Black Screen + Second Phantom Monitor

Magirock

Post by Magirock »

Hello everyone! I've been having issues ever since I first used DDU some months ago. I could deal with them back in the day, but now I would like to see if there is a permanent fix since not even a windows re-install could fix this.

I used DDU to clean up the nvidia drivers, and afterwards got stuck into the password screen because I forgot my outlook account password... And thus my only choice was to re-install windows for the first time. Everything turned out well, but afterwards the system wouldn't detect my nvidia card and I still got a black screen. My workaround was to force the igpu to be active, despite the dedicated nvidia card being connected, so that I could at least see what was going on on the screen.

After that I downloaded the nvidia drivers, they installed correctly, and then -finally- switched the BIOS setting so that it would use the dedicated gpu. It worked, BUT Windows thinks I have TWO monitors! I am afraid that once I get a new video card I will have to go through all this hassle again.

I am using the igpu right now because I am thinking about switching cards, however I will attach screenshots so you can see my issue. Re-installed windows like 3 times already and no dice, as well, the system just WON'T detect the video card unless I do all this workaround.

Please help me.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Black Screen + Second Phantom Monitor

Post by Wagnard »

Magirock wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:52 pm Hello everyone! I've been having issues ever since I first used DDU some months ago. I could deal with them back in the day, but now I would like to see if there is a permanent fix since not even a windows re-install could fix this.

I used DDU to clean up the nvidia drivers, and afterwards got stuck into the password screen because I forgot my outlook account password... And thus my only choice was to re-install windows for the first time. Everything turned out well, but afterwards the system wouldn't detect my nvidia card and I still got a black screen. My workaround was to force the igpu to be active, despite the dedicated nvidia card being connected, so that I could at least see what was going on on the screen.

After that I downloaded the nvidia drivers, they installed correctly, and then -finally- switched the BIOS setting so that it would use the dedicated gpu. It worked, BUT Windows thinks I have TWO monitors! I am afraid that once I get a new video card I will have to go through all this hassle again.

I am using the igpu right now because I am thinking about switching cards, however I will attach screenshots so you can see my issue. Re-installed windows like 3 times already and no dice, as well, the system just WON'T detect the video card unless I do all this workaround.

Please help me.
1 thing for for sure, DDU can't cause this. If you have an issues even after a Windows reinstallation, then something is wrong with the computer itself.
Try to reseat the GPU
Magirock

Post by Magirock »

It happened right after using DDU, though. I will run a couple of tests again to see if it can be fixed somehow. I hope it's not related to my BIOS, though!
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Magirock wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:16 pm It happened right after using DDU, though. I will run a couple of tests again to see if it can be fixed somehow. I hope it's not related to my BIOS, though!
Yeah I know everything seems to point at DDU but remember that DDU will only clean files and registry stuff.
It can't break the hardware or bios stuff as it doesn't touch that.
Magirock

Post by Magirock »

Wagnard, first of all I would like to thank you for replying so quickly. I ran some tests, and decided to try another video card on that pcie slot to see if the issue repeated itself... Surprisingly everything worked just fine, so I can discard that it's a motherboard issue or a DDU issue, and it seems that my GPU has gone bust somehow. Phantom monitor has disappeared as well with this extra card I'm testing.

Looks like I'll purchase another GPU in the coming months. Thank you very much for your wonderful product, and I apologize for putting the blame on it (even though the unfortunate timing made me think it was DDU's fault).
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Magirock wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 pm Wagnard, first of all I would like to thank you for replying so quickly. I ran some tests, and decided to try another video card on that pcie slot to see if the issue repeated itself... Surprisingly everything worked just fine, so I can discard that it's a motherboard issue or a DDU issue, and it seems that my GPU has gone bust somehow. Phantom monitor has disappeared as well with this extra card I'm testing.

Looks like I'll purchase another GPU in the coming months. Thank you very much for your wonderful product, and I apologize for putting the blame on it (even though the unfortunate timing made me think it was DDU's fault).
No problem, best of luck with the new GPU ;)