[NVIDIA] DDU taking stuck at "Starting registry cleanup" on safe mode

zackes

Post by zackes »

I used DDU several times in my computer before and it always went really fast in safe mode (cleaning and restarting), but today my DDU is stuck in "Starting registry cleanup". I rebooted manually my computer and was able to install Nvidia driver again, but I noticed some of the macros in my keyboard (Coolermaster Trigger Z) didn't work so I had to manually add them again. I don't know if that's related, but this never happened before and happened on the first reboot after DDU got stuck in safe mode, so it could be related.

My antivirus Kaspersky was also complaining that DDU was a malware today after I chose the option to restart in safe mode (never happened before), so I added DDU to the exclusions and it rebooted OK in safe mode.

Since the last time I used DDU until today, I change/updated some things with my drivers since I was getting some GPU crashes (and one BSOD) while playing Watch_Dogs 2. But since I got another crash yesterday, I wanted to downgrade the GPU driver to 378.77 that was OK with this game. Here's a list of the drivers I updated since the last time I used DDU:
- Updated BIOS
- Updated Nvidia driver (378.78)
- Updater Intel Rapid Storage driver
- Updated Intel Chipset driver

I don't know if there was a lot of stuff to do after the registry cleanup, but when I rebooted manually because DDU got stuck, Windows installed the generic driver like it always did, so apparently DDU worked OK, just didn't reboot the computer.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: [NVIDIA] DDU taking stuck at "Starting registry cleanup" on safe mode

Post by Wagnard »

zackes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 am I used DDU several times in my computer before and it always went really fast in safe mode (cleaning and restarting), but today my DDU is stuck in "Starting registry cleanup". I rebooted manually my computer and was able to install Nvidia driver again, but I noticed some of the macros in my keyboard (Coolermaster Trigger Z) didn't work so I had to manually add them again. I don't know if that's related, but this never happened before and happened on the first reboot after DDU got stuck in safe mode, so it could be related.

My antivirus Kaspersky was also complaining that DDU was a malware today after I chose the option to restart in safe mode (never happened before), so I added DDU to the exclusions and it rebooted OK in safe mode.

Since the last time I used DDU until today, I change/updated some things with my drivers since I was getting some GPU crashes (and one BSOD) while playing Watch_Dogs 2. But since I got another crash yesterday, I wanted to downgrade the GPU driver to 378.77 that was OK with this game. Here's a list of the drivers I updated since the last time I used DDU:
- Updated BIOS

I don't know if there was a lot of stuff to do after the registry cleanup, but when I rebooted manually because DDU got stuck, Windows installed the generic driver like it always did, so apparently DDU worked OK, just didn't reboot the computer.
Thanks for your report.
It's the first report I have received about this recently

Are you using the latest version?

To answer your question, he registry cleanup is on the first thing DDU does. So the cleaning was probably highly incomplete.

Also, I guess there was no log generated for his clean session?
If ou happen to try again, try to see in task manager if DDU is eating any Cpu resources when it look stuck.
zackes

Post by zackes »

Wagnard wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am
zackes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:51 am I used DDU several times in my computer before and it always went really fast in safe mode (cleaning and restarting), but today my DDU is stuck in "Starting registry cleanup". I rebooted manually my computer and was able to install Nvidia driver again, but I noticed some of the macros in my keyboard (Coolermaster Trigger Z) didn't work so I had to manually add them again. I don't know if that's related, but this never happened before and happened on the first reboot after DDU got stuck in safe mode, so it could be related.

- Updated BIOS

Thanks for your report.

To answer your question, he registry cleanup is on the first thing DDU does. So the cleaning was probably highly incomplete.

If ou happen to try again, try to see in task manager if DDU is eating any Cpu resources when it look stuck.
Yes, I was using 17.0.6.0.

