Help, Problem With 3080 & 2080 After Using DDU....

Sithtiger

Post by Sithtiger »

Hi, just bought a 3080, used DDU to clear the drivers from my 2080. I have a screenshot of DDU after several attempts of trying to get the 3080 to work. I thought it was bad, so installed my 2080 only to find it suddenly having the same problems. I took a screen shot in safe mode showing it detected two GPUs. How do I get rid of both and just start over, short of formatting, which I see no reason why I should. It's a new install, only since May when I upgraded. System specs below and the https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VB8GPg ... sp=sharing and link to the log file. Image
I've never had a problem like this before. Can someone tell me how to wipe all mention of any GPUs from the system? That' what DDU is supposed to do. I don't understand why it didn't work and why it's showing two GPUs. I'm guessing that's why I'm getting poor gameplay. Tell me what I need to do please, I'd really appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance.

System Specs
AMD Ryzen 5900x Stock W / Noctua NH-U12S / ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO Mobo / G.Skill Ripjaws V Series RAM 16GB DDR4 3200 / MSI RTX 2080 Ventus 8G / Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME / Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX100 256GB SSD / Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB/ WD 1TB Black WD1001FALS HD / LG Blu-Ray Burner WH16NS40 / Corsair HX850 Modular PSU / Windows 10 Home x64 / LG 27GL650F-B 144Hz GSync Compatible @ 1080p / Cooler Master HAF 912 

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Help, Problem With 3080 & 2080 After Using DDU....

Post by Wagnard »

Sithtiger wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:12 am Hi, just bought a 3080, used DDU to clear the drivers from my 2080. I have a screenshot of DDU after several attempts of trying to get the 3080 to work. I thought it was bad, so installed my 2080 only to find it suddenly having the same problems. I took a screen shot in safe mode showing it detected two GPUs. How do I get rid of both and just start over, short of formatting, which I see no reason why I should. It's a new install, only since May when I upgraded. System specs below and the https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VB8GPg ... sp=sharing and link to the log file. Image
I've never had a problem like this before. Can someone tell me how to wipe all mention of any GPUs from the system? That' what DDU is supposed to do. I don't understand why it didn't work and why it's showing two GPUs. I'm guessing that's why I'm getting poor gameplay. Tell me what I need to do please, I'd really appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance.

System Specs
AMD Ryzen 5900x Stock W / Noctua NH-U12S / ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO Mobo / G.Skill Ripjaws V Series RAM 16GB DDR4 3200 / MSI RTX 2080 Ventus 8G / Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME / Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX100 256GB SSD / Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB/ WD 1TB Black WD1001FALS HD / LG Blu-Ray Burner WH16NS40 / Corsair HX850 Modular PSU / Windows 10 Home x64 / LG 27GL650F-B 144Hz GSync Compatible @ 1080p / Cooler Master HAF 912 
Hi,
I have looked at the logs.
1- You have an old version of DDU you should update to current (18.0.4.2)
2- If you really want to remove everything Nvidia related, check the DDU options and tick everything for Nvidia.
3- The log show that both card were removed. if DDU was still listing 2 card when you were back in windows than its probably windows update that has added the entry. Do not worry about your system performance even if 2 cards are listed. Windows is using only 1 (if you have only 1 physically installed) the other is a driver stored in the driver store. It shouldn't impact anything.

To prevent windows update doing its things, there is an option within the DDU option to help prevent doing drivers from windows update, you may try that. It is recommended to set this setting back to normal after everything (cleaning / installing your new driver) is completed.
Sithtiger

Post by Sithtiger »

Thanks, I originally updated DDU to the newest v. 18.0.4.2. I only went to an older version because it didn't work the first time. I had no problems with any games with my 2080. The only other thing I did was I had to move my SATA HDD's and one SSD. Windows is on C:, which is an M.2 NVME drive, so it wasn't moved. When I reattached the drives, I used the same existing cables, but in different order than I originally had them plugged in as, but that shouldn't make any difference since I had no IDE, no Master/Slave situation. When I booted the PC back up, everything was where it should be, with no icons out of place or missing .ico image files missing (icon images for said icons), it was fine. YT, Netflix, all the other stuff runs just fine, it's just the games that aren't running correctly.

The last Windows update I had was on 8.12.21. The updates I received were KB5005033 (includes Flash removal package) and KB4023057 Update for Windows 10 Update Service components. I've played some games, FPS games where I notice it the most. Battlefield 1 for example or Borderlands 3.

