NVIDIA GPU Unrecognizable in Device Manager after use of DDU

LostProphetz

Post by LostProphetz »

Specifications
MSI GV62-8RD-200 16JF.1
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti
8GB DDR4 RAM

I recently bought a renewed MSI GV62 8RD-200 from Amazon. When I received the refurbished laptop everything was working fine I had no issues at all with the computer. I noticed that the drivers were outdated. I decided to update them including the BIOS and VBIOS / EC Firmware. I have had this laptop for less than two weeks.
I downloaded the latest BIOS: E16JFIMS.10B and latest Firmware: 16JFEMS1.105
In this order, I first updated the BIOS to the latest one available and restarted my computer. It booted to Windows and my NVIDIA GPU was still detected in Device Manager.

Next, I updated the EC Firmware and my computer restarted and NVIDIA GPU was still detected in Device Manager.

I downloaded DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller) for a clean reinstallation I ran it as Admin and pressed "Clean and Restart" while I was in Safe Mode. The program restarted my computer and booted up normally to Windows. I noticed that my NVIDIA GPU was not showing up in Device Manager anymore not even with the 'Show Hidden Devices Option'. When I go into the section of monitors it shows 1 hidden monitors one named Generic PnP monitors.

The Generic PnP Monitor device status "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer. Location: on Microsoft Basic Display Driver. The NVIDIA graphic card is soldered to the motherboard of the laptop so I do not understand this error code.
There is no Microsoft Basic Display Driver under Display Adapters in Device Managers. It only shows up under System Devices and Monitors.

WHAT IVE TRIED SO FAR:
I have used DDU to Uninstall NVIDIA DRIVERS, then restarted the computer, opened DDU to uninstall Intel UHD Drivers. I uninstalled the Intel Chipset Driver then restarted PC. - DID NOT WORK

Reinstalled Chipset First, Then Intel Drivers hoping for Second Microsoft Display Adapter to show but it hasn't. NVIDIA Drivers cannot be installed because GPU is not detected by OS.

I did factory reset / clean installation of Windows using the USB Media Creation Tool (Thumb drive method) NVIDIA GPU still was not detected in Device Manager.
This laptop is for my brother who is going away for college soon. I am trying to fix this issue before he leaves. I have also run into this problem with my own MSI GE62VR Laptop but I was able to fix it a couple of years ago by holding down the EC button on the laptop for 30 seconds. I have tried this on the GV62 and it did not work.

I have reset my BIOS settings to Default
I have held down the Power Button on my Laptop for 45- 60 seconds to completely reset the BIOS.
I have opened the laptop and removed the battery for 30 seconds - 60 seconds. Reassembled the back case and rebooted still nothing.
I have held down EC button for 30 seconds -Not working.

Any solutions?

Here are my DDU Logs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: NVIDIA GPU Unrecognizable in Device Manager after use of DDU

Post by Wagnard »

LostProphetz wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:08 pm Specifications
MSI GV62-8RD-200 16JF.1
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti
8GB DDR4 RAM

I recently bought a renewed MSI GV62 8RD-200 from Amazon. When I received the refurbished laptop everything was working fine I had no issues at all with the computer. I noticed that the drivers were outdated. I decided to update them including the BIOS and VBIOS / EC Firmware. I have had this laptop for less than two weeks.
I downloaded the latest BIOS: E16JFIMS.10B and latest Firmware: 16JFEMS1.105
In this order, I first updated the BIOS to the latest one available and restarted my computer. It booted to Windows and my NVIDIA GPU was still detected in Device Manager.

Next, I updated the EC Firmware and my computer restarted and NVIDIA GPU was still detected in Device Manager.

I downloaded DDU ( Display Driver Uninstaller) for a clean reinstallation I ran it as Admin and pressed "Clean and Restart" while I was in Safe Mode. The program restarted my computer and booted up normally to Windows. I noticed that my NVIDIA GPU was not showing up in Device Manager anymore not even with the 'Show Hidden Devices Option'. When I go into the section of monitors it shows 1 hidden monitors one named Generic PnP monitors.

The Generic PnP Monitor device status "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer. Location: on Microsoft Basic Display Driver. The NVIDIA graphic card is soldered to the motherboard of the laptop so I do not understand this error code.
There is no Microsoft Basic Display Driver under Display Adapters in Device Managers. It only shows up under System Devices and Monitors.

WHAT IVE TRIED SO FAR:
I have used DDU to Uninstall NVIDIA DRIVERS, then restarted the computer, opened DDU to uninstall Intel UHD Drivers. I uninstalled the Intel Chipset Driver then restarted PC. - DID NOT WORK

Reinstalled Chipset First, Then Intel Drivers hoping for Second Microsoft Display Adapter to show but it hasn't. NVIDIA Drivers cannot be installed because GPU is not detected by OS.

I did factory reset / clean installation of Windows using the USB Media Creation Tool (Thumb drive method) NVIDIA GPU still was not detected in Device Manager.
This laptop is for my brother who is going away for college soon. I am trying to fix this issue before he leaves. I have also run into this problem with my own MSI GE62VR Laptop but I was able to fix it a couple of years ago by holding down the EC button on the laptop for 30 seconds. I have tried this on the GV62 and it did not work.

I have reset my BIOS settings to Default
I have held down the Power Button on my Laptop for 45- 60 seconds to completely reset the BIOS.
I have opened the laptop and removed the battery for 30 seconds - 60 seconds. Reassembled the back case and rebooted still nothing.
I have held down EC button for 30 seconds -Not working.

Any solutions?

Here are my DDU Logs
Hi,
Check in the bios if there is an option to use the Discrete gpu by default.
Also check if there is not a button/ switch on you computer to enable the dgpu.

Also, give me a screenshot of what is inside "others device" in device manager and the system Device too.
LostProphetz

Post by LostProphetz »

My laptop has a limited BIOS where you cannot even see any GPU options. I looked on the MSI Reddit Page and found out how to unlock the BIOS settings and view all the settings. The laptop does not have any options to use Discrete GPU by default. On the default setting it is setup as "SG" (Switchable Graphics) which is required for NVIDIA Optimus. If I change the options to my Dedicated GPU which would be PEG or PCI then my screen goes completely blank and I cannot see anything on the laptop's display. There is no physical button on the computer that allows me to enable/disable the dGPU. That is only on higher end MSI laptops I believe.

Screenshot of Device Manager and BIOS :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

When you switch to peg or pci, check if you have a display when you connect via hdmi. Usually the hdmi is connected directly on the NVIDIA card.
So try to power on the laptop with an HDMI tv or monitor connected to it.

DDU only work on files & registry stuff, you could try completely reinstall windows. If it's not working then there is probably something wrong on the hardware. I guess Msi could help directly here, maybe three is something we must do that we don't know.

Kinda the reason I personally never buy refurbished stuff if the hardware is at fault.
Wishing you luck man.