Wagnard, I found a corruption bug with NVCP and DDU can't fix it!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

Wagnard, if you are testing (not even creating--just testing!) custom resolutions in the NVCP (Nvidia control panel), and you crash the display driver while testing custom resolutions (for example, using a "Vertical Total" that is accepted by the NVCP but is actually invalid --example: 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz, Horizontal 2020, the NVCP will say to use a vertical total higher than the resolution pixels (1080), but if you enter 1081, the NVCP will accept it and crash with repeated NVKKKLM whatever errors, because the lowest VT that is actually valid is 1087.

If the Nvidia driver does not recover gracefully, it ends up *corrupting* the link to EDID overrides installed with "ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility" in games (not on the desktop), causing a different refresh rate to be used when you start a game, rather than what is on the desktop. With certain custom resolutions installed (in Toasty X CRU), when the NVCP's directX resolutions are corrupted like this, certain EDID overrides in ToastyX CRU can crash the driver again. At this point, all of the "default" refresh rates will work. But any custom refresh rates will switch to something else, and if that something else is another resolution (e.g. 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz) when you are at 1920 x 1080 default, the Nvidia driver will instacrash when launching a game again.

The problem is, Uninstalling the Nvidia driver with DDU in safe mode does NOT fix this problem at all! Whatever is corrupted (something related to the NVCP and custom / directX resolutions / refresh rates) doesn't seem to be touched by DDU.

the only fix to this problem is to either system restore to before you corrupted the NVCP, or to repair install windows :(:(

Is it possible to update DDU to be able to fix the parts of the registry or system drivers that the Nvidia custom resolution utility changes? This is actually a pretty serious problem (and it's not DDU's problem). Even if you run DDU in safe mode, uninstall the driver and install a new driver with your internet unplugged, the "corruption" with EDID Overrides (custom resolutions installed with ToastyX CRU) still remains. It's something the NVCP itself does to create its own custom resolutions. Resetting ToastyX CRU (reset-all.exe) doesn't fix this because the problem is in the NVCP itself!

If your NVCP custom resolution utility is corrupted, if you 'test' any custom refresh rate successfully, it will suddenly start working perfectly again---until you reboot! Where it will be corrupted again.

Thank you!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Wagnard, I found a corruption bug with NVCP and DDU can't fix it!

Post by Wagnard »

Falkentyne wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:28 am Wagnard, if you are testing (not even creating--just testing!) custom resolutions in the NVCP (Nvidia control panel), and you crash the display driver while testing custom resolutions (for example, using a "Vertical Total" that is accepted by the NVCP but is actually invalid --example: 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz, Horizontal 2020, the NVCP will say to use a vertical total higher than the resolution pixels (1080), but if you enter 1081, the NVCP will accept it and crash with repeated NVKKKLM whatever errors, because the lowest VT that is actually valid is 1087.

If the Nvidia driver does not recover gracefully, it ends up *corrupting* the link to EDID overrides installed with "ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility" in games (not on the desktop), causing a different refresh rate to be used when you start a game, rather than what is on the desktop. With certain custom resolutions installed (in Toasty X CRU), when the NVCP's directX resolutions are corrupted like this, certain EDID overrides in ToastyX CRU can crash the driver again. At this point, all of the "default" refresh rates will work. But any custom refresh rates will switch to something else, and if that something else is another resolution (e.g. 2560 x 1440 @ 144hz) when you are at 1920 x 1080 default, the Nvidia driver will instacrash when launching a game again.

The problem is, Uninstalling the Nvidia driver with DDU in safe mode does NOT fix this problem at all! Whatever is corrupted (something related to the NVCP and custom / directX resolutions / refresh rates) doesn't seem to be touched by DDU.

the only fix to this problem is to either system restore to before you corrupted the NVCP, or to repair install windows :(:(

Is it possible to update DDU to be able to fix the parts of the registry or system drivers that the Nvidia custom resolution utility changes? This is actually a pretty serious problem (and it's not DDU's problem). Even if you run DDU in safe mode, uninstall the driver and install a new driver with your internet unplugged, the "corruption" with EDID Overrides (custom resolutions installed with ToastyX CRU) still remains. It's something the NVCP itself does to create its own custom resolutions. Resetting ToastyX CRU (reset-all.exe) doesn't fix this because the problem is in the NVCP itself!

If your NVCP custom resolution utility is corrupted, if you 'test' any custom refresh rate successfully, it will suddenly start working perfectly again---until you reboot! Where it will be corrupted again.

Thank you!
Hi, I will see if I can do something about it.
Thanks for the report
Note: when using DDU have you tried cleaning with the options remove monitor selected?
Also if you have a DDU logs, that would be helpful. You can send it at [email protected]
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

The remove monitor is selected. (well I see "monitors...removed!" in the logs). But I don't think that is the problem.

I found something that might help you.

When you "test" a custom resolution in the NVCP, this is triggered in windows event viewer.

A caller specified the SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION flag in a call to the SetDisplayConfig() API

Sounds like that might be a good place to start :)

log attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

Sorry, i sent the email. DIdn't read the reply carefully enough to notice that you wanted me to send the logs there. Sorry!
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

Do you think @Wagnard will be able to work his magic to allow DDU to restore whatever NVCP has corrupted?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Im looking at this, it require some research on my end for theses custom resolution. I need to know where hey are store, how is Toasty X is doing it's stuff, etc...
A thing you should do, is report to Nvidia the crash you mentioned. Their driver are not supposed to crash like that.