Maybe the service update screwed things up, but if that's true, why was I able to play those games just fine the day before (literally), and then I used DDU to remove all Nvidia-related drivers. I even tried moving one of those games to an SSD, had no effect. It was working fine on an older mechanical HDD.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Sithtiger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:24 pm Thanks, I originally updated DDU to the newest v. 18.0.4.2. I only went to an older version because it didn't work the first time. I had no problems with any games with my 2080. The only other thing I did was I had to move my SATA HDD's and one SSD. Windows is on C:, which is an M.2 NVME drive, so it wasn't moved. When I reattached the drives, I used the same existing cables, but in different order than I originally had them plugged in as, but that shouldn't make any difference since I had no IDE, no Master/Slave situation. When I booted the PC back up, everything was where it should be, with no icons out of place or missing .ico image files missing (icon images for said icons), it was fine. YT, Netflix, all the other stuff runs just fine, it's just the games that aren't running correctly.

The last Windows update I had was on 8.12.21. The updates I received were KB5005033 (includes Flash removal package) and KB4023057 Update for Windows 10 Update Service components. I've played some games, FPS games where I notice it the most. Battlefield 1 for example or Borderlands 3.

Maybe the service update screwed things up, but if that's true, why was I able to play those games just fine the day before (literally), and then I used DDU to remove all Nvidia-related drivers. I even tried moving one of those games to an SSD, had no effect. It was working fine on an older mechanical HDD.
To what degree you have lost performance ? are we talking 5 fps less ? or it is just the general feeling in *some* games?
Personally I would say the performance lost is either the new driver itself or the KB you installed recently.
The driver installed by device manager via windows dont get listed under the windows update history. SO you cant see them there.
Also be sure to run DDU with the options I mentioned earlier. Old stuff not removed could interfere.
The best way to clean is to go into safe mode, disconnect the internet, run DDU with all Nvidia options ticked, then once back into windows, still with the internet disconnected, install the new driver. When everything is installed, you can enable back the internet. Then check on DDU again for the number of GPU listed.
You could also send me the new DDU log for that cleanup with all the Nvidia option ticked. Ill tell you if the logs look normal.
Sithtiger

Post by Sithtiger »

Wagnard wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:59 am
Sithtiger wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:24 pm Thanks, I originally updated DDU to the newest v. 18.0.4.2. I only went to an older version because it didn't work the first time. I had no problems with any games with my 2080. The only other thing I did was I had to move my SATA HDD's and one SSD. Windows is on C:, which is an M.2 NVME drive, so it wasn't moved. When I reattached the drives, I used the same existing cables, but in different order than I originally had them plugged in as, but that shouldn't make any difference since I had no IDE, no Master/Slave situation. When I booted the PC back up, everything was where it should be, with no icons out of place or missing .ico image files missing (icon images for said icons), it was fine. YT, Netflix, all the other stuff runs just fine, it's just the games that aren't running correctly.

To what degree you have lost performance ? are we talking 5 fps less ? or it is just the general feeling in *some* games?
Personally I would say the performance lost is either the new driver itself or the KB you installed recently.
The driver installed by device manager via windows dont get listed under the windows update history. SO you cant see them there.
Also be sure to run DDU with the options I mentioned earlier. Old stuff not removed could interfere.
The best way to clean is to go into safe mode, disconnect the internet, run DDU with all Nvidia options ticked, then once back into windows, still with the internet disconnected, install the new driver. When everything is installed, you can enable back the internet. Then check on DDU again for the number of GPU listed.
You could also send me the new DDU log for that cleanup with all the Nvidia option ticked. Ill tell you if the logs look normal.
With the 2080, around 30 to 40 FPS+. It's difficult to tell exactly because I wasn't looking at framerates prior to this, but when I was testing my 2080 at the time, it was around that. I'm also basing that figure from gpucheck.com.
Here are my system specs: AMD Ryzen 5900x Stock W / Noctua NH-U12S / ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO Mobo / G.Skill Ripjaws V Series RAM 16GB DDR4 3200 / MSI RTX 2080 Ventus 8G / Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME / Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX100 256GB SSD / Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB/ WD 1TB Black WD1001FALS HD / LG Blu-Ray Burner WH16NS40 / Corsair HX850 Modular PSU / Windows 10 Home x64 / LG 27GL650F-B 144Hz GSync Compatible @ 1080p.

Combine frame drops with stuttering and microstuttering and games are unplayable. Yes, that's how I would use DDU, always in safe mode with no internet connection. Windows was not installing drivers. I'm done messing around, I'm gonna format and reinstall to my disdain. I have schoolwork do, trying to become a CCNA to start out with and this is slowing me down. I did manage to get the 3080 not showing up, but that didn't seem to matter. I don't know what's going on. I've never seen this before. I'm going to switch to the 3080 and see what happens with a fresh install. Like I said, I reconnected all my drives, HDD's and SSD's because I had to move them because of the massiveness of the 3080 and reconnected them with the same cables but in a different order. That shouldn't matter, but maybe something got corrupted, not sure how, maybe a Windows update. It just doesn't make sense. What makes the least amount of sense is when I put my GPU back in, it then was having the same problems as the 3080 was having ?!?!?!??? Of course I used DDU again and that didn't help. This is the only way to make sure everything is fresh!

