Black Screen on DDU Driver Uninstall/Reinstall

Rocktop1010

Post by Rocktop1010 »

Hey guys, I have a mystery issue that I'm hoping you can help me solve.

Some assumptions right up front, to preclude unnecessary debugging: 1) I run 6 other systems with precisely the same hardware configuration as this system, and 2) prior to a recent reformat/reinstallation of windows, this system was 100% functional with the same hardware now in it.

The issue is twofold but related. No issues installing drivers on a single GFX card. But when I install 2+ cards, the first installs correctly, but the second freezes on a black screen. Where it is normally to see the screen flicker to black momentarily, it stays. As I debugged this issue, I used DDU (latest version) to remove drivers. Once again, as DDU executed the removal, where you would normally see the flicker, the screen freezes on black. The solution so far is to execute DDU in safe mode, where it doesn't have any issues. From there I can reboot and install a single card (no issues), or multiple cards (black screen as above).

My debugging so far:
1) Executed the above several times to confirm. Same result.
2) Executed DDU in safe mode, installed drivers with one card present, restarted with a second card installed to let it auto-install. Same result.
3) Executed DDU in safe mode, reinstated Windows Update, and let it install the drivers. Same result.
4) Executed DDU in safe mode, restarted headless using TeamViewer, and attempted 2-card installation. Same result.
5) Hang-tested multiple different cards, different drivers, different PCIe slots, different VGA power cables. Same result.
6) Used MDSCHED in Admin Mode to test memory. No issues.
7) Executed clean windows installation, then performed the above. Same result.

At this point, I am basically down to power supply, SSD, processor, and motherboard, all of which were functioning perfectly fine before I reformatted. If anyone has something I can try that I haven't thought of, please fire away! I've been debugging every day after work for a week, and I'm ready to throw this thing out the window. Thank you in advance!!!

Specs:
-MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
-Intel Celeron G1840
-Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 CL10 DIMM
-EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 PSU
-KingDian SATA III 60GB SSD
-2x MSI Gaming Radeon RX 470 4GB, stock ROM, no OC
-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 14393.rs1_release_sec.170427-1353
-DDU v17.0.6.5
-AMD Crimson 16.9.1 64-bit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Black Screen on DDU Driver Uninstall/Reinstall

Post by Wagnard »

Rocktop1010 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 11:02 am Hey guys, I have a mystery issue that I'm hoping you can help me solve.

Some assumptions right up front, to preclude unnecessary debugging: 1) I run 6 other systems with precisely the same hardware configuration as this system, and 2) prior to a recent reformat/reinstallation of windows, this system was 100% functional with the same hardware now in it.

The issue is twofold but related. No issues installing drivers on a single GFX card. But when I install 2+ cards, the first installs correctly, but the second freezes on a black screen. Where it is normally to see the screen flicker to black momentarily, it stays. As I debugged this issue, I used DDU (latest version) to remove drivers. Once again, as DDU executed the removal, where you would normally see the flicker, the screen freezes on black. The solution so far is to execute DDU in safe mode, where it doesn't have any issues. From there I can reboot and install a single card (no issues), or multiple cards (black screen as above).

My debugging so far:
1) Executed the above several times to confirm. Same result.
2) Executed DDU in safe mode, installed drivers with one card present, restarted with a second card installed to let it auto-install. Same result.
3) Executed DDU in safe mode, reinstated Windows Update, and let it install the drivers. Same result.
4) Executed DDU in safe mode, restarted headless using TeamViewer, and attempted 2-card installation. Same result.
5) Hang-tested multiple different cards, different drivers, different PCIe slots, different VGA power cables. Same result.
6) Used MDSCHED in Admin Mode to test memory. No issues.
7) Executed clean windows installation, then performed the above. Same result.

At this point, I am basically down to power supply, SSD, processor, and motherboard, all of which were functioning perfectly fine before I reformatted. If anyone has something I can try that I haven't thought of, please fire away! I've been debugging every day after work for a week, and I'm ready to throw this thing out the window. Thank you in advance!!!

Specs:
-MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
-Intel Celeron G1840
-Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB 1600mhz DDR3 CL10 DIMM
-EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 PSU
-KingDian SATA III 60GB SSD
-2x MSI Gaming Radeon RX 470 4GB, stock ROM, no OC
-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, build 14393.rs1_release_sec.170427-1353
-DDU v17.0.6.5
-AMD Crimson 16.9.1 64-bit
When you have the black screen, does the computer seems dead too or there is still HDD activity?
Rocktop1010

Post by Rocktop1010 »

After typing all of that up, I figured it out on my own! Simple noob-ish mistake. I was certain that I had re-baselined the BIOS on all of the cards, but it turns out one or two were still running my modded BIOS. Doesn't play nice with DDU or driver installations, apparently. Once I re-baselined them all just to be sure, everything worked as designed.

All that being said, I really appreciate the prompt response, Wagnard. You guys put out an excellent and vital utility, and I truly appreciate your efforts and responsiveness. Have a great day.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Rocktop1010 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:02 am After typing all of that up, I figured it out on my own! Simple noob-ish mistake. I was certain that I had re-baselined the BIOS on all of the cards, but it turns out one or two were still running my modded BIOS. Doesn't play nice with DDU or driver installations, apparently. Once I re-baselined them all just to be sure, everything worked as designed.

All that being said, I really appreciate the prompt response, Wagnard. You guys put out an excellent and vital utility, and I truly appreciate your efforts and responsiveness. Have a great day.
Glad you were able to find out !
And thanks for the info, it could help other users too. ;)