Stop Windows 10 auto driver updates?

PolkSDA

Re: Stop Windows 10 auto driver updates?

Post by PolkSDA »

Dredging this back up as I too am seeing this behavior. The setting 'Prevent downloads of drivers from "Windows Update" when "Windows" search for a driver for a device' does not appear to be working at all.

Even with this checked, within 24-48 hours the newest nVidia drivers magically reinstall on the system. The Windows Device Manager setting to not install new drivers for the display driver doesn't seem to work either. I have to check my system every single day and manually roll back the drivers. Insanely annoying.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Juan

Post by Juan »

I'm so sorry when hearing that because I also have the same issue. I feel worse.
lx_

Post by lx_ »

yes, just been hit by this. the option to disable driver updates, is not working.
i wonder, ms released an update, which helps with windows update problems, if this can be working around the block.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 392450fb3a
or its just bugged
lx_

Post by lx_ »

found a way somewhere, to stop the auto updates. if you know what that is, replace the last line with your device. you can also add more than 1.
i used this and have no auto update so far. mind the double backslash "\\".

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]
"DenyDeviceIDs"=dword:00000001
"DenyDeviceIDsRetroactive"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\DenyDeviceIDs]
"1"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C03"

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

lx_ wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:15 am found a way somewhere, to stop the auto updates. if you know what that is, replace the last line with your device. you can also add more than 1.
i used this and have no auto update so far. mind the double backslash "\\".

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]
"DenyDeviceIDs"=dword:00000001
"DenyDeviceIDsRetroactive"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\DenyDeviceIDs]
"1"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C03"

We must be careful with this as I think this also prevent manual driver update with the Nvidia/ AMD installer too.
lx_

Post by lx_ »

yes. dont forget, that you tweaked it.