Can't uninstall NVIDIA driver

billyo

Post by billyo »

Hello to all.
I recently had a problem when I put a new GTX690 card into my PC.
I have 3 monitors and previously I had been running 2 x GTX570 cards.
One of the 570 cards failed and that's when I got the new 690 which I thought would run all 3 monitors.
However, when I put it in, I could only get one monitor up.
It wouldn't even see either of the other two monitors.
Anyway, I decided after upgrading all drivers and still having no luck, to try DDU which I had found after a google search.
I ran it in Windows 10 Pro (not safe mode) and chose to not have windows install drivers.
When it got to the point of a restart, it would get to the Windows landscape picture where you normally click and the sign in box appears but it didn't appear.
There was no way to progress and my original 8.1 Pro disk couldn't fix it.
In fact it didn't give me any options to get into safe mode or anything.
It was really weird.
There were no restore points available either.
Anyway after a day of mucking around with it, I finally got in via command line and found a shadow copy in my Windows folder under Windows.old.
I copied DEFAULT,SAM,SECURITY,SOFTWARE and SYSTEM to my current Windows config and I actually got the sign in box back.
Once I got back into Windows, I tried to update the graphics driver again but it came up with an error and wouldn't update.
So I started up in safe mode and ran DDU again which appeared to clean it up but after restarting, the problems remained.
I started in safe mode again and then opened Device Manager.
I went to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 driver under Display adapters and tried to uninstall it but when I click on uninstall, nothing happens.
The driver remains and I can't get rid of it.
Does anyone know if there's a way using regedit or something else to kill this driver?
I can't get the 690 to start working until I get the driver updated and I can't do that as I can't update or get rid of the existing driver in Device Manager.
Any help would be appreciated as long as it's not "do a fresh install".
I know I can do that but I want to try anything else first.
Cheers Bill

Sponsor

Sponsor