I attached the log. This was the second attempt, the first one got stuck too, but I ended up deleting the folder and extracting DDU again. On the first attempt DDU wasn't on Kaspersky's exclusion list and when I rebooted the computer Kaspersky had deleted the .exe, on the second attempt (from the log), the folder was already on the exclusion list and the .exe wasn't touched. The malware warning weren't about the .exe itself, but about what the .exe was trying to do. It even said "Registry restored" or something like that after detecting it as malware when it wasn't on the exclusion list.

I'll try again later or tomorrow to see how about the task manager part.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zackes on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

zackes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:40 am

- Updated BIOS

Thanks for your report.

I attached the log.

If you still have the same problem, try the version just before. Just to rule out the possibility that it came from he newest version.
zackes

Post by zackes »

Wagnard wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:44 am
Thanks for your report.

I attached the log.

If you still have the same problem, try the version just before. Just to rule out the possibility that it came from he newest version.
I just tested with DDU 17.0.5.5 and the problem was gone! This time it didn't get stuck on the registry cleanup and my system rebooted in less than a minute after clicking "Clean and Restart", so I think it's something with the latest version (17.0.6.0).
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

zackes wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:39 pm
Wagnard wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:44 am

I attached the log.

I just tested with DDU 17.0.5.5 and the problem was gone! This time it didn't get stuck on the registry cleanup and my system rebooted in less than a minute after clicking "Clean and Restart", so I think it's something with the latest version (17.0.6.0).
Thanks for the info.
If you can try again (if you feel like it) with 17.0.6.0 just to confirm that it wasn't just bad luck the first time.
Also send me a log again if it's stuck.

There is some possibility that it is due to a bug in our new TaskScheduler cleanup Rewrote.
SergeTroy

Post by SergeTroy »

Just mentioning I also ran into this, which was a bit of a bummer and I do apologize that my first forum post is to report an error. Have otherwise very much appreciated DDU as every bit of a clean uninstall / re-install appeals to me based on prior experiences with hardware/software issues. I had the error a day or two ago (late night fiddling), and the only thing I was able to do was shut down the PC (disremember whether I was able to somehow do it via the shut down from Start Menu, or if I had to physically turn off the power. PC is homebuilt, currently using a very newly clean re-install of Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. I'll get back to you with my next attempts results and with far more details and what logs, etc. I can put together.

Again, have otherwise had nothing but a positive experience with this and regret I'm not able to offer more than praise for a great utility at this time.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

SergeTroy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 pm Just mentioning I also ran into this, which was a bit of a bummer and I do apologize that my first forum post is to report an error. Have otherwise very much appreciated DDU as every bit of a clean uninstall / re-install appeals to me based on prior experiences with hardware/software issues. I had the error a day or two ago (late night fiddling), and the only thing I was able to do was shut down the PC (disremember whether I was able to somehow do it via the shut down from Start Menu, or if I had to physically turn off the power. PC is homebuilt, currently using a very newly clean re-install of Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. I'll get back to you with my next attempts results and with far more details and what logs, etc. I can put together.

Again, have otherwise had nothing but a positive experience with this and regret I'm not able to offer more than praise for a great utility at this time.
Thanks for your reply it is highly appreciated, I will get a test machine running on Windows 7 today as both of you had issue with this OS

Can I also get your DDU log related to the issue?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Wagnard wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:07 am
SergeTroy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:50 pm Just mentioning I also ran into this, which was a bit of a bummer and I do apologize that my first forum post is to report an error. Have otherwise very much appreciated DDU as every bit of a clean uninstall / re-install appeals to me based on prior experiences with hardware/software issues. I had the error a day or two ago (late night fiddling), and the only thing I was able to do was shut down the PC (disremember whether I was able to somehow do it via the shut down from Start Menu, or if I had to physically turn off the power. PC is homebuilt, currently using a very newly clean re-install of Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. I'll get back to you with my next attempts results and with far more details and what logs, etc. I can put together.

Thanks for your reply it is highly appreciated, I will get a test machine running on Windows 7 today as both of you had issue with this OS

Can I also get your DDU log related to the issue?
I HAVE A REPRO. WORKING ON IT.

Edit: Issue is not present in Safe Mode with Networking
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

The issue is now fixed in v17.0.6.1