What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

WebMaximus
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:28 am

What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by WebMaximus »

Yesterday I tried out this tool for the first time and it worked out just fine and I now seem to have a very clean installation of the Nvidia drivers version I want.

One question though. During the process I was informed that DDU disabled some automatic update feature in Win10 for my graphics card and that I could re-enable it afterwards should I want to but I don't know exactly what it did and nor how to enabled/disable what it did.

Probably it's a good thing to keep this disabled but I would still like to know what changes are done to my system.

Where can I find more info about this and what was disabled by running DDU?

What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

User avatar
Wagnard
Site Admin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by Wagnard »

WebMaximus wrote:Yesterday I tried out this tool for the first time and it worked out just fine and I now seem to have a very clean installation of the Nvidia drivers version I want.

One question though. During the process I was informed that DDU disabled some automatic update feature in Win10 for my graphics card and that I could re-enable it afterwards should I want to but I don't know exactly what it did and nor how to enabled/disable what it did.

Probably it's a good thing to keep this disabled but I would still like to know what changes are done to my system.

Where can I find more info about this and what was disabled by running DDU?
Hi,
DDU change this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching (Value SearchOrderConfig to 0 )

The Button #4 Just set it back to 1.

What this typically does is denying Device manager from searching Windows Update for driver.
Beware that it doesn't deny Windows Update to search for driver update.

WebMaximus
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:28 am

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by WebMaximus »

Got it, thanks a lot for your quick reply and the explanation!

Rufus07
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:26 am

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by Rufus07 »

Using DDU With success removing Nvidia Graphic Driver, however I can see that Windows Update has info about installing this driver again and if I want to do so I have to start a separate installation by clicking install now. I do not want to install this driver again (at least not for the moment). Do I have to live With this Message in WU or is it a way to remove the Message without installing the driver? It is no problem to leave the Message there however it could confuse me sometime in the future):

User avatar
Wagnard
Site Admin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by Wagnard »

Rufus07 wrote:Using DDU With success removing Nvidia Graphic Driver, however I can see that Windows Update has info about installing this driver again and if I want to do so I have to start a separate installation by clicking install now. I do not want to install this driver again (at least not for the moment). Do I have to live With this Message in WU or is it a way to remove the Message without installing the driver? It is no problem to leave the Message there however it could confuse me sometime in the future):
If your driver that you have installed is more recent than the driver being offered by Windows update, you can let it sit there. Even if you click install, it will not do so (at least, that didn't happens for me when this happened).

Rufus07
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:26 am

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by Rufus07 »

Well, I do not want any driver Version to be installed. I Guess I just leave the Message there, however if I do a manual update in WU the driver would possibly also be installed again I Guess?

mikew003
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:18 am

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by mikew003 »

Wagnard wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:41 am
Hi,
DDU change this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching (Value SearchOrderConfig to 0 )

The Button #4 Just set it back to 1.

What this typically does is denying Device manager from searching Windows Update for driver.
Beware that it doesn't deny Windows Update to search for driver update.
Hi Wagnard, first off thanks for this utility and for this response, I just ran your tool to troubleshoot some gfx issues I thought stemmed from the KB3213986 fiasco, and I was left wondering the same question as to what the tool changes for automatic updates.

Just a follow up question to this, do you know why this needs to be done as opposed to simply changing the Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings -> Automatically download -> "NO"? Is this what prevents Windows Updates from searching for the driver?

I can confirm that when I changed this setting prior to using your tool, MS still installed THEIR recommended driver instead of the one I wanted, and after running your tool and changing this reg key, I was able to install the driver I wanted with no issues..

I have to say MS is really getting on my nerves with this automatic installation shit lately, in the last 24 hours I had to uninstall KB3213986 due to issues with Gfx, and now this automatic Driver installation headache... Thankfully there are folks like you out there helping us, for that I owe you beer or two.

Thanks again for your hard work and efforts
Mike

User avatar
Wagnard
Site Admin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by Wagnard »

mikew003 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:31 am
Wagnard wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:41 am
Hi,
DDU change this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching (Value SearchOrderConfig to 0 )

The Button #4 Just set it back to 1.

What this typically does is denying Device manager from searching Windows Update for driver.
Beware that it doesn't deny Windows Update to search for driver update.
Hi Wagnard, first off thanks for this utility and for this response, I just ran your tool to troubleshoot some gfx issues I thought stemmed from the KB3213986 fiasco, and I was left wondering the same question as to what the tool changes for automatic updates.

Just a follow up question to this, do you know why this needs to be done as opposed to simply changing the Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings -> Automatically download -> "NO"? Is this what prevents Windows Updates from searching for the driver?

I can confirm that when I changed this setting prior to using your tool, MS still installed THEIR recommended driver instead of the one I wanted, and after running your tool and changing this reg key, I was able to install the driver I wanted with no issues..

I have to say MS is really getting on my nerves with this automatic installation shit lately, in the last 24 hours I had to uninstall KB3213986 due to issues with Gfx, and now this automatic Driver installation headache... Thankfully there are folks like you out there helping us, for that I owe you beer or two.

Thanks again for your hard work and efforts
Mike
Thanks for the beer :D

For your question, what it do should be similar to what you posted. I'm surprised my version via registry work better. But oh well...

mikew003
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:18 am

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by mikew003 »

Wagnard wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:11 am

Thanks for the beer :D

For your question, what it do should be similar to what you posted. I'm surprised my version via registry work better. But oh well...
Yeah, its kind of weird isn't it?

I was quick to judge MS thinking their hardware setting didn't work on purpose, but its entirely plausible the difference was with your tool the driver was completely removed vs Right clicking -> uninstalling. If I remember correctly, the latter still keeps the driver locally and easily accessible by the installer.

Sound theory?

I guess if I was super invested in figuring it out, I could go through the steps again without disabling either setting and see which driver gets installed, but its my main machine, its working, and I have work to do lol.

User avatar
Wagnard
Site Admin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: What automatic update feature in Win10 is disabled by DDU?

Post by Wagnard »

mikew003 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:52 am
Wagnard wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:11 am

Thanks for the beer :D

For your question, what it do should be similar to what you posted. I'm surprised my version via registry work better. But oh well...
Yeah, its kind of weird isn't it?

I was quick to judge MS thinking their hardware setting didn't work on purpose, but its entirely plausible the difference was with your tool the driver was completely removed vs Right clicking -> uninstalling. If I remember correctly, the latter still keeps the driver locally and easily accessible by the installer.

Sound theory?

I guess if I was super invested in figuring it out, I could go through the steps again without disabling either setting and see which driver gets installed, but its my main machine, its working, and I have work to do lol.
Yeah, but if you remove he device via device manager and select the tick box (Delete the driver software for this device) it *should* remove the driver locally too.

Post Reply