17.0.1.0 breaks windows 10 anniversary update

Exostenza

Post by Exostenza »

I have been using this for years without a single problem until I updated to the windows 10 anniversary update (x64). When trying to reboot into safe mode to do a clean my laptop hanged on the ROG (asus laptop bios logo screen) and would not boot or go into the bios. I had to take out the hard drive just to get it to boot up with a USB version of windows and then put the hard drive back in and reboot through the advanced tools and use some command prompt magic to get rid of the safemode call and the computer booted up. I tried this once more to see if it was an anomaly and the same thing happened. I then tried to clean without restarting into safemode which created the same issue when I restarted. This time, however, since there was no safemode call to wipe I had to go back to a previous version of windows just to get my computer to boot. I am now not on the anniversary edition because of this.

What is going on?

Win 10 x64
Asus G751JY
nVidia 980m

EDIT 29-Nov-16 - issue resolved: I finally got the up the courage to try DDU again on Win10 AU x64 with 17.0.3.1 and I am happy to say I no longer have the previous issue as stated in the OP. If people had the same issue as me in the past and you have your windows fully updated with the latest DDU this should no longer be a problem for you.
Last edited by Exostenza on Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: 17.0.1.0 breaks windows 10 anniversary update

Post by Wagnard »

Exostenza wrote:I have been using this for years without a single problem until I updated to the windows 10 anniversary update (x64). When trying to reboot into safe mode to do a clean my laptop hanged on the ROG (asus laptop bios logo screen) and would not boot or go into the bios. I had to take out the hard drive just to get it to boot up with a USB version of windows and then put the hard drive back in and reboot through the advanced tools and use some command prompt magic to get rid of the safemode call and the computer booted up. I tried this once more to see if it was an anomaly and the same thing happened. I then tried to clean without restarting into safemode which created the same issue when I restarted. This time, however, since there was no safemode call to wipe I had to go back to a previous version of windows just to get my computer to boot. I am now not on the anniversary edition because of this.

What is going on?

Win 10 x64
Asus G751JY
nVidia 980m
The only thing I have seen myself that is somewhat similar to your issue.
My friend (and this is without even using DDU) if he tries to go into safe mode with the anniversary update, it will (just like you) hang at the "motherboard Logo"
To work around this, we have found out that it is caused by the UEFI.
Going into the bios and setting the CSM to Enable (instead of disabled) workaround the issue.

Not sure if this is somewhat related to your problem.

As for fixing it, its not possible as its probably a Windows issue because if you try to manually go into safe mode even without DDU, you would encounter the same issue.

As for the "clean without restarting and same issue" never saw this myself or hear of it. (but maybe the same workaround work). It sound almost as if you'r system doesn't work correctly with the "Standard VGA adapter" that is used after DDU usage.

Also try to see if you have latest Bios for your laptop and try the CSM trick.
Exostenza

Post by Exostenza »

Thanks for the quick response and sorry for taking so long to respond. I went back to the previous version of Windows and really haven't wanted to get back up to date and deal with the issues again. I looked into the CSM module and I have to disable secure boot to have it work which I don't know if that is good or bad. I don't think it has to do with the default display driver because the boot sequence gets stuck before it even posts. I checked for an updated BIOS and it looks like ASUS is no longer supporting my laptop as its 2 year support cycle is over. I will get back on the anniversary update at some point again and when I do I will come back and comment in this thread for posterity.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Exostenza

Post by Exostenza »

I finally got the up the courage to try DDU again on Win10 AU x64 with 17.0.3.1 and I am happy to say I no longer have the previous issue as stated in the OP. If people had the same issue as me in the past and you have your windows fully updated with the latest DDU this should no longer be a problem for you.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Exostenza wrote:I finally got the up the courage to try DDU again on Win10 AU x64 with 17.0.3.1 and I am happy to say I no longer have the previous issue as stated in the OP. If people had the same issue as me in the past and you have your windows fully updated with the latest DDU this should no longer be a problem for you.
Thanks for your courage! ;)
Exostenza

Post by Exostenza »

Wagnard wrote:
Exostenza wrote:I finally got the up the courage to try DDU again on Win10 AU x64 with 17.0.3.1 and I am happy to say I no longer have the previous issue as stated in the OP. If people had the same issue as me in the past and you have your windows fully updated with the latest DDU this should no longer be a problem for you.
Haha, yeah me too. I was really missing DDU because I know it helps out a lot when changing between nVidia driver branches. I always have way less problems than lots of people on the forums as I have had the habit of if it is just a decimal update then I install straight over no worries, but if it is a non-decimal update (I call this a branch change and I don't know if that is right) I always used DDU and things just worked well. It was a dark time between my previous issues and now updating nVidia drivers between branches without DDU as it just felt plain wrong.

Thanks for all the hard work by the way.
IsaiahMiddleton

Post by IsaiahMiddleton »

Exostenza wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:29 pm I have been using this for years without a single problem until I updated to the windows 10 anniversary update (x64). When trying to reboot into safe mode to do a clean my laptop hanged on the ROG (asus laptop bios logo screen) and would not boot or go into the bios. I had to take out the hard drive just to get it to boot up with a USB version of windows and then put the hard drive back in and reboot through the advanced tools and use some command prompt magic to get rid of the safemode call and the computer booted up. I tried this once more to see if it was an anomaly and the same thing happened. I then tried to clean without restarting into safemode which created the same issue when I restarted. This time, however, since there was no safemode call to wipe I had to go back to a previous version of windows just to get my computer to boot. I am now not on the anniversary edition because of this.

What is going on?

Win 10 x64
Asus G751JY
nVidia 980m

EDIT 29-Nov-16 - issue resolved: I finally got the up the courage to try DDU again on Win10 AU x64 with 17.0.3.1 and I am happy to say I no longer have the previous issue as stated in the OP. If people had the same issue as me in the past and you have your windows fully updated with the latest DDU this should no longer be a problem for you.
Mostly I also face the same problem. when I updated into windows 10 the speed of my Pc became very slow.
Barrygaday

17 0 1 0 breaks windows 10 anniversary update

Post by Barrygaday »

Hi
Yes I think were having the same issue. So annoying..
Did you restore one of yours to pre-anniversary update? Is it working now?

If its working, can you please tell me how you actually did that? restore to previous update?
Thanks a lot :
lanaroady

Post by lanaroady »

JohnHall wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:31 pm
DanielRosa wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:41 am
Wagnard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:30 am
After the birth of Windows 10, it really takes a lot of courage to update Windows. You don't know what's going to happen after the update.
Haha. Another Windows 10 hater (like me.) Microsoft has lost it with Win10.
I don't care hating rates are going higher and higher but i am in love with windows 10
rakkioo7

Post by rakkioo7 »

I, at last, got the up the fearlessness to attempt DDU again on Win10 AU x64 with 17.0.3.1 and I am glad to state I no longer have the past issue as expressed in the OP. In the event that individuals had a similar issue as me before and you have your windows completely refreshed with the most recent DDU, this should never again be an issue for you.