Corrupted Windows 10 from using DDU???

johnny2x4

Post by johnny2x4 »

So I had just installed the newest version of DDU today, version 17.0.5.3

I am running a Windows 10 OS (Pro), with an NVIDIA Gtx 960 (manufactured by EVGA).

I'm using no additional software for OC'ing, but I do use MSI Afterburner to set my own custom fan speed on the card.

I have used DDU multiple times before this with no errors. Also, I have system restore disabled on my OS, with no backups currently. I was running version 378.49 NVIDIA driver, and when I DDU'ed it in safe mode, the computer restarted really slowly and couldn't boot up properly. I was forced to unplug the power, and once it booted up Windows seem to be working very badly: Network connection services do not work (even though I can still connect to my network just fine on my phone and other laptops still), hardware is no longer recognized (E.G doesn't recognize my I5 4690 CPU anymore),

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but all I know is upon running DDU (the clean drivers and restart computer option in safe mode) Windows stopped working properly, and I don't know what to do from here.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Corrupted Windows 10 from using DDU???

Post by Wagnard »

johnny2x4 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:28 pm So I had just installed the newest version of DDU today, version 17.0.5.3

I am running a Windows 10 OS (Pro), with an NVIDIA Gtx 960 (manufactured by EVGA).

I'm using no additional software for OC'ing, but I do use MSI Afterburner to set my own custom fan speed on the card.

I have used DDU multiple times before this with no errors. Also, I have system restore disabled on my OS, with no backups currently. I was running version 378.49 NVIDIA driver, and when I DDU'ed it in safe mode, the computer restarted really slowly and couldn't boot up properly. I was forced to unplug the power, and once it booted up Windows seem to be working very badly: Network connection services do not work (even though I can still connect to my network just fine on my phone and other laptops still), hardware is no longer recognized (E.G doesn't recognize my I5 4690 CPU anymore),

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but all I know is upon running DDU (the clean drivers and restart computer option in safe mode) Windows stopped working properly, and I don't know what to do from here.
Hi, send me the DDU logs at [email protected]

Also, what do you mean by the Cpu is not recognized? With the bios or device manager?

Also, there is only a very small chance that DDU is at cause because like you said, you ran it multiple time and DDU code doesn't change much from version to version as it is quite mature and if DDU was at cause, you probably would have this problem under an old version too.
johnny2x4

Post by johnny2x4 »

I'm not home right now so I cannot post the log (but will later), but I did not check to see if BIOS recognized my hardware, I only looked in Device Manager on Windows, and it couldn't recognize my hardware.

Basically, a lot of Windows 10 services/features just started to malfunction and the system is running inefficiently, and although it is true I did not have any issues using DDU in the past but as soon as I DDU'ed recently that's exactly when everything went wrong.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

johnny2x4 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:14 pm I'm not home right now so I cannot post the log (but will later), but I did not check to see if BIOS recognized my hardware, I only looked in Device Manager on Windows, and it couldn't recognize my hardware.

Basically, a lot of Windows 10 services/features just started to malfunction and the system is running inefficiently, and although it is true I did not have any issues using DDU in the past but as soon as I DDU'ed recently that's exactly when everything went wrong.
We will wait for your log to see if something went wrong with DDU.
Also a screenshot of your device manager would be nice.
If necessary, ill help you at distance with teamviewer and see if we can fix this.
johnny2x4

Post by johnny2x4 »

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

johnny2x4 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:30 pm http://pastebin.com/cPTNjX60

That is the log.
I think you had the problem before running DDU, Even DDU encounter errors when trying to remove Infs, it get a Win32 error 13 (Data is invalid) I never ever saw that with DDU when removing devices...
Also according to the log, DDU never played with the CPU name.

I other words, DDU wasn't able to do its work completely as *something* was preventing it. I'm positive you had an issue before using DDU.
johnny2x4

Post by johnny2x4 »

I had 0 issues until I ran DDU earlier this morning. Needless to say, I will probably perform a reinstall of the OS, but I highly doubt any problems existed because after DDU uninstalled the driver, network services stopped working, options to reset the PC didnt work when troubleshooting, and commands such as sfc /scannow weren't working either.

I'll probably check my SSD after the clean install and see if there's a problem with it, but I probably won't ever touch DDU again.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

johnny2x4 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:54 pm I had 0 issues until I ran DDU earlier this morning. Needless to say, I will probably perform a reinstall of the OS, but I highly doubt any problems existed because after DDU uninstalled the driver, network services stopped working, options to reset the PC didnt work when troubleshooting, and commands such as sfc /scannow weren't working either.

I'll probably check my SSD after the clean install and see if there's a problem with it, but I probably won't ever touch DDU again.
Sorry you feel that way. But the log aren't lying, you had a win32 error code #13 when DDU ran SetupAPI. (removing device from device manager). This is a code generated by Windows and it was before removing files / registry stuff. It was at the very beginning of DDU run when removing devices.
Anyway no need for you to run DDU if you don't need it.

Still sorry for the trouble.

Also as a recommendation, keep system restore active, you would have been able to revert any DDU changes.
johnny2x4

Post by johnny2x4 »

Per your opinion, do you think this can be due to bad sectors on a storage device (SDD), or faulty memory (RAM)?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

johnny2x4 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:07 pm Per your opinion, do you think this can be due to bad sectors on a storage device (SDD), or faulty memory (RAM)?
I think it could be more of a faulty ram. Usually SSD manage well their bad sectors and put them out of uses.
Did you had any problems prior using DDU? Anything weird? What was the reason of using DDU initially?

If you had absolutely 0 issue before, then maybe DDU did something that only happens 1 of 1000th time. There is always bugs and I can't say for 100% that DDU is 100% safe. (That its why it ask to make a system restore and take backup.)

Still even if it is or not DDU fault, I'm sorry for the bad experience you had.