What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

mikew003

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by mikew003 »

Thats a good point, I don't remember if I ticked that box in any of my attempts, its all a blur now and I took no notes. Ill keep that in mind for next time if I have to fix any future issues with this chipset, or just continue to use your tool!

Thanks again!
Mike

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

mikew003 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:13 am Thats a good point, I don't remember if I ticked that box in any of my attempts, its all a blur now and I took no notes. Ill keep that in mind for next time if I have to fix any future issues with this chipset, or just continue to use your tool!

Thanks again!
Mike
No problems,

You can also check this command prompt application : PNPUTIL it can list/remove packages too.
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Wagnard,

Please do something to make this feature's functionality more clear, in the UI. I shouldn't have to search the forums to figure out what it does! Signed up an account just for this..
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Jacob Klein wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:07 am Wagnard,

Please do something to make this feature's functionality more clear, in the UI. I shouldn't have to search the forums to figure out what it does! Signed up an account just for this..
I'll see what I can do.
So what you want is that the message and button #4 (or 5 if nVidia is chosen) get more details?
Jacob Klein

Post by Jacob Klein »

Wagnard wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:50 am

I'll see what I can do.
So what you want is that the message and button #4 (or 5 if nVidia is chosen) get more details?
First question: Is it a setting that is reflected in the Windows 10 UI, and can be undone in the Windows 10 UI? It seems like the answer is No, based on my testing, using Windows 10 Build 14986. Can you confirm?

Regarding what I'd like to see... that'd be something like:

The button text should say:
"Set Windows Device Installation settings to Default (automatically install drivers)"

When the setting gets changed, say something like:
"Windows Device Installation Settings have been changed to NOT automatically install drivers.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching\SearchOrderConfig
... changed from X to 0."

Then, if the user clicks the button:

If nothing happens, say:
"No change was made. Windows Device Installation Settings were already set to Default."

If something does change, say:
"Windows Device Installation Settings have been changed to automatically install drivers.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching\SearchOrderConfig
... changed from X to 1."
Wagnard
Site Admin

Post by Wagnard »

Jacob Klein wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:11 am
Wagnard wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:50 am

I'll see what I can do.
First question: Is it a setting that is reflected in the Windows 10 UI, and can be undone in the Windows 10 UI? It seems like the answer is No, based on my testing, using Windows 10 Build 14986. Can you confirm?

Regarding what I'd like to see... that'd be something like:

The button text should say:
"Set Windows Device Installation settings to Default (automatically install drivers)"

When the setting gets changed, say something like:
"Windows Device Installation Settings have been changed to NOT automatically install drivers.
... changed from X to 0."

Then, if the user clicks the button:

If nothing happens, say:
"No change was made. Windows Device Installation Settings were already set to Default."

If something does change, say:
"Windows Device Installation Settings have been changed to automatically install drivers.
... changed from X to 1."
I will try your suggestion and see what it look like.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Your suggestion are added for next version.