BSOD Upon Restarting After DDU Finishes

Newts

Post by Newts »

I've had a problem with using DDU with my AMD GPU, after completion the computer starts stuttering terribly and eventually after waiting on the restarting screen for 10 minutes I am given a BSOD that gives the stop code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I've been having issues with Radeon's Drivers so I wanted to do a fresh Install but every time this happens and I am forced to go back to a System Restore Point. When I ignore the BSOD and boot back up my PC out of safemode and try to install Radeon software it tells me that the previous installation was incomplete. I tried following AMD's Guide for this problem and attempted to use their AMD Clean Up Utility but I get the same result with the stuttering computer. The guide also said to use the Windows Program Install and Uninstall Utility if the Clean Up Utility didn't work to repair corrupted Registry Keys but the download for that on Microsoft's website isn't available and gives me a 404 error code. I'm at a loss for what to do and I would like some help figuring this out. I've also run ChkDsk, Sfc /scannow, as well as using the startup repair on windows but nothing has changed.

PC specs (If that matters)
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
MB: Tuf Gaming x570 Plus
RAM: 16 GB of DDR4
GPU: Rx 5700 XT

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask for help but since it deals with drivers I thought I'd see if I could...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: BSOD Upon Restarting After DDU Finishes

Post by Wagnard »

Newts wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:25 pm I've had a problem with using DDU with my AMD GPU, after completion the computer starts stuttering terribly and eventually after waiting on the restarting screen for 10 minutes I am given a BSOD that gives the stop code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I've been having issues with Radeon's Drivers so I wanted to do a fresh Install but every time this happens and I am forced to go back to a System Restore Point. When I ignore the BSOD and boot back up my PC out of safemode and try to install Radeon software it tells me that the previous installation was incomplete. I tried following AMD's Guide for this problem and attempted to use their AMD Clean Up Utility but I get the same result with the stuttering computer. The guide also said to use the Windows Program Install and Uninstall Utility if the Clean Up Utility didn't work to repair corrupted Registry Keys but the download for that on Microsoft's website isn't available and gives me a 404 error code. I'm at a loss for what to do and I would like some help figuring this out. I've also run ChkDsk, Sfc /scannow, as well as using the startup repair on windows but nothing has changed.

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask for help but since it deals with drivers I thought I'd see if I could...
Hi, I have a feeling that it is another component I your computer that is causing your issue if the AMD Cleab up utility result with same stutter.
Download Bluescreenview from Nirsoft, it will be able to give you some details with your bsod.
Newts

Post by Newts »

Wagnard wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:53 pm
Newts wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:25 pm I've had a problem with using DDU with my AMD GPU, after completion the computer starts stuttering terribly and eventually after waiting on the restarting screen for 10 minutes I am given a BSOD that gives the stop code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I've been having issues with Radeon's Drivers so I wanted to do a fresh Install but every time this happens and I am forced to go back to a System Restore Point. When I ignore the BSOD and boot back up my PC out of safemode and try to install Radeon software it tells me that the previous installation was incomplete. I tried following AMD's Guide for this problem and attempted to use their AMD Clean Up Utility but I get the same result with the stuttering computer. The guide also said to use the Windows Program Install and Uninstall Utility if the Clean Up Utility didn't work to repair corrupted Registry Keys but the download for that on Microsoft's website isn't available and gives me a 404 error code. I'm at a loss for what to do and I would like some help figuring this out. I've also run ChkDsk, Sfc /scannow, as well as using the startup repair on windows but nothing has changed.

Hi, I have a feeling that it is another component I your computer that is causing your issue if the AMD Cleab up utility result with same stutter.
Download Bluescreenview from Nirsoft, it will be able to give you some details with your bsod.
Bluescreenview tells me that a program called ntoskrnl.exe was responsible for giving the stop code DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE both times that it had happened

Edit: did some combing through solutions and I'm gonna try a few of them. I will perform a memory check, reinstalling windows, and undoing some changes in the BIOS and let you know how it goes
Newts

Post by Newts »

I think reinstalling windows worked, if I need to uninstall my drivers again and this happens then I'll be back but for now I got a clean install of my drivers. I think the times I reinstalled my Chipset it didn't remove everything and made multiple copies of the drivers I had before
Newts

Post by Newts »

After I reinstalled windows I didn't need to reinstall my drivers for a while until yesterday and I finally figured out what it was, I believe with the chipset my drivers had some dependencies that couldn't have been accessed in safe mode when using DDU. So to anyone who has this problem where your machine stutters after using DDU then results in a BSOD try running it out of Safe Mode but make sure you have a system restore point set.