GPU File detected but not deleted

Polaco97

Post by Polaco97 »

Hello,

I'm new on forums, and thanks for your software.

Recently, I had some problems with my old VGA, an HD7850. I seek everywhere for a cheap-simple solution, and found that, the main issue may be AMD drivers. So, I downloaded DDU and proceed to uninstall them (in safe mode, etc). Unfortunately, I couldn't get my VGA back to life, there were lines at screen and a bad quality image. I decided to download an AMD tool to remove drivers, and ran it. Then, at login screen on W10, I had GSOD (Grey Screen of Death). Well, there goes my VGA, I thought. But as a last shot, a tried for once again to run DDU and analyze logs. So, this part of log got my attention and curiosity:

Code: Select all

<KvP />
				<KvP>
					<Value>C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem36.inf</Value>
				</KvP>
				<KvP>
					<Key>Provider</Key>
					<Value>Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.</Value>
				</KvP>
				<KvP>
					<Key>Class</Key>
					<Value>Display</Value>
				</KvP>
				<KvP />
As you can see, it's a Display driver from AMD. The problem is, I can not find it anywhere at that specific folder, not even as hidden file. But, it's a bit interesting, because when I tried to install AMD drivers once again (before GSOD), the screen went all black and computer freeze exactly when it starts to install "Display Drivers".

So, my question is: are there ways to delete this file, or get rid of it? Or is it just a bug, since I can not find it? (I even tried to rename another file, i.e. oem35.inf, and "replace" the oem36.inf, but none message to replace files was shown)

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: GPU File detected but not deleted

Post by Wagnard »

Polaco97 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 pm Hello,

I'm new on forums, and thanks for your software.

Recently, I had some problems with my old VGA, an HD7850. I seek everywhere for a cheap-simple solution, and found that, the main issue may be AMD drivers. So, I downloaded DDU and proceed to uninstall them (in safe mode, etc). Unfortunately, I couldn't get my VGA back to life, there were lines at screen and a bad quality image. I decided to download an AMD tool to remove drivers, and ran it. Then, at login screen on W10, I had GSOD (Grey Screen of Death). Well, there goes my VGA, I thought. But as a last shot, a tried for once again to run DDU and analyze logs. So, this part of log got my attention and curiosity:

Code: Select all

<KvP />
				<KvP>
					<Value>C:\WINDOWS\inf\oem36.inf</Value>
				</KvP>
				<KvP>
					<Key>Provider</Key>
					<Value>Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.</Value>
				</KvP>
				<KvP>
					<Key>Class</Key>
					<Value>Display</Value>
				</KvP>
				<KvP />
As you can see, it's a Display driver from AMD. The problem is, I can not find it anywhere at that specific folder, not even as hidden file. But, it's a bit interesting, because when I tried to install AMD drivers once again (before GSOD), the screen went all black and computer freeze exactly when it starts to install "Display Drivers".

So, my question is: are there ways to delete this file, or get rid of it? Or is it just a bug, since I can not find it? (I even tried to rename another file, i.e. oem35.inf, and "replace" the oem36.inf, but none message to replace files was shown)
Can you send me the complete file via email? I'll check for more details.
For. Your weird display, it's a bas sign. Typically a broken card, but let's hope not
Polaco97

Post by Polaco97 »

Thanks for quick reply, I sent you the log.

One thing that may be important: the log I sent you is from a non-Safe Mode run. I ran it once again in Safe Mode, and the oem36.inf wasn't detected. Is it normal? I mean, weird to detect it in normal mode but not in Safe Mode.

I hope my card hasn't died, but if does, well, it lasted for 4 years.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Polaco97 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:15 pm Thanks for quick reply, I sent you the log.

One thing that may be important: the log I sent you is from a non-Safe Mode run. I ran it once again in Safe Mode, and the oem36.inf wasn't detected. Is it normal? I mean, weird to detect it in normal mode but not in Safe Mode.

I hope my card hasn't died, but if does, well, it lasted for 4 years.
Safe mode cleanup is better so it is quite possible it was removed there as it should.
Apart from the DDU run in normal mode, the log looks ok.
Try re-seating your card. if it's not not working, maybe it made its time.
Polaco97

Post by Polaco97 »

Thanks for your attention,

I ran the DDU once again today, and seems the oem36.inf was removed (ran it in Normal mode, to compare with previous log in Normal mode too).
I did re-seat it multiple times, but unfortunately it didn't help. I'll try again later, as the drivers may be completely removed now, and will update it with any result, either bad or good.
tileder

Post by tileder »

Thanks for that!