Forgot to unplug internet

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Well, I forgot to unplug my internet cable when using DDU - first time in ages, must have been distracted by something :)

I installed the new (standard) driver, like I always do and halfway through configuring the NVCP, Windows 10 started pushing the DCH control panel on me. I immediately knew that Windows Update had been triggered. Noes!

I rebooted, unplugged internet cable, DDU'd again, rebooted, installed standard driver, reboot, replug internet.

Is that enough to remove all DCH traces from my system and put it in a good state? I notice when I DDU now the logs mention something like

Code: Select all

<Message>NVCP DCH removed.</Message>
Even if it's not supposed to be there anymore? :s Is this just a standard log message? I searched through older logs and couldn't find it.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Forgot to unplug internet

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:30 pm Well, I forgot to unplug my internet cable when using DDU - first time in ages, must have been distracted by something :)

I installed the new (standard) driver, like I always do and halfway through configuring the NVCP, Windows 10 started pushing the DCH control panel on me. I immediately knew that Windows Update had been triggered. Noes!

I rebooted, unplugged internet cable, DDU'd again, rebooted, installed standard driver, reboot, replug internet.

Is that enough to remove all DCH traces from my system and put it in a good state? I notice when I DDU now the logs mention something like

Code: Select all

<Message>NVCP DCH removed.</Message>
Even if it's not supposed to be there anymore? :s Is this just a standard log message? I searched through older logs and couldn't find it.
Yeah it should be enough.
For the log message, it's always there if there is no error removing the DCH control panel and also if it's not found.
So you can safely ignore it.
Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Wagnard wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 am Yeah it should be enough.
For the log message, it's always there if there is no error removing the DCH control panel and also if it's not found.
I checked older logs, and they didn't have it, but if you say so :)
The Nvidia Control Panel is now also listed in my Store Apps Library (not installed though). Any way to remove it there?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:57 am
Wagnard wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 am Yeah it should be enough.
I checked older logs, and they didn't have it, but if you say so :)
The Nvidia Control Panel is now also listed in my Store Apps Library (not installed though). Any way to remove it there?
I think you can only hide it.

If you don't see the line in older logs, I suspect they were from earlier ddu version.
Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Hmm, could swear I have a log from current DDU version that didn't mention it.

Anyhow, any places I could manually check for DCH leftovers? Nvidia Control panel lists "standard", so that's good.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:23 am Hmm, could swear I have a log from current DDU version that didn't mention it.

Anyhow, any places I could manually check for DCH leftovers? Nvidia Control panel lists "standard", so that's good.
It will also only mention it in the log on a Windows 10 system. Maybe I forgot others conditions too... :roll:

As for DCH, if you can install the "standard" driver, it means most important DCH leftover were removed because you wouldn't be able to install the "standard" drivers.
Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Why is the Windows Store such an obnoxious mess? :)

Okay, I checked my log file with the tool, the only warnings I have are related to remaining folders from CUDA / NSight (which you helped me with a couple of releases ago - much thanks, works perfectly now), and an error about not being able to delete a certain .dll, but I think that's always been there. (only have logs as far back as the beginning of february, but it's there).

If you want my full log, just give a shout.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:44 am Why is the Windows Store such an obnoxious mess? :)

Okay, I checked my log file with the tool, the only warnings I have are related to remaining folders from CUDA / NSight (which you helped me with a couple of releases ago - much thanks, works perfectly now), and an error about not being able to delete a certain .dll, but I think that's always been there.

If you want my full log, just give a shout.
I don't really need it.
The reasons that the file could not be deleted is almost every time that the file was in use.
Mostly happens if not in safe mode when cleaning. But can happens sometime in safe mode too.

Edit: just looked a bit more and this could possibly be a bug as this file is not supposed to be removed. Possibly DDU get confused by the removal of "NVAPI.DLL"
Forceflow

Post by Forceflow »

Aha! Well, it's a bug that's been around for a while then :)
It's definitely a file that should not be deleted.

I always run DDU in safe mode.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Forceflow wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:51 am Aha! Well, it's a bug that's been around for a while then :)
It's definitely a file that should not be deleted.

I always run DDU in safe mode.
Will fix this for future release.