not a separate screen), and my laptop screen works fine when I press ESC to pause startup and am presented with the Startup Menu (where I can select F1 for System Information, F2 for System Diagnostics, F9 for Boot Device Options, F10 for BIOS Setup and F11 for System Recovery). Selecting any of those options displays what it's supposed to display on the screen. The issue is immediately after powering on the computer, when the HP splash screen and loading circle appears, after they disappear, normally the sign-in screen would appear. Instead, after the HP logo and loading circle disappear, the screen remains black.

Through the F11/System Recovery option, I am able to browse the files on my computer and I located the DDU logs. There are 3 logs. One of the logs shows that Intel(R) HD Graphics Family has been deleted by DDU, among hundreds of other registry keys and files.

After reviewing that log, I am confident that DDU erased what was necessary for my computer to display the sign-in window, as DDU's logs states that it erased things related to my Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.

Will you be able to help me revert the changes DDU made or otherwise tell me how I can go about instructing my computer through CMD to reinstall the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

viksra wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Wagnard, allow me to simplify for clarity. There are two screens, a GeChic screen, and my laptop screen. The GeChic screen I am no longer worried about in my question to you, because I am more worried about my laptop screen which is now not displaying anything just prior to the sign-in screen. My laptop screen is black. My laptop does not need a "different connector type" because my laptop screen is part of my laptop (it is not a separate screen), and my laptop screen works fine when I press ESC to pause startup and am presented with the Startup Menu (where I can select F1 for System Information, F2 for System Diagnostics, F9 for Boot Device Options, F10 for BIOS Setup and F11 for System Recovery). Selecting any of those options displays what it's supposed to display on the screen. The issue is immediately after powering on the computer, when the HP splash screen and loading circle appears, after they disappear, normally the sign-in screen would appear. Instead, after the HP logo and loading circle disappear, the screen remains black.

Through the F11/System Recovery option, I am able to browse the files on my computer and I located the DDU logs. There are 3 logs. One of the logs shows that Intel(R) HD Graphics Family has been deleted by DDU, among hundreds of other registry keys and files.

After reviewing that log, I am confident that DDU erased what was necessary for my computer to display the sign-in window, as DDU's logs states that it erased things related to my Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.

Will you be able to help me revert the changes DDU made or otherwise tell me how I can go about instructing my computer through CMD to reinstall the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family?
to display something on your
First you should. Try to get the computer out of safe mode. Forcing it with the msconfig is not really advisable.
To do that, you can use BCDEDIT and remove a value named SAFEBOOT.

With the Intel driver removed, usually Windows with fallback to the Microsoft default display driver and it should still be able to display something on your screen.
Also when powering up the computer, I recommend you disconnect completely from the other Gechic screen..

Also if possible email me all the DDU logs at [email protected] so I can check if anything went wrong.
viksra

Post by viksra »

Wagnard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:43 pm

First you should. Try to get the computer out of safe mode. Forcing it with the msconfig is not really advisable.

With the Intel driver removed, usually Windows with fallback to the Microsoft default display driver and it should still be able to display something on your screen.
Also when powering up the computer, I recommend you disconnect completely from the other Gechic screen..

Also if possible email me all the DDU logs at [email protected] so I can check if anything went wrong.
"you can use BCDEDIT and remove a value named SAFEBOOT."

Thank you, that worked

For anyone wanting the exact solution to my problem, open Command Prompt and type:
bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

viksra wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:26 pm
Wagnard wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:43 pm

"you can use BCDEDIT and remove a value named SAFEBOOT."

Thank you, that worked

For anyone wanting the exact solution to my problem, open Command Prompt and type:
bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot
Excellent I was about to check your logs too.
Edit: Log seems ok. Maybe Windows 8.1 Safemode sent an incompatible signal to your monitor and stayed black. I cant really be sure.