AMD550RX install, diagonal lines on display, wondering if DDU has removed something I'm not aware of

nuwanda

AMD550RX install, diagonal lines on display, wondering if DDU has removed something I'm not aware of

Post by nuwanda »

Older machine, Windows 10 Pro, decided to upgrade from integrated Intel graphics on an i5-2500 (running on a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 board) to a new AMD 550 RX 2GB (OEM) card. Machine has always been rock solid for business use with a lovely sharp image on the Dell U2412M 24" monitor running at its native 1920x1200@60hz.

I used DDU to clean out the previous driver, shutdown, installed the new card and restarted. Installed AMD Adrenalin with the latest driver, rebooted, and noticed the display was not quite right. Thought it was only a font issue. But no, the entire display has fine diagonal lines through it.

See the problem here (click images for 100% view):

https://imgur.com/a/krBE38C

In the first image notice the black lines on the truck are jagged, as is the green line on the man's shirt. Second image has very jagged text above ferry video. On the Display image and the calculator image the letters and numbers are wrecked by diagonal lines running top left to bottom right. Smaller/finer text/imagery is almost illegible in some parts of all images, in the Karate Kid graphic, for example..

Initial thoughts were that the card was bad or not seated properly. I removed the card, made sure the slot and connectors were clean and sound, reinstalled. Same issue.

Next I removed the card and re-enabled onboard graphics. Same issue. This was my first clue that it wasn't the new card since the Intel onboard graphics had worked flawlessly for years.

Had my monitor suddenly crapped out at the same time as I installed the new card? Well, I took screenshots (the images above) and viewed them on another machine. They were the same and since a screenshot is not actually of the screen (monitor) but of the video output, it confirmed it was not the monitor. I also attached another DVI cable to the monitor to confirm.

So, it's not the monitor. Or the new AMD card. Or the onboard graphics. But I did use DDU to clean up drivers, etc. and I'm wondering is it's deleted something I'm not aware of that could be causing this issue at a more basic level.

To that point, Windows drivers are all current and show no conflicts or warnings.

I'm really at a loss and I'm hoping someone can give me a clue.

Sponsor

Sponsor

rendybramz

Re: AMD550RX install, diagonal lines on display, wondering if DDU has removed something I'm not aware of

Post by rendybramz »

nuwanda wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:13 pm Older machine, Windows 10 Pro, decided to upgrade from integrated Intel graphics on an i5-2500 (running on a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 board) to a new AMD 550 RX 2GB (OEM) card. Machine has always been rock solid for business use with a lovely sharp image on the Dell U2412M 24" monitor running at its native 1920x1200@60hz.

I used DDU to clean out the previous driver, shutdown, installed the new card and restarted. Installed AMD Adrenalin with the latest driver, rebooted, and noticed the display was not quite right. Thought it was only a font issue. But no, the entire display has fine diagonal lines through it.

See the problem here (click images for 100% view):

https://imgur.com/a/krBE38C

In the first image notice the black lines on the truck are jagged, as is the green line on the man's shirt. Second image has very jagged text above ferry video. On the Display image and the calculator image the letters and numbers are wrecked by diagonal lines running top left to bottom right. Smaller/finer text/imagery is almost illegible in some parts of all images, in the Karate Kid graphic, for example..

Initial thoughts were that the card was bad or not seated properly. I removed the card, made sure the slot and connectors were clean and sound, reinstalled. Same issue.

Next I removed the card and re-enabled onboard graphics. Same issue. This was my first clue that it wasn't the new card since the Intel onboard graphics had worked flawlessly for years.

Had my monitor suddenly crapped out at the same time as I installed the new card? Well, I took screenshots (the images above) and viewed them on another machine. They were the same and since a screenshot is not actually of the screen (monitor) but of the video output, it confirmed it was not the monitor. I also attached another DVI cable to the monitor to confirm.

So, it's not the monitor. Or the new AMD card. Or the onboard graphics. But I did use DDU to clean up drivers, etc. and I'm wondering is it's deleted something I'm not aware of that could be causing this issue at a more basic level.

To that point, Windows drivers are all current and show no conflicts or warnings.

I'm really at a loss and I'm hoping someone can give me a clue.
i got the same issue, did you fix your problem?
nuwanda

Re: AMD550RX install, diagonal lines on display, wondering if DDU has removed something I'm not aware of

Post by nuwanda »

No, but it's nice to know I'm not alone.

What are the differences in your situation with mine? Same card?

At this stage it looks like DDU (or some install-related glitch) has changed some Windows setting that doesn't seem to be at all obvious. My system is as up to date as it can be.

A full reinstall of Windows seems like overkill at this stage but is looking like the ultimate solution if the problem is not solved otherwise.