Getting permanent black screen when loading windows

Catacrunch

Post by Catacrunch »

Hi all, I am in desperate need of some help. Firstly I will give you the system details.
Windows 10, 32gb ddr3, AMD Hexcore (FX-6300), Nvidia GTX 1080 (ASUS STRIX).

Ok on with the issue, I have had the GTX 1080 for about a month now and it has been a little temperamental (works fine if left alone but if you select 'Overclock mode' or 'Gaming mode' in the GPU Tweak II software that comes with the card it just shuts the computer down. I msg'd the retailer (Overclockers UK) and they suggested the DDU tool and use that to remove the drivers completely then just re-install.

I downloaded the software and upon loading it suggested that it would be better if I boot up in safe mode and use the software then. So i selected to reboot in safe mode and the computer shutdown and started loading. All i got was a blank screen, no bios loading, no windows loading nothing.. I pressed the power button and the computer shut down instantly instead of me having to hold for 10 seconds or so. I have tried over a dozen times with no luck (also tried just holding down f2 to get into bios, f8 for boot options, resetting the motherboard) I dont have a hardcopy of windows (the huge downside to digital downloads) so its not as if i could boot up from the disc.

I am desperate for a solution as my computer is also my computer I use for work at home (VFX developer) and not only do I have a crazy amount of work on it but I have a deadline to meet (Tuesday) and if I miss that well lets just say I will be up a certain creek without a paddle...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Getting permanent black screen when loading windows

Post by Wagnard »

Catacrunch wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:11 pm Hi all, I am in desperate need of some help. Firstly I will give you the system details.
Windows 10, 32gb ddr3, AMD Hexcore (FX-6300), Nvidia GTX 1080 (ASUS STRIX).

Ok on with the issue, I have had the GTX 1080 for about a month now and it has been a little temperamental (works fine if left alone but if you select 'Overclock mode' or 'Gaming mode' in the GPU Tweak II software that comes with the card it just shuts the computer down. I msg'd the retailer (Overclockers UK) and they suggested the DDU tool and use that to remove the drivers completely then just re-install.

I downloaded the software and upon loading it suggested that it would be better if I boot up in safe mode and use the software then. So i selected to reboot in safe mode and the computer shutdown and started loading. All i got was a blank screen, no bios loading, no windows loading nothing.. I pressed the power button and the computer shut down instantly instead of me having to hold for 10 seconds or so. I have tried over a dozen times with no luck (also tried just holding down f2 to get into bios, f8 for boot options, resetting the motherboard) I dont have a hardcopy of windows (the huge downside to digital downloads) so its not as if i could boot up from the disc.

I am desperate for a solution as my computer is also my computer I use for work at home (VFX developer) and not only do I have a crazy amount of work on it but I have a deadline to meet (Tuesday) and if I miss that well lets just say I will be up a certain creek without a paddle...
Hello, first of all, welcome to Wagnardsoft.

For your issue, if you don't see the BIOS post when the computer start, then your videocard or something else on your system is probably faulty.
Another point you mentioned that pointed in that direction is when you said the computer shuts down itself when activating the Overclock mode.

Technically, It is impossible for DDU to prevent the computer from posting (Bios loading).
It could be possible to get a black screen after the bios loading preventing to load Windows in safe mode under some computers tho.
So can you confirm that when you shut the computer down completly and then powering it up, you really don't see the bios (or anything else)?
It's that the case, then DDU is not the cause of your problem and you should look into the computer case and try re-seating your GPU / memory / verifying cables, etc...

You can also try to reset the CMOS.

If you are able to see the BIOS / posting and it is just Windows that keep black screening, refer to this post ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13#p23 ) to help revert the Safe Mode back into Normal mode.

You could also try another videocard to see if the computer turn ON.

