Is DDU worth using before installing new drivers?

Samehada

Post by Samehada »

A few years ago I saw a post somewhere about using DDU first before installing the latest NVIDIA drivers. I've been blindly doing it this entire time since I read that it was recommended a few years ago. Every time before I update my drivers I've been doing it. It's been so long now that I'm not sure if it's still recommended, if it's a waste of time, or what the consensus is. I thought I'd check in and ask for more recent opinions/information on the matter.

Also, I've only ever used the default settings, but does DDU have an option to not remove all my NVIDIA settings/profiles every time I use it? Now days I've learned a lot more about configuring profiles individually for each game, to maximize my performance/minimize issues. Also changing my global settings and other NVIDIA settings for my needs too. It's now getting painful to memorize my settings for every game and having to manually set them back up again and again, so I thought I'd ask about this and if it were possible to not have these reset. And of course if DDU is still worth using too.

Thanks!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Is DDU worth using before installing new drivers?

Post by Wagnard »

Samehada wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:26 pm A few years ago I saw a post somewhere about using DDU first before installing the latest NVIDIA drivers. I've been blindly doing it this entire time since I read that it was recommended a few years ago. Every time before I update my drivers I've been doing it. It's been so long now that I'm not sure if it's still recommended, if it's a waste of time, or what the consensus is. I thought I'd check in and ask for more recent opinions/information on the matter.

Also, I've only ever used the default settings, but does DDU have an option to not remove all my NVIDIA settings/profiles every time I use it? Now days I've learned a lot more about configuring profiles individually for each game, to maximize my performance/minimize issues. Also changing my global settings and other NVIDIA settings for my needs too. It's now getting painful to memorize my settings for every game and having to manually set them back up again and again, so I thought I'd ask about this and if it were possible to not have these reset. And of course if DDU is still worth using too.

Thanks!
Hi, using DDU is not mandatory. It's best to use it when you need it. If you want to keep your profile informations, use the normal nvidia installer. If you encounter weird issue, use DDU.