Buffer overflow error when using DDU

xneverov

Post by xneverov »

Hello! I have been using ddu for a long time to reinstall the nvidia driver, I update the driver every few months, so I always use ddu. Everything was fine until I installed Windows 11. After a clean installation of the system and its initial configuration, I always removed the nvidia dch driver. And so I rebooted into safe mode and started removing the driver in the ddu. Almost at the very beginning of the deletion, the system gave me a buffer overflow error, but the deletion continued and completed successfully. But this mistake bothers me... I thought the system was installed incorrectly, but I was reinstalling it and got this error. Maybe you can tell me what this error is related to and how to get rid of it?

Configuration:
DDU: v18.0.4.5
System: Windows 11 21H2 22000.282 (latest available version)
CPU: Intel Core i7-1000kf 4.7Mhz
GPU: GTX 1060 6Gb
MB: Msi Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
RAM: 16Gb 3600Mhz

I am ready to provide all the necessary information!
I attach a screenshot of the error and ddu log file.
PS: I'm sorry for the broken English, I use a translator.

log.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Buffer overflow error when using DDU

Post by Wagnard »

xneverov wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:34 pm Hello! I have been using ddu for a long time to reinstall the nvidia driver, I update the driver every few months, so I always use ddu. Everything was fine until I installed Windows 11. After a clean installation of the system and its initial configuration, I always removed the nvidia dch driver. And so I rebooted into safe mode and started removing the driver in the ddu. Almost at the very beginning of the deletion, the system gave me a buffer overflow error, but the deletion continued and completed successfully. But this mistake bothers me... I thought the system was installed incorrectly, but I was reinstalling it and got this error. Maybe you can tell me what this error is related to and how to get rid of it?

Configuration:
DDU: v18.0.4.5
System: Windows 11 21H2 22000.282 (latest available version)
CPU: Intel Core i7-1000kf 4.7Mhz
GPU: GTX 1060 6Gb
MB: Msi Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
RAM: 16Gb 3600Mhz

I am ready to provide all the necessary information!
I attach a screenshot of the error and ddu log file.
PS: I'm sorry for the broken English, I use a translator.

log.txt
Thanks for the information, that's the first time I have seen this, I'll check this. It could be an issue with windows 11.
xneverov

Post by xneverov »

Wagnard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:41 pm Thanks for the information, that's the first time I have seen this, I'll check this. It could be an issue with windows 11.
Thank you so much, let me know if you need information from me!
Also an important clarification, the system works fine, there are no errors, that is, the error occurs only when the driver is removed via ddu in a safe mode, I continue to use the system while I am looking for the cause of this error. I am a perfectionist and I want to deal with this error, because as far as I know, it can cause damage to those files that are outside the buffer.
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

xneverov wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:53 pm
Wagnard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:41 pm Thanks for the information, that's the first time I have seen this, I'll check this. It could be an issue with windows 11.
Also an important clarification, the system works fine, there are no errors, that is, the error occurs only when the driver is removed via ddu in a safe mode, I continue to use the system while I am looking for the cause of this error. I am a perfectionist and I want to deal with this error, because as far as I know, it can cause damage to those files that are outside the buffer.
My first intuition is that there could be a bug with explorer.exe and that it didn't like how ddu terminated it. I think there is no issue with this but I'll still try to repro this on my side.
As a safety precautions, you could terminate explorer yourself before cleaning with DDU
xneverov

Post by xneverov »

Wagnard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm
xneverov wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:53 pm
My first intuition is that there could be a bug with explorer.exe and that it didn't like how ddu terminated it. I think there is no issue with this but I'll still try to repro this on my side.
As a safety precautions, you could terminate explorer yourself before cleaning with DDU
Yes, I also thought about it, because there are about 20 seconds between stopping explorer in the logs and the error appearing. I will definitely try to kill explorer myself tomorrow before using ddu and let you know what happened.
xneverov

Post by xneverov »

Wagnard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm My first intuition is that there could be a bug with explorer.exe and that it didn't like how ddu terminated it.
I killed myself explorer.exe in safe mode and expectedly did not receive any error. But I want to look into this problem in detail. I'm worried that my system is vulnerable. I will calm down if it turns out that this is a massive error related to windows 11.
I don't want to see such errors when reinstalling the driver :roll:
xneverov

Post by xneverov »

Wagnard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm My first intuition is that there could be a bug with explorer.exe and that it didn't like how ddu terminated it. I think there is no issue with this but I'll still try to repro this on my side.
Do you have any new information about this problem?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

xneverov wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:29 am
Wagnard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:09 pm My first intuition is that there could be a bug with explorer.exe and that it didn't like how ddu terminated it. I think there is no issue with this but I'll still try to repro this on my side.
Do you have any new information about this problem?
Not yet, but what I can tell is there is absolutely no security problem having this in safemode while having no internet.
It is quipe possible it is a Microsoft issue with Windows 11 and that it will be fixed by them with a cumulative update.
I think you should not worry as long as this only happen in safe mode and only when ddu is cleaning.
Is that the case? Or does it happen at other time too?
xneverov

Post by xneverov »

Wagnard wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 am Not yet, but what I can tell is there is absolutely no security problem having this in safemode while having no internet.
It is quipe possible it is a Microsoft issue with Windows 11 and that it will be fixed by them with a cumulative update.
I think you should not worry as long as this only happen in safe mode and only when ddu is cleaning.
That's right, it only appears when using ddu, I don't know if it will appear if using ddu is not in safe mode, I always prefer safe mode.
Can I just kill on my own explorer.exe to avoid seeing this error? Will this in any way interfere with the operation of the ddu?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

xneverov wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:12 am
Wagnard wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 am Not yet, but what I can tell is there is absolutely no security problem having this in safemode while having no internet.
That's right, it only appears when using ddu, I don't know if it will appear if using ddu is not in safe mode, I always prefer safe mode.
Can I just kill on my own explorer.exe to avoid seeing this error? Will this in any way interfere with the operation of the ddu?
We have tried to repro this on 2 of our computers running Windows 11 (build 282) we have not been able to repro this.
So we dont know what / how your system is configured.