[1.0.2.x] Issue purging SBL with exclusion list

vmech

Re: [1.0.2.x] Issue purging SBL with exclusion list

Post by vmech »

Wagnard wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:18 am
vmech wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:17 am
Wagnard wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 am I'll investigate more than, maybe there is another bug somewhere.
Just so I can repro appropriately on my end, how many items you have in the exclusion list ?
One - vmplayer.exe.
It may be worth noting that between last usage of vmplayer.exe and the discovery of a ISLC dysfunction, the computer was in sleep mode. Normal sleep, not hibernation (hybrid sleep is also disabled).
Interesting, this may be a clue.
Thanks

Edit: Do you remember if vmplayer.exe was open when the computer went to sleep ?
Of course not - there's no need for that. I closed vmplayer myself and put computer to sleep.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

vmech wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:14 am
Wagnard wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:18 am
vmech wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:17 am

One - vmplayer.exe.
It may be worth noting that between last usage of vmplayer.exe and the discovery of a ISLC dysfunction, the computer was in sleep mode. Normal sleep, not hibernation (hybrid sleep is also disabled).
Interesting, this may be a clue.
Thanks

Edit: Do you remember if vmplayer.exe was open when the computer went to sleep ?
Of course not - there's no need for that. I closed vmplayer myself and put computer to sleep.
I think I fixed a potential race condition.
If you can give this version a shot I would appreciate :
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ISLC/ISLC%20v1.0.2.8.exe
vmech

Post by vmech »

Wagnard wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:12 pm I think I fixed a potential race condition.
If you can give this version a shot I would appreciate :
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/ISLC/ISLC%20v1.0.2.8.exe
Downloaded, launched, I will observe and report on results later.
vmech

Post by vmech »

I check 1.0.2.8 now. Answer: negative.

I launch vmplayer, do necessary things, check the RAM conditions - 0 Mbytes RAM free with some Mbytes SBL, close vmplayer - huge chunk of RAM was freed, and start copying big file from one hard drive to another. Conditions quickly reach those necessary for triggering, but ISLC just ignore them, as 1.0.2.6 version did.
Last edited by vmech on Thu May 19, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

vmech wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:38 pm I check 1.0.2.8 now. Answer: negative.

I launch vmplayer, do necessary things, check the RAM conditions - 0 Mbytes RAM free with some Mbytes SBL, close vmplayer - huge chunk of RAM was freed, and start copying big file from one hard drive to another. ISLC just ignore triggered conditions, as 1.0.2.6 version did.
Damm, I'll guess I'll have to install vmplayer here as I cant repro.
vmech

Post by vmech »

Wagnard wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:41 pm

I launch vmplayer, do necessary things, check the RAM conditions - 0 Mbytes RAM free with some Mbytes SBL, close vmplayer - huge chunk of RAM was freed, and start copying big file from one hard drive to another. ISLC just ignore triggered conditions, as 1.0.2.6 version did.
I don't think it's vmplayer that's the issue. The first misfunction in working with exclusion list (in 1.0.2.6) I found when the video game process was added to list. It's just that there's no time to play right now - there's a bit of urgent work to do, and virtual machine also requires a lot of RAM. Ideally, I would add all the necessary processes to exclusion list, but just decided to be more consistent so I checked one process at a time.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

vmech wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:52 pm
Wagnard wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:41 pm

I don't think it's vmplayer that's the issue. The first misfunction in working with exclusion list (in 1.0.2.6) I found when the video game process was added to list. It's just that there's no time to play right now - there's a bit of urgent work to do, and virtual machine also requires a lot of RAM. Ideally, I would add all the necessary processes to exclusion list, but just decided to be more consistent so I checked one process at a time.
I can't seem to repro atm on my end. Note that ISLC subscribe to WMI event to check for processes. Maybe it is acting up on your system.
I could try to add some logs to ISLC or error message if something is going wrong so we could have a little more details in the future.
vmech

Post by vmech »

Wagnard wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm I can't seem to repro atm on my end. Note that ISLC subscribe to WMI event to check for processes. Maybe it is acting up on your system.
Hmm. I didn't use WMI earlier. Idk anything about WMI subscriptions.
Wagnard wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm I could try to add some logs to ISLC or error message if something is going wrong so we could have a little more details in the future.
Yep. I think logs will not be useless. More events in logs the better.

PS. I think I just noticed another feature in ISLC work - RAM monitoring stops working if trigger on exception list is fired and until trigger will be cleared ?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

vmech wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:08 pm
Wagnard wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm I can't seem to repro atm on my end. Note that ISLC subscribe to WMI event to check for processes. Maybe it is acting up on your system.
Hmm. I didn't use WMI earlier. Idk anything about WMI subscriptions.
Wagnard wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 pm I could try to add some logs to ISLC or error message if something is going wrong so we could have a little more details in the future.

PS. I think I just noticed another feature in ISLC work - RAM monitoring stops working if trigger on exception list is fired and until trigger will be cleared ?
Maybe that's the issue, really check if it's seem to be the ram monitoring that is stuck.
vmech

Post by vmech »

vmech wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:08 pm
Preferably, we need to know that ISLC receives a WMI event that the triggered process has been closed.