How to safely use Display Driver Uninstaller

empleat

Re: How to safely use Display Driver Uninstaller

Post by empleat »

I have been using DDU quite some time now and it helped me to solve problems. While NVIDIA recommends it. And if you follow manual - it should be safe, or write to NVIDIA forum support for instructions: how to use it in your specific case! Tho I don't understand how billion $ corporation doesn't have its own un-installation tool and is relying on some volunteer. Do they even give fuck?

Having corrupted drivers could potentially cause instability/crashes/BSODs. Not sure, if it could physically damage your GPU, but I never heard about it - in case of DDU! Yet drivers are complex. One NVIDA drivers even physically destroyed GPUs! So theoretically: maybe it could destroy your GPU. It is meant to be used before GPU switches, or if you have some serious problems! Don't use it, if you 100% don't have to!!!

I have RTX 3070 now, so I am scared to use it. I would rather reinstall Windows :D As you never know today... And I had extremely bad luck lately with everything...

I had one question: I wondered, if you should uninstall first drivers in control panel and then use DDU in safe mode. Or you can use DDU instantly? As it is not explained in tutorial. Ty!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

empleat wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:09 pm I have been using DDU quite some time now and it helped me to solve problems. While NVIDIA recommends it. And if you follow manual - it should be safe, or write to NVIDIA forum support for instructions: how to use it in your specific case! Tho I don't understand how billion $ corporation doesn't have its own un-installation tool and is relying on some volunteer. Do they even give fuck?

Having corrupted drivers could potentially cause instability/crashes/BSODs. Not sure, if it could physically damage your GPU, but I never heard about it - in case of DDU! Yet drivers are complex. One NVIDA drivers even physically destroyed GPUs! So theoretically: maybe it could destroy your GPU. It is meant to be used before GPU switches, or if you have some serious problems! Don't use it, if you 100% don't have to!!!

I have RTX 3070 now, so I am scared to use it. I would rather reinstall Windows :D As you never know today... And I had extremely bad luck lately with everything...

I had one question: I wondered, if you should uninstall first drivers in control panel and then use DDU in safe mode. Or you can use DDU instantly? As it is not explained in tutorial. Ty!
DDU is made to be use directly without removal from the control panel. The cleanup will be more efficient without removal from the control panel.
gilmoniz

Post by gilmoniz »

Wagnard wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:47 pm DDU is made to be use directly without removal from the control panel. The cleanup will be more efficient without removal from the control panel.
Many thanks for that.