GPU not showing up in Device Manager on laptop, can't install drivers.

jeikwle

Post by jeikwle »

This only happened recently, I've been using the GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q in my Dell XPS 15 9570 just fine, but recently after noticing some issues with Shadowplay, I attempted to update the graphics card drivers through Geforce Experience, which failed, so I decided to try to reinstall Geforce Experience, but Geforce Experience can't install now because it doesn't detect an Nvidia GPU in my system.

I went into Device manager, and the Nvidia GPU wasn't there under Display Adaptors even when I turned on the "Show hidden devices" option, and there was no "Other Devices" section. The Nvidia Control Panel also couldn't detect an Nvidia GPU.

I tried downloading the drivers from Nvidia and installing them, which didn't work. I also tried downloading and installing the drivers from Dell for my specific laptop, but the installer still said "NVIDIA installer cannot continue. This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I tried using DDU and then reinstalling, I tried installing in safe mode, I tried reinstalling windows then installing the graphics driver, I tried flashing the BIOS, nothing worked, it still gave me the same errors.

What do I do now...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Re: GPU not showing up in Device Manager on laptop, can't install drivers.

Post by Wagnard »

jeikwle wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:45 am This only happened recently, I've been using the GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q in my Dell XPS 15 9570 just fine, but recently after noticing some issues with Shadowplay, I attempted to update the graphics card drivers through Geforce Experience, which failed, so I decided to try to reinstall Geforce Experience, but Geforce Experience can't install now because it doesn't detect an Nvidia GPU in my system.

I went into Device manager, and the Nvidia GPU wasn't there under Display Adaptors even when I turned on the "Show hidden devices" option, and there was no "Other Devices" section. The Nvidia Control Panel also couldn't detect an Nvidia GPU.

I tried downloading the drivers from Nvidia and installing them, which didn't work. I also tried downloading and installing the drivers from Dell for my specific laptop, but the installer still said "NVIDIA installer cannot continue. This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I tried using DDU and then reinstalling, I tried installing in safe mode, I tried reinstalling windows then installing the graphics driver, I tried flashing the BIOS, nothing worked, it still gave me the same errors.

What do I do now...
With all you tried, I would definitely contact Dell as the GPU may have a problem. That could be why you had some Shadowplay issue to start with.