"There is a pending reboot, please reboot before using DDU"

Jenkins44

Post by Jenkins44 »

After playing the Battlefield 1 free trial, and not being overly thrilled about my GPU's performance(framerate drops, stuttering), I decided to uninstall my NVIDIA drivers. Unfortunately, I did this manually through the control panel like an idiot instead of using DDU like the entire internet suggested.

When I attempted to reinstall the latest NVIDIA driver(373.06), which is still installed because there were only 4 NVIDIA programs in the control panel (Phys X System Software, an Audio Driver, a 3D Vision controller driver and something else, maybe GeForce Experience), every installation fails at configuring system. This includes installation of GeForce experience, which is what i really need to fix because of the Battlefield 1 release i'm going to assume there will be a driver update shortly after it releases.

So attempting to correct my mistake, I downloaded DDU, extracted it, installed it and attempted to run it.

It keeps telling me there is a pending reboot. I've rebooted over 15 times since this first happened.

Please for the love of God can anyone help me

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: "There is a pending reboot, please reboot before using DDU"

Post by Wagnard »

Jenkins44 wrote:After playing the Battlefield 1 free trial, and not being overly thrilled about my GPU's performance(framerate drops, stuttering), I decided to uninstall my NVIDIA drivers. Unfortunately, I did this manually through the control panel like an idiot instead of using DDU like the entire internet suggested.

When I attempted to reinstall the latest NVIDIA driver(373.06), which is still installed because there were only 4 NVIDIA programs in the control panel (Phys X System Software, an Audio Driver, a 3D Vision controller driver and something else, maybe GeForce Experience), every installation fails at configuring system. This includes installation of GeForce experience, which is what i really need to fix because of the Battlefield 1 release i'm going to assume there will be a driver update shortly after it releases.

So attempting to correct my mistake, I downloaded DDU, extracted it, installed it and attempted to run it.

It keeps telling me there is a pending reboot. I've rebooted over 15 times since this first happened.

Please for the love of God can anyone help me
Usually this happens when DDU check if there is a reboot pending because of a Windows Update.

If you are 100% sure nothing is waiting to be installed, you coul try to remove this subkey :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired

DDU warns you if it find RebootRequired subkey
Jenkins44

Post by Jenkins44 »

Its funny that you mention a windows update. I have mine set to automatic but last night went and checked them. Im working with windows 7 HE but it was showing that i needed a restart to install windows 10, which i dont want. I didnt click the "restart" button because i dont want to install this. What do you suggest? This windows 10 install update has been there since the end of july but its never stopped any other install before.

Could you explain how to get to the subkey youre saying to delete? Thats way above my paygrade when it comes to computers and im not sure how to find it.

Thanks a bunch for your reply
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Jenkins44 wrote:Its funny that you mention a windows update. I have mine set to automatic but last night went and checked them. Im working with windows 7 HE but it was showing that i needed a restart to install windows 10, which i dont want. I didnt click the "restart" button because i dont want to install this. What do you suggest? This windows 10 install update has been there since the end of july but its never stopped any other install before.

Could you explain how to get to the subkey youre saying to delete? Thats way above my paygrade when it comes to computers and im not sure how to find it.

Thanks a bunch for your reply
Well honestly I wouldn't recommend to remove the key since it seems it is there for a legitimate reason from what you just told me.
But if. You still want to get to that key, simply use REGEDIT and navigate to that key. It should be straight forward.
Jenkins44

Post by Jenkins44 »

Ok well if you don't recommend removing that key, is there another option you'd recommend doing to solve this problem?