Using DDU makes my computer get stuck on Starting Windows screen

cehfmingus

Post by cehfmingus »

I am trying to uninstall the 17.10.3 AMD drivers with DDU so I can install the 17.7.1 version instead because it is causing Overwatch to crash for me often. When I try to use DDU in safe mode, after it "cleans and restarts", my system starts to load but then gets stuck on the Starting Windows screen. When I try to restart it or shut it off and turn it back on, I have the same issue. Rebooting into safe mode works fine though. Dont know why. When I try to install the 17.7.1 drivers in safe mode it says either that the driver is not digitally signed or that it could not locate the detection drive. For the first issue I tried boot with "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" but get stuck on Starting windows again. Have had to restore system twice after not knowing what to do. These occurred after I used DDU so there are not any drivers installed and I am in safe mode with networking posting this.
I have removed and adware and malware that I could and have run scandisk and defrag in hopes that it might do something

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Using DDU makes my computer get stuck on Starting Windows screen

Post by Wagnard »

cehfmingus wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:04 pm I am trying to uninstall the 17.10.3 AMD drivers with DDU so I can install the 17.7.1 version instead because it is causing Overwatch to crash for me often. When I try to use DDU in safe mode, after it "cleans and restarts", my system starts to load but then gets stuck on the Starting Windows screen. When I try to restart it or shut it off and turn it back on, I have the same issue. Rebooting into safe mode works fine though. Dont know why. When I try to install the 17.7.1 drivers in safe mode it says either that the driver is not digitally signed or that it could not locate the detection drive. For the first issue I tried boot with "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" but get stuck on Starting windows again. Have had to restore system twice after not knowing what to do. These occurred after I used DDU so there are not any drivers installed and I am in safe mode with networking posting this.
I have removed and adware and malware that I could and have run scandisk and defrag in hopes that it might do something

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Hi,
Can you check in the DDU folders for the logs and send them to me? ([email protected])
You may have to clean again because your restore may have removed the logs.
Also, just to be sure, when you restore the system, normal mode is working?
cehfmingus

Post by cehfmingus »

appreciate the speedy reply, will get those sent. And yes, normal mode works fine after restore
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

cehfmingus wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:30 pm appreciate the speedy reply, will get those sent. And yes, normal mode works fine after restore
According to the DDU logs, there were quite a bunch of warnings about ERROR_INF_NOT_OEM.
This is unusual and is possibly interfering with DDU.
It's possible you have something corrupted on your system or an incompatible software that is preventing DDU to work correctly.
If you ever intend to reinstall your OS , it will probably fix the issue.

There could also be a small chance that the issue is really DDU but you are the first and only one having this kind of issue, so I suspect more something on your computer.

For the moment, I recommend that you do not use DDU to be on the safe side.

Did you also tried the AMD removal tool? and does the same thing happens with it?
vasudev1

Post by vasudev1 »

Wagnard wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 pm
cehfmingus wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:30 pm appreciate the speedy reply, will get those sent. And yes, normal mode works fine after restore
According to the DDU logs, there were quite a bunch of warnings about ERROR_INF_NOT_OEM.
This is unusual and is possibly interfering with DDU.
It's possible you have something corrupted on your system or an incompatible software that is preventing DDU to work correctly.
If you ever intend to reinstall your OS , it will probably fix the issue.

There could also be a small chance that the issue is really DDU but you are the first and only one having this kind of issue, so I suspect more something on your computer.

For the moment, I recommend that you do not use DDU to be on the safe side.

Did you also tried the AMD removal tool? and does the same thing happens with it?
I have this issue on Lenovo. It seems like a firmware bug and causes soft lockup. Usually crtl+alt+del is a workaround. I found this issue on Legacy Boot, so I can't comment on UEFI mode.