Pretty sure DDU uninstalled something it shouldn't have

jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

System specs are at the bottom of this post. I was having issues with my nvidia drivers, and used DDU to remove them completely, before installing the most up-to-date drivers. Unfortunately, it seems to have uninstalled something other than the nvidia graphics drivers.

Since using DDU, the following problems have arisen:

1. SATA HotSwap feature no longer functions properly (drives are no longer seen as removable, and swapping them has a 50% chance of causing a system halt, or requiring a reboot to function.)
2. Removable USB drives are no longer seen as removable devices in Windows, and so no longer appear as a safe removal option
3. A device in Device manager no longer has a driver, and nothing I do seems to correct that.

DDU, and the install of updated nvidia drivers are the only thing that were run just before the problems above began.

At this point, it looks like my only option is likely a fresh install of Windows 10 to get these devices to function normally again. While I place no blame, I did want to ensure that the DDU team was aware of this problem, as it makes key features of this motherboard fail.

In case someone mentions it, I did try to reinstall chipset drivers, and other important drivers, and it made no difference.

System: Custom Desktop PC
Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming (LGA1151)
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.70GHz (8 cores, 16 threads)
RAM: 32GB Dual Channel G-Skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16-16GTZR x2)
Graphics: NVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super (8GB)
Sound: RealTech HD Audio
Display 1 (Secondary): HP 1080p Monitor
Display 2 (Primary): Vizio 43" 4k UHD Home Theater Display (If streaming, or gaming, this display is set to 1080p, and used for games, while OBS related items are shown on Display 1 also in 1366x768p)
Display 3 (Handicapped primary): Samsung 1080p HDTV (Used in place of Display 2, if needed)
Network type: Wi-Fi/Ethernet (Interchangeable, but almost exclusively Ethernet with gigabit speeds)
Storage Space: LOTS
Control type: Keyboard, Mouse, and X-Box One S Wireless Controller for Windows (via USB)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Pretty sure DDU uninstalled something it shouldn't have

Post by Wagnard »

jasoncollege24 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 am System specs are at the bottom of this post. I was having issues with my nvidia drivers, and used DDU to remove them completely, before installing the most up-to-date drivers. Unfortunately, it seems to have uninstalled something other than the nvidia graphics drivers.

Since using DDU, the following problems have arisen:

1. SATA HotSwap feature no longer functions properly (drives are no longer seen as removable, and swapping them has a 50% chance of causing a system halt, or requiring a reboot to function.)
2. Removable USB drives are no longer seen as removable devices in Windows, and so no longer appear as a safe removal option
3. A device in Device manager no longer has a driver, and nothing I do seems to correct that.

DDU, and the install of updated nvidia drivers are the only thing that were run just before the problems above began.

At this point, it looks like my only option is likely a fresh install of Windows 10 to get these devices to function normally again. While I place no blame, I did want to ensure that the DDU team was aware of this problem, as it makes key features of this motherboard fail.

In case someone mentions it, I did try to reinstall chipset drivers, and other important drivers, and it made no difference.

System: Custom Desktop PC
Motherboard: ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming (LGA1151)
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.70GHz (8 cores, 16 threads)
RAM: 32GB Dual Channel G-Skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C16-16GTZR x2)
Graphics: NVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super (8GB)
Sound: RealTech HD Audio
Display 1 (Secondary): HP 1080p Monitor
Display 2 (Primary): Vizio 43" 4k UHD Home Theater Display (If streaming, or gaming, this display is set to 1080p, and used for games, while OBS related items are shown on Display 1 also in 1366x768p)
Display 3 (Handicapped primary): Samsung 1080p HDTV (Used in place of Display 2, if needed)
Network type: Wi-Fi/Ethernet (Interchangeable, but almost exclusively Ethernet with gigabit speeds)
Storage Space: LOTS
Control type: Keyboard, Mouse, and X-Box One S Wireless Controller for Windows (via USB)
Hi, thank for he report.is it possible for you to send us a zipped copy of the DDU log folder so we can check if DDU removed something's that it shouldn't have?

It happen that I have a system similar to yours, a i9 9900k and a Asus Strix z390-h. As you can suspect I use DDU a numerous of time with that system and never encountered the problem you mentioned.

In the bios check that the ahci data option have their hot removal enabled. As for USB , check in device manager, plug you USB flash key, and make sure it is not marked as performance "this disable the ability to safely remove it"
For the device in device manager with no driver, show me a picture of it and it's hardwares id.

You can send all information to [email protected]
We could also do a TeamViewer session if you want.
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for my delays. I didn't get notified in email for some reason.

I updated the BIOS to the latest, and fixed settings. This seems to have magically removed the device with the missing driver, so that problem is gone.

In the BIOS, AHCI settings are set properly, and hotswap is enabled for the only port that needs it.

USB drives are correctly optimized for quick removal.

i sent the logs to the email address you gave, with the subject "jasoncollege24 DDU logs"

If this was done by a setting I changed in DDU, please let me know. Sometimes it's hard to know if I'm using it right, with the changes.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

jasoncollege24 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:52 pm Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for my delays. I didn't get notified in email for some reason.

I updated the BIOS to the latest, and fixed settings. This seems to have magically removed the device with the missing driver, so that problem is gone.

In the BIOS, AHCI settings are set properly, and hotswap is enabled for the only port that needs it.

