Getting an error at Cleaning known Regkeys step

Hamed

Post by Hamed »

Hello,

I've upgraded to Windows 10 21H2 x64 a few weeks ago and I was having some problems with my GPU driver. So I decided to uninstall it and start fresh using DDU as it almost always fixed the problems with my GPU driver.
I've booted Windows into safe mode (without network connection), ran DDU, and for the first time ever, I get an error message asking me to report to dev. I have the log files and I've tried to uninstall my display driver using the latest version v18.0.5.4 and two older versions ( v18.0.4.9 - v18.0.4.3 ) and still got the same error.

I couldn't find a way to report the error directly to the dev. Sorry if I'm posting about it in the wrong place.

I've posted a thread about it at guru 3d forums: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/sapph ... st-6047679

and here's when things go wrong according to the log files:

Code: Select all

<Event>
			<Time>9/3/2022 3:36:33 PM</Time>
			<Message>Cleaning known Regkeys</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Message>Starting dcom/clsid/appid/typelib cleanup</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Message>Begin ClassRoot CleanUP</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Message>End ClassRoot CleanUP</Message>
		</Event>
		<Error>
			<Message>Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070570)</Message>
			<ExceptionData>
				<Message>Could not load file or assembly 'System.Runtime.WindowsRuntime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070570)</Message>
				<TargetSite>RemoveAppx1809</TargetSite>
				<Source>Display Driver Uninstaller</Source>
				<StackTrace>   at Display_Driver_Uninstaller.CleanupEngine.RemoveAppx1809(String AppxToRemove)
   at Display_Driver_Uninstaller.GPUCleanup.Cleanamd(ThreadSettings config) in C:\Users\ghisl\OneDrive\Documents\Programmation\wpf\display-drivers-uninstaller\display-driver-uninstaller\Display Driver Uninstaller\GPUCleanup.vb:line 876
   at Display_Driver_Uninstaller.GPUCleanup.Start(ThreadSettings config) in C:\Users\ghisl\OneDrive\Documents\Programmation\wpf\display-drivers-uninstaller\display-driver-uninstaller\Display Driver Uninstaller\GPUCleanup.vb:line 734
   at Display_Driver_Uninstaller.frmMain.CleaningThread_Work(ThreadSettings config) in C:\Users\ghisl\OneDrive\Documents\Programmation\wpf\display-drivers-uninstaller\display-driver-uninstaller\Display Driver Uninstaller\frmMain.xaml.vb:line 448</StackTrace>
			</ExceptionData>
		</Error>
		<Event>
			<Time>9/3/2022 3:37:39 PM</Time>
			<Message>Reverting the Impersonalisation is successful !</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Time>9/3/2022 3:37:39 PM</Time>
			<Message>Clean uninstall completed!
&gt;&gt; GPU: AMD</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Time>9/3/2022 3:37:41 PM</Time>
			<Message>&gt;&gt; Successfully saved log to file!</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Message>Scanning for new devices...</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Message>ReScan of devices successfully completed!</Message>
		</Event>
		<Event>
			<Message>&gt;&gt; Successfully saved log to file!</Message>
		</Event>
	</LogEntries>
</DisplayDriverUninstaller>

I've been using DDU years, wanted to say thank you as well.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Getting an error at Cleaning known Regkeys step

Post by Wagnard »

Thanks for the report, I'll check this.

Edit: it seem you have problems with your .Net installation, the error is whining about a missing assembly or have problem accessing it.

As a work around to get DDU finish its job and bypassing this step, you can untick the options (within the DDU options menu) the removal of DCH stuff for AMD. (the control panel)

But ultimately, you have to either fix your. NET or refresh your window as other app could be affected by this.
Hamed

Post by Hamed »

Initially I didn't want to reinstall Windows, but yesterday I got furious over another Windows error that I "install-repaired" it. Basically installed the latest version of Windows over the existing one without losing any settings and personal files. Booted back into safe mode and the problem was gone.
I'll keep your suggestion in mind in case I would come across this error again.

Thank you so much!
karlrandall

Post by karlrandall »

Great information, thanks for sharing!