But my first opinion on your issue is that you computer have a hardware defect because of the sudden shutdown and also that you didn't have to hold a few second the power button is unusual.
Catacrunch

Post by Catacrunch »

Thank you for the welcome :)

I had a feeling that there was some hardware issue thats why I contacted the retailer of the card. But I have had zero issues with booting ETC, it was only until the computer was told to boot into safe mode that this issue occurs. I am not blaming your software by the way as after looking into this black screen issue I have found it seems to be something common with windows 10 and safe mode.

I am getting hard drive activity (i can see the led flashing away) and the keyboard is flashing at the start indicating the boot up sequence but on the screen is absolutely nothing.

I have re-seated the graphics card (which both lights on it are indicating no faults),I am just waiting for my wife to finish on her computer so i can take her card out and try that in mine but other than that it appears to be trapped in some kind of black screen of death.

I am truly at loss to how the computer was working perfect one minute (apart from the issue with GPU Tweak causing a hard shutdown) then because of something putting me into safe mode has caused this
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

It's a very good thing you see keyboard lights and hdd activity. It means the computer is. Not dead and is actually booting.
Let's see what happens when you switch GPU.
Catacrunch

Post by Catacrunch »

OK I have switched the GPU and I have graphics (could enter into BIOS and got the windows loading screen), now just left with a black screen and white cursor.

So yeah a minor hardware issue now a major issue created by trying to go into safe mode and resulting in a dead 1 month old £700 GPU haha
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Catacrunch wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:45 pm OK I have switched the GPU and I have graphics (could enter into BIOS and got the windows loading screen), now just left with a black screen and white cursor.

So yeah a minor hardware issue now a major issue created by trying to go into safe mode and resulting in a dead 1 month old £700 GPU haha
Trying to go into safe mode is a coincidence that you gpu broke at the same time.
But at least the motherboard /Cpu is working.

For the white cursor when loading windows, it can be fixed in several way, try to do the link I posted earlier.
You could also try to enable CSM in the bios.
Also windows safe mode not working is a sign that something is wrong in your system.
Catacrunch

Post by Catacrunch »

No hard copy so can't boot from that, Holding down shift key brings up nothing. Lol

Also can't find CSM in the BIOS (Motherboard - Asus M5 A97 R2.0), also looked through the mobo manual and can't see any mention (but I have done the cms jumper switches and reset BIOS) with no change.

This is the second Asus strix card which I have had which was faulty, first was a gtx 980 strix earlier last year now the gtx 1080. Doubt I will get a refund but; am hoping overclockers.co.UK will at least do a replacement.

Just need to get my hands on a hard copy of win 10 pro and a temp GPU to tide me over (will have to give the Mrs her GPU back or I will be in trouble haha)
Catacrunch

Post by Catacrunch »

In regards to the issue of windows still being a pain and not loading is probably an issue with the OS itself (too many hard resets due to no display at all prior to trying out the other GPU). Lol (I really hope so anyway) :lol:
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Catacrunch wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:43 pm In regards to the issue of windows still being a pain and not loading is probably an issue with the OS itself (too many hard resets due to no display at all prior to trying out the other GPU). Lol (I really hope so anyway) :lol:
I guess you are right. A Windows fresh install won't hurt ;)
Catacrunch

Post by Catacrunch »

Bit of a strange few days regarding the issue. I dropped in another card along side it but turns out my HD was damaged (probably due to the amount of hard reboots that had been done) so I put in another HD from another system and put of the blue the card worked. Awesome I thought, it may have been the HD all along.

So I bought a new HD and got a windows disc and proceeded to install a fresh windows. All was great until it requested a reboot to finalise the install. The computer rebooted and the black screen returned. I waited patiently (45 minutes) and still nothing. So I dropped in another card and the I got a display no problem at all on that. So I tried the 1080 again and nothing at all.

I have since been speaking with overclockers.co.UK and they have themselves agreed that the card is obviously the issue and have agreed that it should be exchanged.

Thank you for your suggestions and help, in all my years dealing with computers I have never had such a confusing and frustrating issue. Who knew going into safemode could cause a GPU with a seemingly minor issue to fli out like that.hha