USB drives are correctly optimized for quick removal.

i sent the logs to the email address you gave, with the subject "jasoncollege24 DDU logs"

If this was done by a setting I changed in DDU, please let me know. Sometimes it's hard to know if I'm using it right, with the changes.
Hi,
I checked the log quickly, and a first look, nothing seems bad (but will still check it a little deeper)

I recommend that you try some few tips found on this website specifically for your issue. : https://windowsreport.com/safely-remove ... indows-10/

I'm specifically curious about the command : RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
Tell me if you are able to stop / remove the USB drives from there.
Anyway wishing you luck and tell me if you are able to fix it.
Ill contact you also if I find something odd in the logs.
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

Sorry for my late reply. Thanks for the link. Here what applies...

1. Safely Remove Hardware icon does not show devices (This applies partially)
2. Safely Remove Hardware error message (This applies partially)

Here's how things apply

1. My USB fingerprint scanner, and my HotSwap SATA drive are the only things that appear here. No other removable device shows here at all, no matter what, despite the fact that they all show up normally in device manager (See attached screenshot).
2. trying to safely remove the SATA hotswap (Listed as the "Crucial" in safely remove, and "FastGames" in device manager), has a random chance to completely halt the PC, or require a reboot to complete successfully.

using the command "RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" opened the safely remove hardware dialogue box, but getting to that dialogue, or getting the icon itself to work properly is not the problem. the list of devices shown in the dialogue box, and those shown when using the icon are identical.

Note that I have a small portable app that I run on startup. That app is called "HotSwap". This app allows me to select any drive on the system and set it as removable, even if it's not meant to be. All my removable USB devices show there, as well as the hotswap.

I can use that software to safely remove my USB drives, but I still have a random chance to halt the PC, or require a reboot for hot swapping.

Removing devices from the USB controller tree in Device manager is something I've done before, but did not resolve the problem. I did this for a specific device, which did nothing for this problem, or the one I was troubleshooting originally.

I was able to reinstall the chipset drivers, (getting the computer to see they were missing, and offer them again was a pain, without reinstalling Windows), however this didn't fix the USB, or hotswap issues. Everything else is working as expected.

I'm getting an add-in card that will give me 6 more SATA ports, so the hot swap issue won't matter soon, since I'll be disabling it in the BIOS.

Thanks for looking into this!
Screenshot (56).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

Sorry for the necro reply, but I finally reinstalled Windows, and wanted to give you an upodate.

My system became completely unstable about a week or so ago (a USB port in my system was subjected to a power surge, and burned out), so I decided to do the reinstall.

Physical system changes, since last post:

* WI-FI/Bluetooth PCI-E adapter was replaced with a newer model
* PCI-E SATA Add-In card added (Hotswap compatible)
* New drives added to the SATA card (Yay! More storage! lol)

All previously unresolved issues in this post continued right up until the reinstall. Some later versions of DDU were run, since the bad run, and no further damage was done.

Since the reinstall (Not reset) of Windows 10, the following issues have been resolved:

* All removable, and swappable devices are seen as such, and can be properly/safely removed.
* All missing drivers are installed, updated, and working as expected.
* All system stability issues specifically caused by the bad DDU run have been eliminated.

I did have Comodo Anti-Virus installed at the time. Is it possible that might've potentially caused a problem? I think some parts of it still run in safe mode. (I no longer have this installed)

All in all, I like DDU, as it has helped me on many occasions. I find it to be an important part of driver troubleshooting. :)
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

jasoncollege24 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:26 pm Sorry for the necro reply, but I finally reinstalled Windows, and wanted to give you an upodate.

My system became completely unstable about a week or so ago (a USB port in my system was subjected to a power surge, and burned out), so I decided to do the reinstall.

Physical system changes, since last post:

* WI-FI/Bluetooth PCI-E adapter was replaced with a newer model
* PCI-E SATA Add-In card added (Hotswap compatible)
* New drives added to the SATA card (Yay! More storage! lol)

All previously unresolved issues in this post continued right up until the reinstall. Some later versions of DDU were run, since the bad run, and no further damage was done.

Since the reinstall (Not reset) of Windows 10, the following issues have been resolved:

* All removable, and swappable devices are seen as such, and can be properly/safely removed.
* All missing drivers are installed, updated, and working as expected.
* All system stability issues specifically caused by the bad DDU run have been eliminated.

I did have Comodo Anti-Virus installed at the time. Is it possible that might've potentially caused a problem? I think some parts of it still run in safe mode. (I no longer have this installed)

All in all, I like DDU, as it has helped me on many occasions. I find it to be an important part of driver troubleshooting. :)
Hi, thanks for the info, I do remember your issue and glad to know that on a fresh system and with newer DDU all seems good ;)
It is possible that an Antivirus had cause some weird issue especially if they are doing sandboxing. It is something I saw in the early day of DDU.
jasoncollege24

Post by jasoncollege24 »

Wagnard wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:38 pm Hi, thanks for the info, I do remember your issue and glad to know that on a fresh system and with newer DDU all seems good ;)
It is possible that an Antivirus had cause some weird issue especially if they are doing sandboxing. It is something I saw in the early day of DDU.
Any time!

Comodo does have an automatic sandboxing feature, but that's one of the first things I disable, using it only on demand. I'll let you know if i have any more problems. Thanks!