CPUCores - Viable performance booster or snake oil?

spadekevin

Post by spadekevin »

HI,

So I see there's a new program available on Steam called "CPUCores": http://store.steampowered.com/app/384300/Allegedly, this program can increase in-game FPS by allowing you to lock OS and other applications to a specific core of your CPU, and then lock games to the other, unused cores of your CPU.I haven't done much research into this program yet, and the results people are having seem to be mixed. Does anyone have any insight into this program, or hands-on experience with it?

Please help.

I did not find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1287487

Thank

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: CPUCores - Viable performance booster or snake oil?

Post by Wagnard »

spadekevin wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:02 am HI,

So I see there's a new program available on Steam called "CPUCores": http://store.steampowered.com/app/384300/Allegedly, this program can increase in-game FPS by allowing you to lock OS and other applications to a specific core of your CPU, and then lock games to the other, unused cores of your CPU.I haven't done much research into this program yet, and the results people are having seem to be mixed. Does anyone have any insight into this program, or hands-on experience with it?

Please help.

I did not find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... &t=1287487
Field Service Management Software Video

Thank
Not quite sure, never tried it.
Raletia

Post by Raletia »

I know this is old, but as I got here from a google search. I thought to register so I could provide from information before anyone spends money on a program like spadekevin was talking about. Setting affinity can be done within windows task manager, if one wishes to test out pinning programs to specific cores. As well as process priority. Those have to be done manually each program run though. An open source task manager called "Process Hacker" can run in the tray and automatically apply affinity or priority settings to a program when it runs.

I hope this is useful to someone, and that I'm not being intrusive making this reply.
Have a lovely day <3

*edit: accidentally typed explorer when I meant task manager.
Foxhound_31

Post by Foxhound_31 »

Thanks for the info, I was considering getting my hands on CPUCores as well, but I'll go for your option and give some feedback.
Shaun Mike

Post by Shaun Mike »

Foxhound_31 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:46 am Thanks for the info, I was considering getting my hands on CPUCores as well, but I'll go for your option and give some feedback.
Really this is very awesome information.
Shaun Mike

Post by Shaun Mike »

Raletia wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:28 am I know this is old, but as I got here from a google search. I thought to register so I could provide from information before anyone spends money on a program like spadekevin was talking about. Setting affinity can be done within windows task manager, if one wishes to test out pinning programs to specific cores. As well as process priority. Those have to be done manually each program run though. An open source task manager called "Process Hacker" can run in the tray and automatically apply affinity or priority settings to a program when it runs.

I hope this is useful to someone, and that I'm not being intrusive making this reply.
Have a lovely day <3

*edit: accidentally typed explorer when I meant task manager.
I'll check it.