Generic PnP Monitor driver broken after DDU uninstall

FluxZA

Post by FluxZA »

Hi

I have used DDU many times, and this is the first time ever experiencing this issue.

I uninstalled the Intel and Nvidia drivers on an Asus Zenbook (UX430UNR) with the remove monitors option selected. After installing the updated drivers for both Intel and Nvidia, I noticed that I could no longer adjust the display brightness. After trying to reinstall the display drivers multiple times (using different versions) I found that the issue was that Windows no longer recognized any monitor (built in or external) as being compatible with the "Generic PnP Monitor" driver.

I was able to reinstall the driver eventually by manually selecting the backup version found under System32/DriverStore/Filerepository. If anyone else is trying to do this, you need to disable digital driver signing for the install. When trying to carry out the same steps using the main driver found under Windows/Inf the system said that no compatible driver was found.

I am posting here to let you know that there may be a bug with the new version, and if so, to provide a solution that I found.

Logs for the original DDU uninstall are attached.
2022-03-20__16-40-05_DDULog.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Generic PnP Monitor driver broken after DDU uninstall

Post by Wagnard »

FluxZA wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:49 am Hi

I have used DDU many times, and this is the first time ever experiencing this issue.

I uninstalled the Intel and Nvidia drivers on an Asus Zenbook (UX430UNR) with the remove monitors option selected. After installing the updated drivers for both Intel and Nvidia, I noticed that I could no longer adjust the display brightness. After trying to reinstall the display drivers multiple times (using different versions) I found that the issue was that Windows no longer recognized any monitor (built in or external) as being compatible with the "Generic PnP Monitor" driver.

I was able to reinstall the driver eventually by manually selecting the backup version found under System32/DriverStore/Filerepository. If anyone else is trying to do this, you need to disable digital driver signing for the install. When trying to carry out the same steps using the main driver found under Windows/Inf the system said that no compatible driver was found.

I am posting here to let you know that there may be a bug with the new version, and if so, to provide a solution that I found.

Thanks for reporting, we will look into this to see if this is a DDU thing or a Windows thing.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Wagnard wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:09 am
FluxZA wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:49 am Hi

Thanks for reporting, we will look into this to see if this is a DDU thing or a Windows thing.
From what we saw from the logs, it seems you have a path problem somewhere on your side as even DDU was not able to do all that it wanted with the driver store.
FluxZA

Post by FluxZA »

Wagnard wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:18 am From what we saw from the logs, it seems you have a path problem somewhere on your side as even DDU was not able to do all that it wanted with the driver store.
Thank you very much for the fast response. I understand this is not your responsibility, but would you mind helping by letting me know which path was not working correctly? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

FluxZA wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:11 am
Wagnard wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:18 am From what we saw from the logs, it seems you have a path problem somewhere on your side as even DDU was not able to do all that it wanted with the driver store.
Thank you very much for the fast response. I understand this is not your responsibility, but would you mind helping by letting me know which path was not working correctly? Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
It's hard to say for sure, the logs are showing that when DDU attempted to remove a driver store item (oemxx.inf) windows throw a WIN32 exception with a path not found.
This is unusual. Either the path in theses OEM's really doesn't exist or there could be a permission issues to theses paths or something on the registry where this path is defined is wrong.
But sadly, the missing path is not written.
It's not something necessary easy to find.
If I were to take a guess, I would look at the driver store folders (usually located in the system32 folder).

Depending of the impact this has for you, you should consider to refresh your windows installation.

You can easily check the log file yourself with DDU. In the log tab, you can open your log.xml and select the options to only show errors, you will see the path error and the OEM's giving theses errors.
FluxZA

Post by FluxZA »

Wagnard wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:45 am It's hard to say for sure, the logs are showing that when DDU attempted to remove a driver store item (oemxx.inf) windows throw a WIN32 exception with a path not found.
This is unusual. Either the path in theses OEM's really doesn't exist or there could be a permission issues to theses paths or something on the registry where this path is defined is wrong.
But sadly, the missing path is not written.
It's not something necessary easy to find.
If I were to take a guess, I would look at the driver store folders (usually located in the system32 folder).

Depending of the impact this has for you, you should consider to refresh your windows installation.

You can easily check the log file yourself with DDU. In the log tab, you can open your log.xml and select the options to only show errors, you will see the path error and the OEM's giving theses errors.
Thanks for the info, it will be very helpful as a starting point to try and fix the error. Have a great day.