I'll report back if everything is fine. In a normal world, this should work. I've been working on computers for 30 years and Iv'e never seen anything like this. What I mean is, I installed nothing new, save the drivers and a newer version of DDU before I put the new GPU in, Before that, a couple Windows updates were installed. I was playing some games the prior day after those Windows updates were installed and I had no issues, so I don't see how they could cause an issue. Anyway, let's get this over with.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Sithtiger wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:56 pm
Wagnard wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:59 am

With the 2080, around 30 to 40 FPS+. It's difficult to tell exactly because I wasn't looking at framerates prior to this, but when I was testing my 2080 at the time, it was around that. I'm also basing that figure from gpucheck.com.
Here are my system specs: AMD Ryzen 5900x Stock W / Noctua NH-U12S / ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO Mobo / G.Skill Ripjaws V Series RAM 16GB DDR4 3200 / MSI RTX 2080 Ventus 8G / Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME / Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX100 256GB SSD / Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB/ WD 1TB Black WD1001FALS HD / LG Blu-Ray Burner WH16NS40 / Corsair HX850 Modular PSU / Windows 10 Home x64 / LG 27GL650F-B 144Hz GSync Compatible @ 1080p.

Combine frame drops with stuttering and microstuttering and games are unplayable. Yes, that's how I would use DDU, always in safe mode with no internet connection. Windows was not installing drivers. I'm done messing around, I'm gonna format and reinstall to my disdain. I have schoolwork do, trying to become a CCNA to start out with and this is slowing me down. I did manage to get the 3080 not showing up, but that didn't seem to matter. I don't know what's going on. I've never seen this before. I'm going to switch to the 3080 and see what happens with a fresh install. Like I said, I reconnected all my drives, HDD's and SSD's because I had to move them because of the massiveness of the 3080 and reconnected them with the same cables but in a different order. That shouldn't matter, but maybe something got corrupted, not sure how, maybe a Windows update. It just doesn't make sense. What makes the least amount of sense is when I put my GPU back in, it then was having the same problems as the 3080 was having ?!?!?!??? Of course I used DDU again and that didn't help. This is the only way to make sure everything is fresh!

I'll report back if everything is fine. In a normal world, this should work. I've been working on computers for 30 years and Iv'e never seen anything like this. What I mean is, I installed nothing new, save the drivers and a newer version of DDU before I put the new GPU in, Before that, a couple Windows updates were installed. I was playing some games the prior day after those Windows updates were installed and I had no issues, so I don't see how they could cause an issue. Anyway, let's get this over with.
Wishing you luck with the re-install that it fix your issue, if not , than it's 100% sure it is not a DDU issue and it's probably when you moved the hardware around in your case that something happened.
Sithtiger

Post by Sithtiger »

Wanted to thank everyone for their help. Everything works fine now. I ended up reformatting. Everything is fine with the 3080 too. So far, it's a great GPU, and it's performing above expectations. The initial problems I was having with it seeing two GPUs were taken care of after using DDU again, actually. Most of the other issues fell into place after that was corrected, but I had changed and tweaked so many things, registry settings, services that I might as well reformat. Why didn't you back up? I did actually but didn't have a redundant backup like I usually do. I usually have a system restore backup followed by an actual Windows Restore disc, via DVD, but because I had just built this back at the end of March, the ONE time I did NOT make a DVD backup is when I needed it the most. My restore point didn't fail, it was overwritten because I didn't readjust the disk space usage, so that's on me. This year hasn't been so great, however, I think maybe a couple of people can relate :|.

So, all games, save my Battlefield games work great. I don't know if I mentioned this before or not, but I did find a fix for the BF games and that was simply to enable V-sync. I have an LG 1080p 144Hz monitor, so the 3080 can easily. I don't know if that will work with Battlefield 2042, but I think it will because of the specs, I believe I can turn everything up to 11 on the video/advanced settings and it will hopefully run smooth as butter.

I do remember having issues with my 2080 with Frostbite engine-based games, at least FPS, especially Battlefield. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, it worked itself out and I don't recall it was something I did to fix it. I believe it's a driver issue. It's just weird that even the 2080 had issues after I fixed the 3080's issues. I haven't tried it with the 2080 since the format. There is one other game that I can think of that had problems with the 2080 and 3080 and that was Metro: Exodus, but that too was corrected with enabling V-sync. Again, 90% of my games run perfectly now with the 3080.

Oh, and I emailed Gigabyte and asked about the condition in which I received my GPU, that is no tape on the box itself, but the yellow tape on the electrostatic bag. That said that is how they ship their GPUs. The GPU is new from what I can tell. It even smelled new, but odd issues combined with the weird shipping methods made me think otherwise.