Questions For First Time Setup

KiLLa CaM

Post by KiLLa CaM »

First of all thank you Wagnard for creating this tool and hopefully it is useful to me. I'm wondering if the default settings when first opening the application are acceptable for my system. From what I have read on the forums, they should be but I have a few questions and will also post my specs. I plan to use this for gaming sessions, running it manually before a session as I don't need it to auto-run at startup. I mainly play games like Warzone and other FPS titles and have seen this can benefit system stability and performance in some titles. I currently have the settings for the options below as follows:

List Size - 1024
Free Memory - 3000 (saw this change on reddit I believe)
Wanted timer resolution - 0.50
Enable custom timer resolution is checked
Polling Rate - 1000ms

System Specs: i9-10850K, RTX 3080, ASUS Z490 ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO Motherboard, 32GB RAM

The only thing is my current timer resolution is shown as 0.496ms even though I have it set to 0.50ms. Is this an issue? Could you explain the timer resolution is and what it means? Is there anything I should change based on my system?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: Questions For First Time Setup

Post by Wagnard »

KiLLa CaM wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:32 am First of all thank you Wagnard for creating this tool and hopefully it is useful to me. I'm wondering if the default settings when first opening the application are acceptable for my system. From what I have read on the forums, they should be but I have a few questions and will also post my specs. I plan to use this for gaming sessions, running it manually before a session as I don't need it to auto-run at startup. I mainly play games like Warzone and other FPS titles and have seen this can benefit system stability and performance in some titles. I currently have the settings for the options below as follows:

List Size - 1024
Free Memory - 3000 (saw this change on reddit I believe)
Wanted timer resolution - 0.50
Enable custom timer resolution is checked
Polling Rate - 1000ms

System Specs: i9-10850K, RTX 3080, ASUS Z490 ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO Motherboard, 32GB RAM

The only thing is my current timer resolution is shown as 0.496ms even though I have it set to 0.50ms. Is this an issue? Could you explain the timer resolution is and what it means? Is there anything I should change based on my system?
With 32B RAM this should do. Technically the 1024 value for both option are good for 16GB+ ram. It really depend on the user usage and how the computer memory can deplete a 1GB ram in the Polling rate interval.
For the timer resolution, I don't think it's a problem, I did saw that quite a few time.
KiLLa CaM

Post by KiLLa CaM »

Wagnard wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:33 pm With 32B RAM this should do. Technically the 1024 value for both option are good for 16GB+ ram. It really depend on the user usage and how the computer memory can deplete a 1GB ram in the Polling rate interval.
For the timer resolution, I don't think it's a problem, I did saw that quite a few time.
Thank you for the response, much appreciated! I wasn't sure if I should lower the polling rate to 500ms if the change to 3000 for the second value was ok to do. And yeah for the timer resolution, even when I open the program for the first time it shows my current value is 0.99783ms instead of a flat 1.0 too. Possibly just how my motherboard manufacturer has it's values set I'd assume?
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

KiLLa CaM wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:07 pm
Wagnard wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:33 pm With 32B RAM this should do. Technically the 1024 value for both option are good for 16GB+ ram. It really depend on the user usage and how the computer memory can deplete a 1GB ram in the Polling rate interval.
Thank you for the response, much appreciated! I wasn't sure if I should lower the polling rate to 500ms if the change to 3000 for the second value was ok to do. And yeah for the timer resolution, even when I open the program for the first time it shows my current value is 0.99783ms instead of a flat 1.0 too. Possibly just how my motherboard manufacturer has it's values set I'd assume?
Yeah probably.
Also the polling must not be too low because it take a lillte bit of CPU usage to poll the memory information.
vmech

Post by vmech »

KiLLa CaM wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:07 pm Thank you for the response, much appreciated! I wasn't sure if I should lower the polling rate to 500ms if the change to 3000 for the second value was ok to do. And yeah for the timer resolution, even when I open the program for the first time it shows my current value is 0.99783ms instead of a flat 1.0 too. Possibly just how my motherboard manufacturer has it's values set I'd assume?
The value of the timer interval is in no way related to the any hardware. This interval value is set by a Windows kernel function. In most versions of Windows 10, timer interval values ​​are calculated as the reciprocal of powers of two. For example, the default interval of 15.625 ms is calculated as 1/(2**6), and the lowest possible interval of 0.48828125 ms is calculated as 1/(2**11).
It is for this reason that you will never see values ​​such as 0.5, 1.0, 15.0 ms, and so on.