Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.6.1 Released.

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

ChangeLog:

-Fixed: DDU getting stuck in safe mode.

SHA1: 7F957D285CB4499C086DA1C1480350996BDE1193

Recommended usage:
-The tool can be used in Normal mode but for absolute stability when using DDU, Safemode is always the best.
-Make a backup or a system restore (but it should normally be pretty safe).
-It is best to exclude the DDU folder completely from any security software to avoid issues.

Note: If you have issues for downloading the file, it could be one of your extension interfering with our hotlink protection.

Official Download Here
If you wish to help DDU, you can make a Donation.

Here is an interesting application from 1 of my partner. It is a useful tool that may help you update outdated drivers.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kot86

Re: Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.6.1 Released.

Post by Kot86 »

Hello @Wagnard,

first of all, thanks for your nice DDU Tool, i am using it for years and very happy with it.
I got a question: i just found in %systemroot% two files - "NvContainerRecovery.bat" and "NvTelemetryContainerRecovery.bat" and i do not know whether they remain after i used DDU or after new driver installation. Are they needed or safe to remove?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Kot86 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:59 pm Hello @Wagnard,

first of all, thanks for your nice DDU Tool, i am using it for years and very happy with it.
I got a question: i just found in %systemroot% two files - "NvContainerRecovery.bat" and "NvTelemetryContainerRecovery.bat" and i do not know whether they remain after i used DDU or after new driver installation. Are they needed or safe to remove?
They are safe to remove when using DDU. Not sur if it is safe to remove them after the driver is installed.
markhinds

Post by markhinds »

Well that didn't work too well. DDU advises to run it in Win7 Safe Mode, so I do (with networking). Then I try to run the previously-downloaded Nvidia driver package (378.66 Win7 64 bit for GeForce 1070), but get an uzip error. Get this error even when I download it again (from the Nvida site both times). So I figure, maybe the Nvidia driver installer doesn't work in Safe Mode, so I try to reboot Win7 "Normally". Keeps rebooting in Safe Mode. At this point considering using my pre-DDU Win7 Restore Point, but that doesn't get me anywhere with my desired Nvida driver upgrade, even if the Restore Point works cleanly ...

Posting issue to DDU website and using Linux in meantime.

MH
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

markhinds wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 pm Well that didn't work too well. DDU advises to run it in Win7 Safe Mode, so I do (with networking). Then I try to run the previously-downloaded Nvidia driver package (378.66 Win7 64 bit for GeForce 1070), but get an uzip error. Get this error even when I download it again (from the Nvida site both times). So I figure, maybe the Nvidia driver installer doesn't work in Safe Mode, so I try to reboot Win7 "Normally". Keeps rebooting in Safe Mode. At this point considering using my pre-DDU Win7 Restore Point, but that doesn't get me anywhere with my desired Nvida driver upgrade, even if the Restore Point works cleanly ...

Posting issue to DDU website and using Linux in meantime.

MH
Hi and welcome,
For your issue, if you have restored to your pre-ddu restore point and still have the error, than it means the issue was present before using DDU.

For your Safe mode, are you still stuck in this mode?
If so, there is probably something we can do for that.
Just let me know if this is still the case.
markhinds

Post by markhinds »

Hi @wagnard,

False alarm:

1) Although I ran DDU from Win7 Safe Mode, I was NOT in Safe Mode on reboot, but just in Safe Mode default resolution (not used to using Windows Safe Mode, I guess; I assumed it would revert to the previous settings).
2) The issue apparently is that the Nvidia 378.66 driver install package is corrupt. I WAS subsequently able to install their previous 378.49 package. Have posted this on Nvidia forums, and will phone them tomorrow (I'm a customer, after all ...).

Sorry for the trouble; your product apparently worked great.

Mark H.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

markhinds wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 pm Hi @wagnard,

False alarm:

1) Although I ran DDU from Win7 Safe Mode, I was NOT in Safe Mode on reboot, but just in Safe Mode default resolution (not used to using Windows Safe Mode, I guess; I assumed it would revert to the previous settings).
2) The issue apparently is that the Nvidia 378.66 driver install package is corrupt. I WAS subsequently able to install their previous 378.49 package. Have posted this on Nvidia forums, and will phone them tomorrow (I'm a customer, after all ...).

Sorry for the trouble; your product apparently worked great.

Mark H.
Thanks, glad you were able to solve the issues.
For. Your nVidia drivers, I think you can use a utility like 7-zip and unpack them manually (unless they really are corrupted)
rip057

Post by rip057 »

are you ever going to digitally sign the DDU.exe application so i dont get the "this file does not have a valid digital signature"

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

rip057 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:08 pm are you ever going to digitally sign the DDU.exe application so i dont get the "this file does not have a valid digital signature"

Yes, this is something I planned to do. Once I get time I will buy the certificate and sign it.
rip057

Post by rip057 »

thats good, its just something that malware redistributors might capitalize on. i realize that im downloading it from the website, but website takeovers have happened, etc etc, and i am more than paranoid when it comes to infosec.

thanks