Watchdog BSOD when uninstalling AMD

bakl

Post by bakl »

I have an AMD RX 5700XT with Windows 10 and one day it stopped working on my second monitor. My guess is that windows tried to update the driver for me and broke it. I have had driver issues before, but normally it just makes the control panel stop working as it complains about a version mismatch or something and reinstalling the driver fixes it. I go to investigate and in device manager it says something like "The driver cannot be found for this device". It is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. I think that that is weird and go to reinstall the AMD driver.

I first go to do this in the normal remove software page in control panel, but while it is uninstalling the screen goes black and the PC restarts. When it boots again the driver is uninstalled in control panel. Great! I can just install the driver again now, but when I go to install it it does the same thing. I notice that before it goes black and restarts the cursor starts to update at a low frame rate and it keeps getting lower until it goes black.

I then think that this is a job for DDU. I reboot into safe mode and run DDU in AMD gpu mode. This has the exact same result except sometimes it shows a blue screen with the error message being something like "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION". It randomly shows the blue screen and I have been unable to get a picture of the error.

In the mean time I installed an old GTX 760 and the Nvidia drivers which works fine to get both monitors working again. The same issue happens when running DDU with the Nvidia card in the system as the AMD. Any ideas as to what could be causing this blue screen? I would rather not fix it by reinstalling windows.

Sponsor

Sponsor

abruptcash

Re: Watchdog BSOD when uninstalling AMD

Post by abruptcash »

bakl wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:46 pm I have an AMD RX 5700XT with Windows 10 and one day it stopped working on my second monitor. My guess is that windows tried to update the driver for me and broke it. I have had driver issues before, but normally it just makes the control panel stop working as it complains about a version mismatch or something and reinstalling the driver fixes it. I go to investigate and in device manager it says something like "The driver cannot be found for this device". It is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. I think that that is weird and go to reinstall the AMD driver.

I first go to do this in the normal remove software page in control panel, but while it is uninstalling the screen goes black and the PC restarts. When it boots again the driver is uninstalled in control panel. Great! I can just install the driver again now, but when I go to install it it does the same thing. I notice that before it goes black and restarts the cursor starts to update at a low frame rate and it keeps getting lower until it goes black.

I then think that this is a job for DDU. I reboot into safe mode and run DDU in AMD gpu mode. This has the exact same result except sometimes it shows a blue screen with the error message being something like "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION". It randomly shows the blue screen and I have been unable to get a picture of the error.

In the mean time I installed an old GTX 760 and the Nvidia drivers which works fine to get both monitors working again. The same issue happens when running DDU with the Nvidia card in the system as the AMD. Any ideas as to what could be causing this blue screen? I would rather not fix it by reinstalling windows.
Have any updates? My old GTX 760 version had the same problem when downloading. The installation was repeatedly interrupted when the computer automatically powered off.
Farhunt

Re: Watchdog BSOD when uninstalling AMD

Post by Farhunt »

bakl wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:46 pm I have an AMD RX 5700XT with Windows 10 and one day it stopped working on my second monitor. My guess is that windows tried to update the driver for me and broke it. I have had driver issues before, but normally it just makes the control panel stop working as it complains about a version mismatch or something and reinstalling the driver fixes it. I go to investigate and in device manager it says something like "The driver cannot be found for this device". It is using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver. I think that that is weird and go to reinstall the AMD driver.

Hi. Is your BIOS up to date?